$50 Race HELP!

2002_LS_V8

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyways i posted on here a week ago how i raced a chiped jetta and beat him kind of easy i guess... now he was talkign trash to all my friends and saying how he will eat up my car :shifty: so then they told him if hes so sure to race me for 50 bucks and he agreed and i couldnt back out... anyways what can i do to make my car faster by this saturday?? i can probobly only modify the air box and thats it.. Race is from a stop up to 100, im hoping that i can take him off teh line, but i think it will be hard because his car is a stick :shifty: what all can i do to try and win? please help me out, i dont care if i loose $50 but then he will keep talking trash :rolleyes:

ps: this car wasent bought for racing, btu for some reason everyone wants a peace of my LS... :L

2002_LS_V8 said:
Anyways i posted on here a week ago how i raced a chiped jetta and beat him kind of easy i guess... now he was talkign trash to all my friends and saying how he will eat up my car :shifty: so then they told him if hes so sure to race me for 50 bucks and he agreed and i couldnt back out... anyways what can i do to make my car faster by this saturday?? i can probobly only modify the air box and thats it.. Race is from a stop up to 100, im hoping that i can take him off teh line, but i think it will be hard because his car is a stick :shifty: what all can i do to try and win? please help me out, i dont care if i loose $50 but then he will keep talking trash :rolleyes:

ps: this car wasent bought for racing, btu for some reason everyone wants a peace of my LS... :L

Take the spare out... and run with a 1/4 tank of gas.

104 octane racing fuel, ram air from lower grill...stage from about 2k rpms. Or just spend $550 on a NX wetkit, have it installed in a day...then you will really surprise him!

If no racing fuel you can usually by NOS octane booster (+6 pts) from Autozone...premium 92 + 6 = 98 octane! 1/4 tank of gas is good too.

ok thnx guys? will that high octane hurt my ride? cuz i would rather loose $50 then loose my engine lol, what do u mean ram air from the grill?

well he said hes car was in limp mode... i dotn belive it tho, plus its a turbo he could have turned up the boost right? and he pay'd 600 for a chip thats supposed to make him run high 14's... i ran 15.4@92 and i beat him by 3+cars by 120... it dont make sense thats why im a little worried..

98 octane wont hurt at all. In fact it cleans ur fuel system (as advertised). I've never ran 99+ octane so I'm not 100% sure on that, lol. By "ram air through the grill" I am talking about removing your sotck airbox and using the angled half as a "scoop" behind the lower grill connected to a 3" piece of tubing that runs up to the filter bay (or whatever you wanna call it).

2002_LS_V8 said:
well he said hes car was in limp mode... i dotn belive it tho, plus its a turbo he could have turned up the boost right? and he pay'd 600 for a chip thats supposed to make him run high 14's... i ran 15.4@92 and i beat him by 3+cars by 120... it dont make sense thats why im a little worried..

He probably got one of those 1 dollar ebay resistors claiming his car is chipped now. :D

lol could be i guess... anyways would that ram air hurt my engine for 1 hr of driving and couple races?? since there is no filter... and should i have t/c on or off? if its off i kind of have traction problems for the first 3-4 sec... and if its on it looses too much power.

heat up the rubber real good before you meet up with him this way you know you will grab and hook

JoeyGood said:
heat up the rubber real good before you meet up with him this way you know you will grab and hook
k ill do that when im staging for the race... by the way how reliable are our trannys... im kind of worried i mean it shifts perfect and teh car only has 45K miles, but still :confused:

Trannie will be fine. Mine has 85k and I race every weekend. Shifts perfectly. LEAVE THE TRACTION CONTROL OFF! LEAVE THE A/C OFF! TURN EVERYTHING BUT THE CAR OFF! LOL!

Everyone realizes that higher octane gasoline is actually more difficult to burn, right? That's why high octane fuel is used in high psi blower/turbo applications... where the compression ration really skyrockets... to help avoid detonation. Higher octane fuel in a stock LS will give you no performance gains.

As for heating up your tires, unless you've got 500hp and/or are running drag slicks, you won't need to warm them up. You do want to make sure they are clear of debris such as dirt and rocks, etc. If you warm them up too much, they're likely to get greasy and stay greasy so when you launch, you'll do nothing but spin.

Weight removal and tire pressure are your only real help. Remove as much dead weight as you can... subs in the trunk, the spare tire, floormats, hell... even remove the passenger's front seat... gotta be worth at least a 10th in the quarter. Raise your tire pressure in the front to 50psi and drop the rears to about 25.

Then again, maybe the guy was sand-baggin' you the first time so you'd drop some money on the next race.

Order the Xcal2, the CAI Intake Tube from LSKoncepts, and ether the magnaflow or borla exhaust. All put together you'll have around 300Hp 300lb you'll take him no problom unless he sprays in witch case all bets are off.

kidnap a family relative.. throw em in ur trunk..i think he will let u win again :)

naw.. u got a v6 or v8?

lexdiamondz10304 said:
No, high octane fuel will not hurt your engine. Its the other way around.

...use the octane that is ment for your car. I dont understand why yall get wet dreams over 98 octane, or 104 octane, or 1,000 octane. If you take 91, use 91...and nothing else. if you use 87, use 87, and nothing else. If you go to low, you run the risk of pre detonation. If you run to high, you run the risk of incomplete detonation, which means LOSS OF POWER! DUR, use the recomended octane.

the falacy comes from racing gas being high octane. Its not the fact that racing gas is high octane, but how the gas is mixed. There are many highly combustable chemicals in racing gas, as compaired to pump gas. If you want to get power from gas, go to the track and fill her up. Youll run hotter, get full combustion, and by getting the higher octane in the racing gas, you dont run the risk of pre detonation. But expect to pay @ $6 per gal.

mholhut said:
Everyone realizes that higher octane gasoline is actually more difficult to burn, right? That's why high octane fuel is used in high psi blower/turbo applications... where the compression ration really skyrockets... to help avoid detonation. Higher octane fuel in a stock LS will give you no performance gains.

As for heating up your tires, unless you've got 500hp and/or are running drag slicks, you won't need to warm them up. You do want to make sure they are clear of debris such as dirt and rocks, etc. If you warm them up too much, they're likely to get greasy and stay greasy so when you launch, you'll do nothing but spin.

Weight removal and tire pressure are your only real help. Remove as much dead weight as you can... subs in the trunk, the spare tire, floormats, hell... even remove the passenger's front seat... gotta be worth at least a 10th in the quarter. Raise your tire pressure in the front to 50psi and drop the rears to about 25.

Then again, maybe the guy was sand-baggin' you the first time so you'd drop some money on the next race.

you are right on the money, except...if he guts his car and the other guy doesnt, he will flame him for saying its not a fair race, and then guess what...another thread about a rematch. Dont go so drastic in saving weight as to be obvious about it, but enough that it counts.

I dont know if youd be willing to, but if you get tires with a shallow sidewall (ie. 225/60/16> 225/40/16) will give you a better time accelerating. its kinda like stepping up your gears by .05. I noticed when i did that, i was getting much better times. I dont know if its true that its because of the tires, but it certiantly seemed to help.

I think you're being sand bagged. I would be worried too if I were you. The SCT tuner would be your best option. Have it over night freighted to you. Tell Torrie to load a good hot tune for you and then use some better fuel to keep it out of detonation. But if he's turned up the wick on his turbo...you could be in trouble.

you did not mention what chip he has.. what gains he has made.

my best time at the track is 15.1.. i went with a friend who has a chipped jetta and his first time at the track his best was 15.2.

he now has a larger turbo and all that goes along with it.. i no longer have any remote chance.

quite honestly, you are going to loose. if it were from a roll then you'd have a chance.

Members online

No members online now.
Back