2000 Town Car Smashed By Police

MYTAXI

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
2000 TOWN CAR SMASHED BY POLICE

Cops mistook my 2000 Sig. Series Town Car for another Taxi with a Robbery Suspect on board. With no lights or sirens; :Bang they sandwiched the Town Car to immobilize it immediately. :wrench

I am going to view the wreckage today and take snapshots. If I figure out how to; I will add the pics to this thread.

I just put $2,000 worth of work into it!!! :Bang

They should repay it. A friend of mine was hit by a cop and his M3 was totaled. The police department payed for another M3, and this one was a year newer as well. However, their policies may be different in different areas.

Here are photos

Front End Written Off

Most of my pics r 2 big 2 upload????? :Bang :Bang :give :GotPics:

My new easy access oil cap and dipstick?

Jun18961.JPG

thinedge.jpg

More Photos

MORE PHOTOS

Here's a couple more shots :soapbox:

Front End Off Set.JPG

NIFront End .JPG

Still not fixed

The money this is making me lose is insane!!! :Bang

It seems like it's taking forever. I had a '03 Grand Marquis LS to drive for a week.....It's not the same!!! I felt like I was being punished or something....Cloth Interior, not as much leg room, etc., etc..
:L

I doubt my town Car will ever be the same.... :bash:

I had almost the same crash with my town car. It cost about 6,000 dollars but I had full covrage. hopefully your engine isn't crushed. most likely you have to worry about your radiator. I don't have any problems with my town car after the crash. keep us updated and if you need any help, just ask. here are my crash pics.

new_pa1.jpg

new_pa1.jpg

DSC01139.JPG

Ouch!!!

OUCH!!!

Yeah, the Trans. Cooler and Rad. were both damaged. Reservoir and Cooling Fan were as well. I should be back on the road by July 11th or 12th. :wrench

Guys in shop love me :wrench :waving:

MYTAXI said:
OUCH!!!

Yeah, the Trans. Cooler and Rad. were both damaged. Reservoir and Cooling Fan were as well. I should be back on the road by July 11th or 12th. :wrench

Guys in shop love me :wrench :waving:
so is the police dept. paying for your car? I only had to replace the rad, reservoir and the cooling fan and of course the body parts. What is the cost of fixing your town car.

Insurance??

Dude.

I used to sell personal lines insurance a couple of years ago in Toronto.

Generally speaking, your insurance company should pay to repair the car and then they will go after the police department, or the city, for the costs (a process called subrogation).

If you haven't already, you should be applying pressure on your insurance company to get your car fixed and get you back on the road. The insurance you pay for (and seeing as it is used as a taxi, you must be paying TONS of insurance!) is supposed to put you back in the position you were in before you suffered the loss.

AND seeing as you were literally attacked by the police department and falsely targeted, the incident can not be considered as being your fault at all.

Are you seeking compensation for injuries/traumaetc. from the police? Have you told your story to the media?

You might want to consider it.

Good luck.

they should pay for it and after they pay then sew them
there insurance should pay proply 500,000 a person for injeries id have a bad back if i where you

The earlier post about the insurnace company fixing it and "going after" the guilty party later is correct if you have good insurance. Good luck to you! These cars are like beds on wheels, arguably the best people movers ever created!

I agree!! If you make a mistake you have to pay to the nose!!!

The police made the mistake they owe it to you for what they did wrong.

You are out your car, you are stressed!, it set you back. Besides your car being fixed they owe you for what they did.

Do you have a lawyer?

Also check out your home owners insurance you might have coverage there also.

Thanks for all the interest.

My car is fixed, I just saw it. I am about to go pick it up. I will post new pics. for all to see.

Re. Insurance....Yes the Insurance has paid $8,439.58 for all the repairs. As for "Down Time" loss of income etc. I have to wait and see what settlement is and that will likely take over 9 months. Geez, babies come faster than that.

As for inconvenience, misc. expenses, loss of income etc. I will probably have to sue the City. I can't say for how much until settlement has happened. Therefore: I can't build the case until details become available.
:bsflag:

So, I have a client who is going to pass on a number to me for a Lawyer who works on a contingency basis. He makes 33% of the settlement or nothing if there is no settlement. He also has a record for taking on the City, Province and large corporations in the past. argue2

I like that idea, no money out of my pocket anymore. :N

So, I will post any updates as the info. becomes available; once again, thanks to all for your interest. :gr_hail:

i would throw somthing in there like having a mental problem tell them you where totaly disturbed and having nightmars not sleeping get those cops big time

Repair Pics

:GotPics:

:L
I was not the driver at the time of the collision. I did however get inconvenienced more because there were no day cars available. My night driver drove an Impala (Designed by and for :monkey: ) as a substitute car.

Day cars are much harder to come by. Busy time here in Calgary, "The Greatest Outdoor Show On Earth" (Calgary Stampede) kicked off today. 10 days of drinkin' hootin' & hollerin'!! :invasion:

Whole City dresses Western for 10 days and not much gets done downtown but drinking. Offices become "Gathering Place" for co-workers to decide which bar or party to go to that day. :Beer

Anyhow, here's the pics of Car after repairs.

July 8 05 front end.JPG

Repaired front end.JPG

New stuff in engine compartment.JPG

Highway test Monday

I have a regular client who will be taking a 200+ Km ride Monday. This is when I get to "Highway Test" the car and see how she performs. Last year, just a few weeks after she was painted, I did this run and Bugs chipped the paint on the front bumper!!! :Bang

So, I am hoping that the new paint will withstand the bugs this time without chipping. :L

Once again, thanks to all. :waving:

Settlement Update!

:confused:
Well, I finally got somewhat of a settlement. It came real quickly after The Taxi company and myself refused to co-operate with the Police internal affairs detective.:p

He had the nerve to insinuate that the whole thing happened because of the tinted windows. Only the very rear window is tinted. I told him this and continued to tell him that the tint is light enough that when the vehicle behind it has headlights on(Which the police vehicles did not), you can make out the passenger's hair color. The Police were looking for two Dark haired male suspects. The passengers in the car at the time of the collision were two Blonde haired females.

So, maybe the Police should drive with their headlights ON:confused:

Anyways, the settlement consisted of some funds for down time and the repairs shown above. Unfortunately, the other repairs can not be proven as a result of the collision and that all comes out of my own pocket. Those repairs included:
  1. Front Coil Springs
  2. Ball Joints
  3. Pitman Arm
  4. Tie Rod Ends
  5. Sway Bar
  6. Rear Trailing Arm
I also had a problem with my tires as a result of the front-end problems. Consequently, I had to buy a new set of tires.
:bash: :soapbox:
Man oh man, this sucks. I can't prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is because of the accident and end up parting with over $2,000 while the cops laugh about it.

I have also been having Misfire issues ever since. I have replaced all 8 injectors and 4 coil packs. Additionally, I had to replace the Intake Manifold, but it wasn't covered by the Ford recall.

Oh well, she is still a fine ride with 526,000 Km now on odometer.
:burnout: :burnout:

Any comments?

Any comments? Any replies?:feedback :feedback :feedback

MYTAXI said:
:confused:
Well, I finally got somewhat of a settlement. It came real quickly after The Taxi company and myself refused to co-operate with the Police internal affairs detective.:p

He had the nerve to insinuate that the whole thing happened because of the tinted windows. Only the very rear window is tinted. I told him this and continued to tell him that the tint is light enough that when the vehicle behind it has headlights on(Which the police vehicles did not), you can make out the passenger's hair color. The Police were looking for two Dark haired male suspects. The passengers in the car at the time of the collision were two Blonde haired females.

So, maybe the Police should drive with their headlights ON:confused:

Anyways, the settlement consisted of some funds for down time and the repairs shown above. Unfortunately, the other repairs can not be proven as a result of the collision and that all comes out of my own pocket. Those repairs included:
  1. Front Coil Springs
  2. Ball Joints
  3. Pitman Arm
  4. Tie Rod Ends
  5. Sway Bar
  6. Rear Trailing Arm
I also had a problem with my tires as a result of the front-end problems. Consequently, I had to buy a new set of tires.
:bash: :soapbox:
Man oh man, this sucks. I can't prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is because of the accident and end up parting with over $2,000 while the cops laugh about it.

I have also been having Misfire issues ever since. I have replaced all 8 injectors and 4 coil packs. Additionally, I had to replace the Intake Manifold, but it wasn't covered by the Ford recall.

Oh well, she is still a fine ride with 526,000 Km now on odometer.
:burnout: :burnout:
wow I haven't seen you arond for a long time.WB:) my god 526,000 km on that beauty:eek: so have you replaced all those parts?

526,000 km on that Town Car, looks like you have some ignorant cops up there as we do down here, best of luck to you!!!

Yes, I have replaced all those parts

Front Coil Springs
Ball Joints
Pitman Arm
Tie Rod Ends
Sway Bar
Rear Trailing Arm

All of this is out of my own pocket.
Presently, she burns about a Litre of oil every 800-900 Km. much more than before. She is also running hotter than before as well. The Misfire thing is most noticable at the 60km/hr mark, but is not generating any codes for a service engine lamp. It only happens when I am maintaining speed, not when accelerating or slowing down.:confused:

I don't know what to do about it. Mechanics are stumped!:confused:

If I replace the car, the Company will make me paint new car Yellow!
I DO NOT WANT A YELLOW TOWNCAR!!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back