255/45/17's and Alignment

The pictures were taken before I adjusted the pressure down a few pounds, so they actually set a hair flatter.
The 255's on the car actually measure wider than the 255's I have on my Explorer. I realize every manufacturer varies a bit, but the difference was substantially more than 20mm which should have been 3/4" or so.
With pressure adjusted, ride is better still and handling is almost telepathic.
Straight ahead it does want to follow truck grooves, but very little steering wheel angle is needed to steer around a bend, and no mid corner adjustments are needed.

Very impressed with these tires for the price.

Granted I have only put 100 miles on, almost all interstate, but mpg has dropped from 19.8 to 19.7. A function a drag from higher drag due to increased widtj as well as increased friction of the softer compound.

Must be quite a bit of city driving mixed in, cause mine on the stock Michelins gets 24-25 on the interstate. Usually around 17 in town. Looks like I'll be adding these to mine shortly too. Thanks for the feedback!

Must be quite a bit of city driving mixed in, cause mine on the stock Michelins gets 24-25 on the interstate. Usually around 17 in town. Looks like I'll be adding these to mine shortly too. Thanks for the feedback!

Redlight, redlight redlights...up and down Wilma Rudolf Blvd with SO MANY of these Boogereatingmorons that only go 25 in a 45 just hoping to catch the next redlight...Then I'm rolling down I24 at 85-90...so 20 mpg isn't too bad.
My last trip to Atlant I held it at 75 +/- and averaged 25. I saw 27 for awhile.

I have not driven the LS in the rain yet, but man these tires are INCREDIBLE in the dry.
I have just passed the 500 mile break in and had it out on some country roads this weekend. Handling, grip, transient response, and road feel is the best I have ever experianced. Any tire, any car. And the ride is still plusher than factory.
I would definitly recomend to anyone.

I have these (245's in front) and they are pretty darn good in the rain. While I have not pushed it handling-wise, they are resistant to hydroplaning... they channel away deep puddles very well and the car barely pulls at all.

I have the chrome 8 spokes (2003) and was thinking of going with a 255/45/17 tire. I like the wider tire with slightly lower sidewall look. Anyone try this on the 8 spoke rim and not on the 5 spoke?

I have the chrome 8 spokes (2003) and was thinking of going with a 255/45/17 tire. I like the wider tire with slightly lower sidewall look. Anyone try this on the 8 spoke rim and not on the 5 spoke?

They're the same width so it should be fine.

Just saw this thread. I have been running 255 45R/17's for about 3 years now. Just put new tires on today, same size. No issues with alignment, clearance, fit, no gripes from the tire shop. All is good.

I have run the Continental KDWS's before and they are a similar tire. Just make certain you rotate them often so they do not cup. I didn't rotate mine enough and once they start cupping there is no stopping it.

I really like the look of this size tire. I have the 245/45/17 and my only beef is that they look so narrow. Its to bad the tires I have now are at least 70% and I'd hate to waste them they're high end Potenzas.

Members online

No members online now.
Back