$50 Race HELP!

Take the spare out, the spare cover, floor mats, girl, pretty much anything and everything removable. That weight really effects the LS. I had 5 people in the car today and it didn't pick up worth a D*** Talk about 8 and a half seconds to 60 with a full car...So a 60 pound spare will make you run ABOUT a 8 hundreths of a second quicker...every little bit counts. Run octane booster as well and only run him with enough fuel to race him and get you home. There is no way you can add power to your car in such little time, just lighten your load and go.

Remember, rubbing is racing!! So if you don't mind a few dents and scratches, you could always run him off the road and hope his car goes up in flames. Then, he won't be able to challenge you again and you still won the race!!

TheRebel said:
Remember, rubbing is racing!! So if you don't mind a few dents and scratches, you could always run him off the road and hope his car goes up in flames. Then, he won't be able to challenge you again and you still won the race!!

We drive Lincolns...not civics...

hehe yea its not a civic man... and saturday is comming up guys so get rdy for a good video of LS vs Jetta ;)

2002_LS_V8 said:
hehe yea its not a civic man... and saturday is comming up guys so get rdy for a good video of LS vs Jetta ;)

Remember to drive safe. Don't want the po'po's scraping any LVC members off the ground anytime soon. ;)

Waterloo, eh? Me too.

Anyway, octane won't make a difference in performance or fuel milage unless you have detonation. Unless you have DR's, heating the tires is a bad thing. Radials work better cold. Weight transfer without the spare won't be a big deal. My car won't spin the tires off the line, even with TC off, so transfer really means nothing.

BigSteve said:
Waterloo, eh? Me too.

Anyway, octane won't make a difference in performance or fuel milage unless you have detonation. Unless you have DR's, heating the tires is a bad thing. Radials work better cold. Weight transfer without the spare won't be a big deal. My car won't spin the tires off the line, even with TC off, so transfer really means nothing.

Hey bigsteve what color is your LS man?? maybey i seen u up on university where people hang out all the time, i know there is one more LS that comes up there its brown color i think.. and if its u remember when we were driving next to each other and u steped on it? that was me in the blue LS :cool:

2002_LS_V8 said:
Hey bigsteve what color is your LS man?? maybey i seen u up on university where people hang out all the time, i know there is one more LS that comes up there its brown color i think.. and if its u remember when we were driving next to each other and u steped on it? that was me in the blue LS :cool:
Probably not me. I have an '06 Black V8 LS. My wife has an '05 Black Aviator. My summer car is an '01 Cobra convertible. I have been known to cruise university in the cobra with the top down on occasion... ;)

I'll keep an eye out for a blue LS in the future. :cool:

BigSteve said:
Anyway, octane won't make a difference in performance or fuel milage unless you have detonation.

Correction..."unless your tuned for it". It avoids detonation thus allowing more spark timing to be added via the tune which makes more power.

BigSteve said:
Unless you have DR's, heating the tires is a bad thing. Radials work better cold.

Another wives tale. Heating the street radials does help. Being that they are made of different compounds they only should be heated for so long to get them cleaned off and to temp. Slicks, ET's, and DR's take much longer, with slicks being the longest.

BigSteve said:
Weight transfer without the spare won't be a big deal.

I dont believe they meant weight transfer. I believe they meant more like less total weight which means better power to weight ratio.

I don't mean to rag on your post, but I seen more than a few inconsistencies that needed correction. ;)

rocket5979 said:
Correction..."unless your tuned for it". It avoids detonation thus allowing more spark timing to be added via the tune which makes more power.
I think that is quite obvious. I'm guessing from his post that he has no mods, therefore is not tuned for it, therefore will not make a difference in his race.

rocket5979 said:
Another wives tale. Heating the street radials does help. Being that they are made of different compounds they only should be heated for so long to get them cleaned off and to temp. Slicks, ET's, and DR's take much longer, with slicks being the longest.
I don't know what you race, but in all my cars, as long as your treads aren't full of gravel, it won't make a lick of difference. A stock LS will see no gain from heating the radials because it can't spin them off the line regardless. My cobra on the other hand...

rocket5979 said:
I dont believe they meant weight transfer. I believe they meant more like less total weight which means better power to weight ratio.
TheRebel said:
Wouldn't the spare tire and/or subs over the rear axle help with take off? I thought that was why a lot of people moved their batteries to the trunk. Kind of like putting sand/salt bags in the trunk in snowy weather to get better traction. I would think cutting the wieght somewhere else would be better like removing the passenger seat. If he grips, oh well, after all you don't know what mods he could have done to his car since the last time you raced.
This is what I was referring to. He's referring to weight transfer (more weight over the rear axle), which isn't a problem in this case. Total weight is the issue, which is why removing the spare is a good idea. Like you said, power to weight.

rocket5979 said:
I don't mean to rag on your post, but I seen more than a few inconsistencies that needed correction. ;)
Not trying to rag on your post, but perhaps some comprehension is needed. ;) I know what I am talking aboot.

BigSteve said:
I don't know what you race, but in all my cars, as long as your treads aren't full of gravel, it won't make a lick of difference. A stock LS will see no gain from heating the radials because it can't spin them off the line regardless. My cobra on the other hand...

I never mentioned anything of a stock LS. You made a blanket statement regarding street radials not benefitting from a burnout at the track, which is not true. While they should not be heated as long as a slick, they still benefit from it. I am running a 400rwhp Kenne Bell 2.2 supercharged Explorer right now and go to the track on a weekly basis. Soon it will have 600+ to the wheels so I know a thing or two about needing traction. :D

BigSteve said:
This is what I was referring to. He's referring to weight transfer (more weight over the rear axle), which isn't a problem in this case. Total weight is the issue, which is why removing the spare is a good idea. Like you said, power to weight.

Ok, I was referring to a post on the last page, not the first one. no wonder we didn't know where the heck each other was coming from on that one.

BigSteve said:
Not trying to rag on your post, but perhaps some comprehension is needed. ;) I know what I am talking aboot.

Comprehension was and still is there, which was why I replied in the first place instead of assuming you meant something else. If your going to mention something regarding what someone else posted quote them so as to avoid confusion. Don't be one of "those" new guys.

This is why i love this place. 2 guys battling it out, love it. Rocket I must admit you do know your s--t. Ay first i thought u were just some chump but over time you have become one of the most knowledgeable posters here. Im sure otehr will agree.

Also are you guys from waterloo, Ill. If so tell me where the race is and ill come smoke your boy in my LS

itsnotmydaddys said:
This is why i love this place. 2 guys battling it out, love it. Rocket I must admit you do know your s--t. Ay first i thought u were just some chump but over time you have become one of the most knowledgeable posters here. Im sure otehr will agree.

Also are you guys from waterloo, Ill. If so tell me where the race is and ill come smoke your boy in my LS

Thanks....I think.....;) :D :D :D :D I hear ya. :cool:

Speaking of races...If you ever want to make it up to GLD in Union Grove, Wi that is where I race at. The track prep sucks balls, but I don't feel like driving to Byron quite yet. ;)

rocket5979 said:
I never mentioned anything of a stock LS. You made a blanket statement regarding street radials not benefitting from a burnout at the track, which is not true. While they should not be heated as long as a slick, they still benefit from it. I am running a 400rwhp Kenne Bell 2.2 supercharged Explorer right now and go to the track on a weekly basis. Soon it will have 600+ to the wheels so I know a thing or two about needing traction. :D
Agreed. I think we both know that street radials will show some benefit from heating, my comment was for this thread, entitled "$50 race help!", in which there is clearly lots of good information, and lots of not-so-good information.

rocket5979 said:
Ok, I was referring to a post on the last page, not the first one. no wonder we didn't know where the heck each other was coming from on that one.
Ironically enough, I didn't want to make my first post a monstrously long, quoted frankenstein where I would be calling out other members of a forum. That was why I was vague.

rocket5979 said:
Comprehension was and still is there, which was why I replied in the first place instead of assuming you meant something else. If your going to mention something regarding what someone else posted quote them so as to avoid confusion. Don't be one of "those" new guys.
"Those" new guys?:confused: The kind that know what they are talking about?

I'm really not trying to be a dick. I have read these forums off and on for a year or so, when we were deciding whether or not get my wife's Aviator. I saw a guy on here from Waterloo, thought it was cool, and posted. The guy has a stock LS, untuned, and he is getting advice telling him to run race gas, and octane boosters, remove weight, don't remove weight, etc. I wanted to give him some clear advice for his car in the situation he asked about.

itsnotmydaddys said:
Nope. Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. It will be a long drive from Il. ;)

2002_LS_V8 said:

do you have mirror tint? if so, i think i've seen you around.

i too have a blue LS.

LuxurySport00 said:

i too have a blue LS.
Nope, no tint. :( Maybe soon, I'm still stock. I work in Guelph, so I don't drive around the city too much.

How many people are here from Waterloo! :confused: I rarely run into other Canadians, let alone people from the same city as me.

LuxurySport00 said:

i too have a blue LS.

Im from Waterloo, IA- USA, not from canada man :shifty: and no tint its stock for another couple weeks then its getting the tint :cool:

Hey BigSteve what color is your cobra man?? and you should coem up there with it and teach this ricer a lesson because i dont think i can since he send me this video of beating on my friends 1995 TA(auto) and 1997 Mustang GT (auto) with intake/exhaust... my car might be a little faster but ill still get beat since he pretty much walked them..http://videos.streetfire.net/video/A39F0CB4-EC89-4D7F-B97C-371968E7CB30.htm NO MATTER U WILL HAVE A VIDEO OF A LS REPRESENTING LOL :(

2002_LS_V8 said:
Im from Waterloo, IA- USA, not from canada man :shifty: and no tint its stock for another couple weeks then its getting the tint :cool:

that's crazy b/c this comment fits very well with the waterloo i'm in :

maybey i seen u up on university where people hang out all the time,

i had assumed you meant university plaza.

kinda funny = )

Oh and dont listen to thoes little ricers in the video it will only make u stupider..:shifty: :mad: im gonna have to rematch the :q:q:q:qer after i get Xcal2 intake and exhaust then ill show him... o well i still drive a way better car then him :L lol :(

LuxurySport00 said:
that's crazy b/c this comment fits very well with the waterloo i'm in :

i had assumed you meant university plaza.

kinda funny = )

ahah no man there is University ave. down here where we cruse and then pull over and hand out :) , well im off to do a tune up on my BEAST lol :cool:

2002_LS_V8 said:

Hey BigSteve what color is your cobra man?? and you should coem up there with it and teach this ricer a lesson because i dont think i can since he send me this video of beating on my friends 1995 TA(auto) and 1997 Mustang GT (auto) with intake/exhaust... my car might be a little faster but ill still get beat since he pretty much walked them..http://videos.streetfire.net/video/A39F0CB4-EC89-4D7F-B97C-371968E7CB30.htm NO MATTER U WILL HAVE A VIDEO OF A LS REPRESENTING LOL :(
Actually, I'm from Canada too. I figured you were talking about University plaza as well. :slam:

FWIW, my cobra is black, but I don't think I'm going to drive down to Illinois. :D

BigSteve said:
"Those" new guys?:confused: The kind that know what they are talking about?

I'm really not trying to be a dick. I have read these forums off and on for a year or so, when we were deciding whether or not get my wife's Aviator. I saw a guy on here from Waterloo, thought it was cool, and posted. The guy has a stock LS, untuned, and he is getting advice telling him to run race gas, and octane boosters, remove weight, don't remove weight, etc. I wanted to give him some clear advice for his car in the situation he asked about.

Hey bro, I didn't mean it like that. I meant the new guy comment as in not following protocol when posting (quoting), so as to avoid confusion. I will take another new knowledgeable poster over one that asks 50 million questions any day. Usually saves me time posting.

Advice from people whom are experienced with these things is always welcome here, I just wanted to point out a few things that could have been misinterpreted if people took them the wrong way. ;) Some people tend to dodge in and out of forums and only browse through pieces of info before acting on things without really researching them. Call that lazy human nature I guess...:D I have found that in order to prevent confusion on their part resulting in vehicular damage or worse, I tend to overexplain things. Yeah, it may seem longwinded, but I try not to leave any room for interpretation, or for a person to say "well, did that apply to MY vehicle too?". I hope ya hear where I am coming from here.

I know the member base here can benefit from one more member who has some good knowledge. All I suggest is that we take the time to explain certain things in full detail is all. :Beer

Members online

Back