383 strocker+tranny swap, any advice?

Gipp

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
so I know this is the LS thread, but being that my LS is currently out of commission I am going to start a new project until I get the funds for a new LS.

I have a Trans am that was wrecked. Pulled the engine and trans and sold it. Still have everything else on the car. My intentions have always been to drop a 383 into it, and nows just as good of a time as any. SO.. anyone know where the best place to get this set-up is?

Here is the best block that I have found so far--> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0344337539&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

Cant seem to find a tranny for it...:(
Will I have to change out the drivetrain too so it will bolt up??

What is the best mods for a 383? Figure Ill get them knocked out while the engine is still out of the car. I have considered the possibility of a turbo or supercharger (wet is illegal in Tn.. not an option), but the only supercharger I found was ungodly expensive (a little over 6k).

Anyways, just any tips and advice on this project would be appreciated guys!!

Not to be an ass... But...

Why the hell are you asking detailed questions about a Trans Am in the LS section of a Lincoln / Caddy site, when there are a sh!t ton of F-body forums where everything you could ever possibly want to know is covered. :confused:

because Im not asking about a feature on a TA or how something works on a TA or any of that junk. Typically there are alot ppl here that know their sh!t, and I was hoping they would be willing to help me out with my questions on an engine swap no matter what vehicle I am working on. why would I got search for an F-body forum and risk being fill with bs from some random guy I dont trust when there are ppl here I already have faith in.:)

And even tho you said "Not to be an ass"... your still coming off that way. tsk tsk.. no need in all that.

depends on what your going to be using the car for. If its going to be mainly used for a street use a 700r4, which these came with stock will bolt up and work just fine! but if its mainly going to be a strip car you might go with a TH400, i do believe! While your at it might want to change your rear end gears to something more desirable like 4.11 or 3.73 with posi. (gear ratios suck) Its funny I'm in the middle of building a 383 for my camaro also!

Last edited:
please someone correct me if i have confused some of these numbers, i am at work and not looking at my notebook with this information in it! Not to mention tired!

You can also use the T-56 transmission with aluminum bell part#1386-000-017.

Gipp you should do your homework before you get rid of parts. What motor was in the T/A ? If it was a 350 block it might have been cheaper just to take it to the machine shop and have them bore it to a 383. That car normally comes stock with the 700 series trans. Which means you could have thrown in a different torque converter and most likely would have been find with that. As for the rear see if you can find a Ford 9 inch and go with that. Other wise i would run 373's depending on what you wanna do. What are you trying to do with this car exactly??

My plans are to just make it a quick street car.

Lol, and yea, I know I could have used the block from the 350 and the trans but Im OCD. If I own something that I cant use right away then I sell it.. cant stand clutter, always been that way.

Thanks guys, I didnt even think about changing out the gears.:Bang

Gipp you should do your homework before you get rid of parts. What motor was in the T/A ? If it was a 350 block it might have been cheaper just to take it to the machine shop and have them bore it to a 383. That car normally comes stock with the 700 series trans. Which means you could have thrown in a different torque converter and most likely would have been find with that. As for the rear see if you can find a Ford 9 inch and go with that. Other wise i would run 373's depending on what you wanna do. What are you trying to do with this car exactly??

you don't bore out a 350 to make a 383 stroker.... it's a 350 sb with an altered 400 siamese bore crank with a larger stroke... hence the name..stroker:slam

If you can't find SBC parts you need help....

haha, not so much that I couldnt find them, just that I couldnt find any reasonably priced. Think Ive just about made up my mind tho. Im going to get a lt1 and tranny from this scrapyard I found one on google for $900. Just tear them apart and begin building them back up (bringing the block to a machine shop to have it bored to a 383 of course).

Your not boring it to a 383 damnit, your only boring it .030 over which would makethe bore 4.030 that plus the stroke makes it 383cu in. .040 over plus the same stroker crank would make it a 385. The stroker crank with a standard chevy 4.0in bore would bring it to about a 377 but its not the new desired 377, the one thats really coming around now is a 400sbc block/standard bore with a destroked crank, those are some serious high RPM screamers. Seriously tho, just go to Thirdgen.org, Im assuming its a thirdgen from people saying yours had a 700R4

And even tho you said "Not to be an ass"... your still coming off that way. tsk tsk.. no need in all that.

Yeah, suppose you're right. Guess some people bring out the worst in me. :p

Well I didn't wanna go into full detail about the engine. First off I didn't know if he had a v6 or a 305 or a 350 block. I was just touching the surface so Gipp or anyone else would understand where a 383 begins life. I don't even know what year his car is for that matter.

I was just touching the surface so Gipp or anyone else would understand where a 383 begins life.

Well, a 383 stroker doesn't begin life by taking a 350 to a machine shop and having it bored to 383 does it?

Actually yes it does 93. How else would you get the .30 bore for the pistons? and what other block would you use?? So in this application it really does apply. Its where you go from here that makes or breaks the 383. Unless you go with a mopar block.

Uh... Huh...

If it was a 350 block it might have been cheaper just to take it to the machine shop and have them bore it to a 383.

Guess you meant to say have it bored .030 over? Lol.

Lets make this easier,

.030 x 8 cylinder bores

Ill tell you right now it doesnt come out to 33 cu. in.

383 stroker is mean, my uncle runs it in a 67 camaro ss(sold the 396 to the neighbor), its blown(9psi), and nitrous with co2 sprayers

i got to drive it a couple times before the nitrous, if the slicks catch he says low 10's

FYI Gipp....

so I know this is the LS thread, but being that my LS is currently out of commission I am going to start a new project until I get the funds for a new LS.

I have a Trans am that was wrecked. Pulled the engine and trans and sold it. Still have everything else on the car. My intentions have always been to drop a 383 into it, and nows just as good of a time as any. ...SO.. anyone know where the best place to get this set-up is?

Anyways, just any tips and advice on this project would be appreciated guys!!

:D THOUGH I LOVED my '87 T/A...just like everyone else said... we're all about our FLM's & Caddy's here. You may want to try www.ThirdGen.org . It's dedicated to 82-92 F-Bodies aka Camaro's & Trans Ams/ Firebirds. ...and I think I'm still a member there?!?!? (305Tiger).

As far as quick replies to end this, do a search for "Kandied91z". Making this short....the 383 has LOTS of GREAT options! ;) Summit Racing & JEGS should get you started.

-G

My plans are to just make it a quick street car.

Lol, and yea, I know I could have used the block from the 350 and the trans but Im OCD. If I own something that I cant use right away then I sell it.. cant stand clutter, always been that way.

Thanks guys, I didnt even think about changing out the gears.:Bang

If you want to avoid all the clutter of american car parts lying around...May I suggest a Toyota or a Honda

Then, you can concentrate on more important things like germs and carper fringe

Good luck

Check out your local book stores, too, Gipp. I remember seeing a whole bunch of 'building your Chevy small block' books while at a Border's sale a couple of weeks back. Chevy small blocks have a crazy amount of info for them, out there.

Gipp what year is your car anyway? and as for mark 93, um yea you would have to go to a machine shop to get it bored, and if you told them you were looking for a 383 they should know it's a .30 bore. Mark we can go toe to toe all day but iam so use to just knowing the engine and its workings that sometimes i just say things and expect people to know them. That is my fault. But I rebuild my 383 every year to 2 years, in my car.

Members online

No members online now.
Back