2001 Lincoln LS Transmission Replacement question

Lincoln LS

1. DaleGrib

DaleGrib Active LVC Member

I am swapping a Transmission from my 2002 Lincoln LS V8 150K Miles that has a bad motor to a 2001 Lincoln LS V8 121K Miles. My question is should I replace the Torque Converter with a brand new one when I swap the transmission. I know I did not have any codes for a bad one on either of the car but wanted to know if it is a good idea to replace this. It may be a stupid question but I am in the learning process still I will admit!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. DaleGrib

Taking it to a shop on Friday to make sure it is not a bad Transmission solenoid. I used my scanning tools and did not see that as a code but hoping that is the cause of it. Does anyone know what the code would look like if it had a bad solenoid?
    And does anyone know if there is any test's in Forscan I can do to see for sure.

3. grizzlyls

grizzlyls Dedicated LVC Member

IMO due to age and use if your in there you should replace the solenoid. After learning things from my indy tranny guy, stuff just wears. Now, I only did that and valve body rebuild, wasn't anywhere near a full pull like you.

4. DaleGrib

Well if I knew for sure if the solenoid was bad I would replace that and the valve body from the other transmission I have. I just need to make sure it's not the Reverse Banding that broke and I am pretty sure this transmission is famous for that pesky band breaking.

5. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

Well, you could drop the pan and looks for bits of metal. However, I think that a worn servo bore or a broken servo wouldn't show any metal. The OBDII codes for solenoid problems are mostly for electrical issues. There won't be any codes for mechanical problems (more common than electrical problems) for solenoid issues unless it is so bad that the transmission can't get into the correct gear.

6. DaleGrib

Yes I know if it is mechanical it will not usually throw a code, but is there a chance that a solenoid that is going bad would not throw a code?

7. AmsterDutch

AmsterDutch Dedicated LVC Member

• Like Like x 1
    • DaleGrib

I am dropping the car off in the am to have the transmission checked out but here is what I can see with ForScan in the meantime
      forscan1.jpg

• AmsterDutch

Yeah ....that is all Greek to me ...hence you must find out if this problem is electrical or mechanical ...it is of most importance to figure out the difference and connection relating to the transmission problem...it's in your best interest to bring your car to a shop that has the right computer in order to retrieve the correct live data while car is driving and the transmission is functioning or in your case producing dysfunction

• Like Like x 1
      • AmsterDutch

Not true if your car is diagnosed with the proper equipment and computer it will most certainly show you a code if it's mechanically not functioning properly...the 5R55N produced evidence that was plain as day while the Mech was driving my car with the computer hooked up to it ....I went along and saw that my 2001 LS was performing a fail safe/ Limp mode default procedure and skipping over 2 gear over drive after the transmission flush another shop performed ...let me remind you the fluid was black and the transmission was on its way out long before the transmission fluid exchange but my point is it's of great importance to have the proper equipment to diagnose this complex transmission ...over drive in 2nd and 5th gear

• joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

That not the same as throwing a DTC!
        There are several fault that the on-board diagnostics won't catch.

• Like Like x 1
        • DaleGrib

And having to take it to a 2nd shop here in a few mins, cause the place I dropped it off called me back and said it won't go in reverse (Like I already didn't know that) they said it has to be rebuilt and they could not really tell me why lol... so onto the next shop! If they are gonna quote me they should at least be able to say more than it's a possible band broke lol. I know they can't see but so much without dropping the pan so it sounded more like a guessing game to me. For starters they told me it would be close to 5pm to get it looked at. I just had got back home and got a fast phone call. Did not even sound like they checked the fluid either.... So yeah onto the next shop!

Edit: Well will have to go to the shop another day the Coolant Bottle crapped out on me today! Had to pull over fast and have it towed back home. I guess I will be replacing the cooling parts now as well.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
        • AmsterDutch

Unfortunately unless you take it to a shop that knows this Transmission inside and out you're going to find that mechanics aren't going to tell you shit about this transmission because most ppl don't know shit ....this is a very complex transmission ...the more I researched the less I started to know about it ....this transmission was unique and different when Ford produced it

• DaleGrib

Yeah I actually had called one shop after the first place did not give me a honest answer, and they told me they would do all the proper test's and I got there and all they did was drive the car and say it won't go in reverse you need a rebuild. Needless to say I kinda cussed them out and told them they are liars since they did not test anything with any computers or anything. I had called one more shop and they I think would have been honest but the overheating happened so I had her towed home and will sort this stuff first and then get it checked out again. I won't have it rebuilt I will say that much I have a 2002 LS that I can take the Transmission off, same motor so it should work. I would replace the valve body and solenoid pack if I use this other transmission just to help prevent more bad stuff from happening.

• AmsterDutch

logo_corp-100.jpg
          5R55N Troubleshooting, Diagnostic Help!
          Click Here to visit the Transmission Rebuilders Network Home Page

Are you having problems fixing a 5R55N transmission? Are you looking for 5R55N transmission troubleshooting help, 5R55N rebuilding tips, 5R55N technical service bulletins, 5R55N diagnostics or technical information? Do you just have 5R55N questions and need some answers? Do you have diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) and need 5R55N troubleshooting information?

The Transmission Rebuilders Network is the place where the industries best transmission rebuilders work together to help solve the most complex automatic transmission problems. Whether you need 5R55N wiring diagram information, 5R55N transmission rebuilders tips, 5R55N technical information, 5R55N diagnostics, 5R55N troubleshooting help, or just answers to your 5R55N transmission rebuilders question, the Transmission Rebuilders Network is the place to go!

Technical help on the following diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's);

Ford SPECIFIC DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC's)

• Like Like x 1