4r70w high rpms needed to get in gear

Chromebrow

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Im looking at buying a truck and found a nice 98 F150 4x4. The guy says its all good except to get the trans into drive you need to get it up to about 2300 rpms and then it slamms into gear. (no its not a stall converter). drives fine after that unless you shift out of drive to R or P, then you gotta rev it again

Tranny shop says its a $60 pressure switch in the tranny, does that sound accurate?

Bonus is I have a 4e70w just sitting in the garage right now, So whats your take on this issue. I figured you all would know and could shed some light for me.

I don't know much about auto tranny's, but a pressure switch sounds logical because if you need to build up pressure in order for it to engage, then apparently it's a pressure issue.

It's the line pressure solenoid. If you have one and you know that's the problem, it takes about an hour at the most to swap that part out. It just plugs in but you have to remove the gear selector nut using a wrench on each end of the selector arm to loosen the nut and remove. It has a pin that holds it in place that has to be pulled out with some needle nose. The line pressure solenoid has a plug built onto it already but then entire solenoid just pulls out. It's fairly simple to swap out. The black part below is it. On the very edge of the trans, you'll see the small black hole. That's where the pin is that has to come out so that the gear selector can be moved out of the way. The solenoid will not come out unless the gear selector is moved, which is easy to do. The solenoid itself, once you get to it is a 10 second swap.

image049.jpg

You rock in a way that no bunch of bowing smiley faces can explain. but here it is anyway.
Your the evil red king...in a good way
.:bow:

No problem and I meant to mention that the valve body needs to come off too but seriously, it's all easy to do. Just take your time with it and take pics as you go so that nothing it forgotten. You could do a j-mod on it too while the valve body is out for about $5 or $6. Just call Maxx for the two gaskets that are needed. I can send you the drilling specs (simplified) version.

I gotta see if he still has the truck after some smuck comes to look at it in the morning and then I need to discuss a half now half later thing. Im broke and just need a truck so he said he consider it. Wish me luck.....to find a bag full of cash somewhere.

Members online

Back