520rpm Drive Shaft Balance?

SleeperMark

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I finally have the time to get my 93 shaft balanced. The only drive shaft shop that I can find near me says they balance the shafts at 520rpm... I know that the shop is big into drag racing so I would assume they know that they're doing. The guy says that the new machines are so precise that there is no need for the high speed balances anymore. Plus he said he would do it for $35. Does this sound fishy to anyone else? I don't know much about the new ways of doing these things.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

That's what I was thinking. I don't have that kind of dough though. Broke college student here. lol what should I be looking for in a good balance?

To be honest.

6,000 RPM.

The VIII is a VERY sensitive chassis when it comes to any driveline component being out of balance.

If you can't afford it fine. The 35 dollar balance may help. But you should definitely go big in this respect.

Yea. If I had the money I would do it in a heartbeat. I'll keep an eye out for other shops. Can't do anything until the 8th anyway. If anyone reads this and knows of a shop in the St. Louis MO area, feel free to chime in please.

Right on the Mark said:
Ask if they guarantee their work? And if does not work get your $ back?
Great idea! Only part that sucks is that it's such a PITA to get out with jackstands. Lol

If you have a lot of miles on that shaft I would replace the trunnion bearings while getting the shaft balanced. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear!

Yea. If I had the money I would do it in a heartbeat. I'll keep an eye out for other shops. Can't do anything until the 8th anyway. If anyone reads this and knows of a shop in the St. Louis MO area, feel free to chime in please.

Driveshafts Unlimited
3608 Market
Arnold, MO 63010
(636) 296-2841
www.driveshaftsunlimited.com

That is THE place to go for driveshaft-related work in the St. Louis area. They do excellent work and have a great reputation among the racing and 4-wheeling groups in the area.

Denny's balances 10,000 rpm's and does not balance any shafts they did not build.

They CAN balance to 10k rpm...they don't balance every driveshaft at that rate.

And straight from their website:

Can I send my factory driveshaft in for repair or balance?

Yes. We offer repair service for alterations, balancing or diagnosis purposes. Please call to have an order written so that we know what to do with your driveshaft when it arrives.

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/frequently_asked_questions.html#faq_id20

racecougar said:

Driveshafts Unlimited
3608 Market
Arnold, MO 63010
(636) 296-2841
www.driveshaftsunlimited.com

That is THE place to go for driveshaft-related work in the St. Louis area. They do excellent work and have a great reputation among the racing and 4-wheeling groups in the area.
That's actually who I was talking to. Lol. That's great news!!

I'd have no qualms about having them do the work. I've done quite a bit of business with them over the years, and I have zero complaints.

racecougar said:
I'd have no qualms about having them do the work. I've done quite a bit of business with them over the years, and I have zero complaints.
Sweet. I can't wait to get this fixed. I want to get to the track soon. Hoping for some high 13's....

Keep us posted on your DS balance results. I have a '93 one piece I'd like to have done too. Of course I'm not going to drive all the way to St. Louie to have mine done. There's a local shop here but I don't know of their reputation.

97 Octane said:
Keep us posted on your DS balance results. I have a '93 one piece I'd like to have done too. Of course I'm not going to drive all the way to St. Louie to have mine done. There's a local shop here but I don't know their reputation.
Will do.

Members online

No members online now.
Back