2001 Lincoln LS Transmission Replacement question

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I am swapping a Transmission from my 2002 Lincoln LS V8 150K Miles that has a bad motor to a 2001 Lincoln LS V8 121K Miles. My question is should I replace the Torque Converter with a brand new one when I swap the transmission. I know I did not have any codes for a bad one on either of the car but wanted to know if it is a good idea to replace this. It may be a stupid question but I am in the learning process still I will admit!

Last edited:
Taking it to a shop on Friday to make sure it is not a bad Transmission solenoid. I used my scanning tools and did not see that as a code but hoping that is the cause of it. Does anyone know what the code would look like if it had a bad solenoid?
And does anyone know if there is any test's in Forscan I can do to see for sure.

IMO due to age and use if your in there you should replace the solenoid. After learning things from my indy tranny guy, stuff just wears. Now, I only did that and valve body rebuild, wasn't anywhere near a full pull like you.

IMO due to age and use if your in there you should replace the solenoid. After learning things from my indy tranny guy, stuff just wears. Now, I only did that and valve body rebuild, wasn't anywhere near a full pull like you.

Well if I knew for sure if the solenoid was bad I would replace that and the valve body from the other transmission I have. I just need to make sure it's not the Reverse Banding that broke and I am pretty sure this transmission is famous for that pesky band breaking.

Well, you could drop the pan and looks for bits of metal. However, I think that a worn servo bore or a broken servo wouldn't show any metal. The OBDII codes for solenoid problems are mostly for electrical issues. There won't be any codes for mechanical problems (more common than electrical problems) for solenoid issues unless it is so bad that the transmission can't get into the correct gear.

Well, you could drop the pan and looks for bits of metal. However, I think that a worn servo bore or a broken servo wouldn't show any metal. The OBDII codes for solenoid problems are mostly for electrical issues. There won't be any codes for mechanical problems (more common than electrical problems) for solenoid issues unless it is so bad that the transmission can't get into the correct gear.

Yes I know if it is mechanical it will not usually throw a code, but is there a chance that a solenoid that is going bad would not throw a code?

Taking it to a shop on Friday to make sure it is not a bad Transmission solenoid. I used my scanning tools and did not see that as a code but hoping that is the cause of it. Does anyone know what the code would look like if it had a bad solenoid?
And does anyone know if there is any test's in Forscan I can do to see for sure.
DTC Codes - P0700-P0899 � Transmission

* P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction
* P0701 Transmission Control System Range/Performance
* P0702 Transmission Control System Electrical
* P0703 Torque Converter/Brake Switch B Circuit Malfunction
* P0704 Clutch Switch Input Circuit Malfunction
* P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit malfunction (PRNDL Input)
* P0706 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
* P0707 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Low Input
* P0708 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit High Input
* P0709 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Intermittent
* P0710 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit Malfunction
* P0711 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
* P0712 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit Low Input
* P0713 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit High Input
* P0714 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit Intermittent
* P0715 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction
* P0716 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
* P0717 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit No Signal
* P0718 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Intermittent
* P0719 Torque Converter/Brake Switch B Circuit Low
* P0720 Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction
* P0721 Output Speed Sensor Range/Performance
* P0722 Output Speed Sensor No Signal
* P0723 Output Speed Sensor Intermittent
* P0724 Torque Converter/Brake Switch B Circuit High
* P0725 Engine Speed input Circuit Malfunction
* P0726 Engine Speed Input Circuit Range/Performance
* P0727 Engine Speed Input Circuit No Signal
* P0728 Engine Speed Input Circuit Intermittent
* P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio
* P0731 Gear I Incorrect ratio
* P0732 Gear 2 Incorrect ratio
* P0733 Gear 3 Incorrect ratio
* P0734 Gear 4 Incorrect ratio
* P0735 Gear 5 Incorrect ratio
* P0736 Reverse incorrect gear ratio
* P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction
* P0741 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off
* P0742 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Stock On
* P0743 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical
* P0744 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Intermittent
* P0745 Pressure Control Solenoid Malfunction
* P0746 Pressure Control Solenoid Performance or Stuck Off
* P0747 Pressure Control Solenoid Stuck On
* P0748 Pressure Control Solenoid Electrical
* P0749 Pressure Control Solenoid Intermittent
* P0750 Shift Solenoid A Malfunction
* P0751 Shift Solenoid A Performance or Stuck Off
* P0752 Shift Solenoid A Stuck On
* P0753 Shift Solenoid A Electrical
* P0754 Shift Solenoid A Intermittent
* P0755 Shift Solenoid B Malfunction
* P0756 Shift Solenoid B Performance or Stock Off
* P0757 Shift Solenoid B Stuck On
* P0758 Shift Solenoid B Electrical
* P0759 Shift Solenoid B Intermittent
* P0760 Shift Solenoid C Malfunction
* P0761 Shift Solenoid C Performance or Stuck Off
* P0762 Shift Solenoid C Stuck On
* P0763 Shift Solenoid C Electrical
* P0764 Shift Solenoid C Intermittent
* P0765 Shift Solenoid D Malfunction
* P0766 Shift Solenoid D Performance or Stuck Off
* P0767 Shift Solenoid D Stuck On
* P0768 Shift Solenoid D Electrical
* P0769 Shift Solenoid D Intermittent
* P0770 Shift Solenoid E Malfunction
* P0771 Shift Solenoid E Performance or Stuck Off
* P0772 Shift Solenoid E Stuck On
* P0773 Shift Solenoid E Electrical
* P0774 Shift Solenoid E Intermittent
* P0780 Shift Malfunction
* P0781 1-2 Shift Malfunction
* P0782 2-3 Shift Malfunction
* P0783 3-4 Shift Malfunction
* P0784 4-5 Shift Malfunction
* P0785 Shift/Timing Solenoid Malfunction
* P0786 Shift/Timing Solenoid Range/Performance
* P0787 Shift/Timing Solenoid Low
* P0788 Shift/Timing Solenoid High
* P0789 Shift/Timing Solenoid Intermittent
* P0790 Normal/Performance Switch Circuit Malfunction
* P0801 Reverse Inhibit Control Circuit Malfunction
* P0803 1-4 Upshift (Skip Shift) Solenoid Control Circuit Malfunction

I am dropping the car off in the am to have the transmission checked out but here is what I can see with ForScan in the meantime
forscan1.jpg

I am dropping the car off in the am to have the transmission checked out but here is what I can see with ForScan in the meantime
View attachment 828569817
Yeah ....that is all Greek to me ...hence you must find out if this problem is electrical or mechanical ...it is of most importance to figure out the difference and connection relating to the transmission problem...it's in your best interest to bring your car to a shop that has the right computer in order to retrieve the correct live data while car is driving and the transmission is functioning or in your case producing dysfunction

Yes I know if it is mechanical it will not usually throw a code, but is there a chance that a solenoid that is going bad would not throw a code?
Not true if your car is diagnosed with the proper equipment and computer it will most certainly show you a code if it's mechanically not functioning properly...the 5R55N produced evidence that was plain as day while the Mech was driving my car with the computer hooked up to it ....I went along and saw that my 2001 LS was performing a fail safe/ Limp mode default procedure and skipping over 2 gear over drive after the transmission flush another shop performed ...let me remind you the fluid was black and the transmission was on its way out long before the transmission fluid exchange but my point is it's of great importance to have the proper equipment to diagnose this complex transmission ...over drive in 2nd and 5th gear

Not true if your car is diagnosed with the proper equipment and computer it will most certainly show you a code if it's mechanically not functioning properly...the 5R55N produced evidence that was plain as day while the Mech was driving my car with the computer hooked up to it ...

That not the same as throwing a DTC!
There are several fault that the on-board diagnostics won't catch.

That not the same as throwing a DTC!
There are several fault that the on-board diagnostics won't catch.
And having to take it to a 2nd shop here in a few mins, cause the place I dropped it off called me back and said it won't go in reverse (Like I already didn't know that) they said it has to be rebuilt and they could not really tell me why lol... so onto the next shop! If they are gonna quote me they should at least be able to say more than it's a possible band broke lol. I know they can't see but so much without dropping the pan so it sounded more like a guessing game to me. For starters they told me it would be close to 5pm to get it looked at. I just had got back home and got a fast phone call. Did not even sound like they checked the fluid either.... So yeah onto the next shop!

Edit: Well will have to go to the shop another day the Coolant Bottle crapped out on me today! Had to pull over fast and have it towed back home. I guess I will be replacing the cooling parts now as well.

Last edited:
And having to take it to a 2nd shop here in a few mins, cause the place I dropped it off called me back and said it won't go in reverse (Like I already didn't know that) they said it has to be rebuilt and they could not really tell me why lol... so onto the next shop! If they are gonna quote me they should at least be able to say more than it's a possible band broke lol. I know they can't see but so much without dropping the pan so it sounded more like a guessing game to me. For starters they told me it would be close to 5pm to get it looked at. I just had got back home and got a fast phone call. Did not even sound like they checked the fluid either.... So yeah onto the next shop!

Edit: Well will have to go to the shop another day the Coolant Bottle crapped out on me today! Had to pull over fast and have it towed back home. I guess I will be replacing the cooling parts now as well.
Unfortunately unless you take it to a shop that knows this Transmission inside and out you're going to find that mechanics aren't going to tell you shit about this transmission because most ppl don't know shit ....this is a very complex transmission ...the more I researched the less I started to know about it ....this transmission was unique and different when Ford produced it

Unfortunately unless you take it to a shop that knows this Transmission inside and out you're going to find that mechanics aren't going to tell you shit about this transmission because most ppl don't know shit ....this is a very complex transmission ...the more I researched the less I started to know about it ....this transmission was unique and different when Ford produced it

Yeah I actually had called one shop after the first place did not give me a honest answer, and they told me they would do all the proper test's and I got there and all they did was drive the car and say it won't go in reverse you need a rebuild. Needless to say I kinda cussed them out and told them they are liars since they did not test anything with any computers or anything. I had called one more shop and they I think would have been honest but the overheating happened so I had her towed home and will sort this stuff first and then get it checked out again. I won't have it rebuilt I will say that much I have a 2002 LS that I can take the Transmission off, same motor so it should work. I would replace the valve body and solenoid pack if I use this other transmission just to help prevent more bad stuff from happening.

View attachment 828569817
logo_corp-100.jpg

5R55N Troubleshooting, Diagnostic Help!
Click Here to visit the Transmission Rebuilders Network Home Page

Are you having problems fixing a 5R55N transmission? Are you looking for 5R55N transmission troubleshooting help, 5R55N rebuilding tips, 5R55N technical service bulletins, 5R55N diagnostics or technical information? Do you just have 5R55N questions and need some answers? Do you have diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) and need 5R55N troubleshooting information?

The Transmission Rebuilders Network is the place where the industries best transmission rebuilders work together to help solve the most complex automatic transmission problems. Whether you need 5R55N wiring diagram information, 5R55N transmission rebuilders tips, 5R55N technical information, 5R55N diagnostics, 5R55N troubleshooting help, or just answers to your 5R55N transmission rebuilders question, the Transmission Rebuilders Network is the place to go!

Technical help on the following diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's);

Ford SPECIFIC DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC's)

The 5R55N's were known for some problems. Issues with the valve body,,, and broken springs. If you find a reputable transmission shop,,, and the trans doesn't need a full rebuild... I would at least have a full flush done... plus a new valve body, new solenoid pack, front pump seal, rear tailshaft seal. Torque converter wouldn't hurt either.

In all actuality... the whole problem could be the torque converter. Laugh if you want,,, call BS if you want. I've seen it happen. Old buddy of mine (decades ago), did a reverse drop in a 72 charger. I was in the car and heard a strange metallic "bang", (up by the engine), when it happened.

He lost reverse at that point,,, and thought the trans was fubar. I told him it sounded like the torque converter, (more than once), but he wouldn't listen. He went to the boneyard and got another trans... and put it in using the old torque converter, because he didn't want to take the time to unbolt it... and because he didn't believe me.

Guess what??? He had all the forward gears,,, but still didn't have reverse. Next time I talked to him it was fixed... after trying a second boneyard trans without luck,,, until he went back and got the torque converter from the same vehicle he got the trans from.

I am thinking of trying something since I can't find honest shops. I am gonna drop the pan myself in the morning. Gonna check to see if any band parts broke off and if the fluid looks good I am gonna order a rebuilt valve body and solenoid, upper and lower valve body gaskets, and valve body cover, and the Filters for the transmission and a new pan gasket and a case a motorcraft mercon v and hope for the best. That car shifts so smooth I really hope I can get lucky and that is all that is wrong. Also since I have transmission cooler lines will I need XC3Z-7B155-BA?

Last edited:
There is no in line filter. Although I think some people use them. Sometimes the lines will leak at the cooler after you put them back both of my LS's had worm gear clamps afterwards.

You are supposed to add the external filter if you replace the transmission, otherwise there isn't to much point to doing it.

There is no in line filter. Although I think some people use them. Sometimes the lines will leak at the cooler after you put them back both of my LS's had worm gear clamps afterwards.

Well on the Ford Parts Giant site it sure showed XC3Z-7B155-BA being a part for my car when I type in my VIN.
You are supposed to add the external filter if you replace the transmission, otherwise there isn't to much point to doing it.
I figured since I could get a OEM Filter for $13 why not just go ahead and change it. I mean rather be safe than sorry since I don't know the full history of the fluid flushes etc on this car.

There is an internal filter/screen in the transmission. You should clean or even better replace it. 3W4Z-7A098-AA is the part number for this. (The filter that you do have.)

The XC3Z-7B155-BA is not on your LS. It is an add on that is only used if the original transmission fails and is replaced. It's purpose is to catch any debris hiding in the transmission cooler from when the old transmission failed. In that case, it is only needed temporarily, but is usually left in place permanently.
You can add the XC3Z-7B155-BA if you really want to, but you will be adding it, not replacing it.

There is an internal filter/screen in the transmission. You should clean or even better change it.
The XC3Z-7B155-BA is not on your LS. It is an add on that is only used if the original transmission fails and is replaced. It's purpose is to catch any debris hiding in the transmission cooler from when the old transmission failed. In that case, it is only needed temporarily, but is usually left in place permanently.
You can add the XC3Z-7B155-BA if you really want to, but you will be adding it, not replacing it.

Ok I will just hang onto that in case I have to replace the transmission. Hoping I can get lucky on the valve body swap but if not I already have a rebuilt transmission lined up for it so in that case I would use it then. Thanks for the info!

I just replaced with new solenoid assembly and flushed in new mercon V + filter. It solved my shift banging that I had from 2-3, 3-4. I had Lincoln do it, but they couldn't get the fluid level right after two tries so I ended up having to do it myself. Looking back I wish I had just done the entire thing myself, but I made the mistake and assumed Lincoln had techs that weren't total clowns. They ripped me off.

For what it is worth, I had these two codes with intermittent Check Transmission on the cluster.

P0798
P0971

Like I said, the shifting between gears has returned smooth, but I still have a harsh engagement into reverse. Probably need valve body work next. But that is for a future tackling as this last debacle aged me about 4 years in a month.

I just replaced with new solenoid assembly and flushed in new mercon V + filter. It solved my shift banging that I had from 2-3, 3-4. I had Lincoln do it, but they couldn't get the fluid level right after two tries so I ended up having to do it myself. Looking back I wish I had just done the entire thing myself, but I made the mistake and assumed Lincoln had techs that weren't total clowns. They ripped me off.

For what it is worth, I had these two codes with intermittent Check Transmission on the cluster.

P0798
P0971

Like I said, the shifting between gears has returned smooth, but I still have a harsh engagement into reverse. Probably need valve body work next. But that is for a future tackling as this last debacle aged me about 4 years in a month.

In ten years of owning my 05 LSV8 I've had four instances of XMSN trouble. First time was done by dealer under warranty (wouldn't go in reverse and upshifting hard). I believe they changed the solenoid pack. about 18 months later shifting hard, changed servos, and solenoid, I paid that 1200 dollars. About 2 years later it started having trouble in and out of 5th under torque (going up hill). Changed solenoids myself and serviced, lasted about 18 months, started same crap again. It will shift fine in manual mode, but on a grade up to speed above 42-45 it will chug or slip. When it does that, or to prevent it completely is to downshift manually to D4 and shift back up to 5th when the RPM's come up. Or just take off in D4 and only shift up to D5 if and when you need to. Last couple years I've been driving it this way (manual 4th to fifth) and don't mind it. I even tried the servos with the O ring seals on them and that didn't fix it. I still like the car. After the wife and four kids all took their turn driving it over the years I more than got my money's worth but I can't seem to get rid of it the few times it hasn't had one of the typical problems this car is famous for. After following this thread I got the itch again to maybe try replacing the XMSN with a rebuilt one and driving it a few more years. It's about the fifth car in the family and I'm retired so it sits mostly. I'd be interested to see what comes out of Dale Grib's efforts.

In ten years of owning my 05 LSV8 I've had four instances of XMSN trouble. First time was done by dealer under warranty (wouldn't go in reverse and upshifting hard). I believe they changed the solenoid pack. about 18 months later shifting hard, changed servos, and solenoid, I paid that 1200 dollars. About 2 years later it started having trouble in and out of 5th under torque (going up hill). Changed solenoids myself and serviced, lasted about 18 months, started same crap again. It will shift fine in manual mode, but on a grade up to speed above 42-45 it will chug or slip. When it does that, or to prevent it completely is to downshift manually to D4 and shift back up to 5th when the RPM's come up. Or just take off in D4 and only shift up to D5 if and when you need to. Last couple years I've been driving it this way (manual 4th to fifth) and don't mind it. I even tried the servos with the O ring seals on them and that didn't fix it. I still like the car. After the wife and four kids all took their turn driving it over the years I more than got my money's worth but I can't seem to get rid of it the few times it hasn't had one of the typical problems this car is famous for. After following this thread I got the itch again to maybe try replacing the XMSN with a rebuilt one and driving it a few more years. It's about the fifth car in the family and I'm retired so it sits mostly. I'd be interested to see what comes out of Dale Grib's efforts.

Will let you know for sure! I just have a hard time believing if a servo band broke that the reverse would be the only issue. (I know I could be wrong about that though) That transmission runs more smooth than my 2002 & 2006 LS did just has no Reverse but like I said before finding a honest transmission shop around where I live is a hard thing to do. All the parts should be here by Friday so if I have time this weekend I will be doing the repair. But I have cooling parts that I have to replace as well so will have to do that first! Otherwise would have a hard time running the car to get that transmission flushed with no degas bottle lol! All my parts are in but just dreading the effort it's gonna take to replace all of that coolant stuff.

Members online

Back