2000 LS V8 Timing tension bad? VIDEO! Please view.

Your problem is with the timing. It sounds like the tensioner is failing or has already failed and possibly jumped a tooth. When this happens it will give you a misfire in a couple of cylinders and a fuel trim problem, which you have. The reason the problem goes away when you first start the car in the morning is because the oil is so thick from it being cold. The tensior works on oil and the thick oil pumps it up and that takes the slack out of the timing chain. However when the oil thins the tensior doesn't work and there is slack in the chain and the noise you hear is it slaping around. You need to pull the valve cover and check everything out. I would also recommend changing to a thicker weight oil.

Your problem is with the timing. It sounds like the tensioner is failing or has already failed and possibly jumped a tooth. When this happens it will give you a misfire in a couple of cylinders and a fuel trim problem, which you have. The reason the problem goes away when you first start the car in the morning is because the oil is so thick from it being cold. The tensior works on oil and the thick oil pumps it up and that takes the slack out of the timing chain. However when the oil thins the tensior doesn't work and there is slack in the chain and the noise you hear is it slaping around. You need to pull the valve cover and check everything out. I would also recommend changing to a thicker weight oil.

Yes that's what I thought I'm using 10w-40 weight oil though but I'm thinkin the same as u.

Just had my car repaired and it was the secondary timing tension. Here's a few pics and videos for people who may face the same problem.
2010-03-20 15.04.32.jpg
2010-03-20 15.05.34.jpg
2010-03-20 15.05.00.jpg
YouTube- 2000 Lincoln Ls Timing tension update
New Tension
2010-03-20 15.58.47.jpg
2010-03-20 15.58.37.jpg
YouTube- 2000 Lincoln Ls New Tension
2010-03-20 19.00.32.jpg

2010-03-20 15.04.32.jpg

2010-03-20 15.05.34.jpg

2010-03-20 15.05.00.jpg

2010-03-20 15.58.47.jpg

2010-03-20 15.58.37.jpg

2010-03-20 19.00.32.jpg

Glad you got it fixed dude!

Also damnit now I am craving some LJS...

There seems to be a more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to changing secondary timing chain tensioners.

Procedure "A" is to remove the exhaust cam entirely.

Procedure "B" is to only remove the exhaust cam sprocket.

Here is a link to the "official" Jaguar shop manual, which calls for procedure "B"

You did know that the Jag 4.0 is the EXACT same engine as our "3.9", right? ;)

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/crzydrvr00/2009-10-30_173545_2000_XJ_secondary_timing_chain.pdf

Most people that I've read about on here seem to be using procedure "A", but I think "B" looks faster.

Regarding all those fancy tools they show, I don't plan to use any of 'em and I'm 100% certain I'll do it right. Nice to have if you're getting paid by the hour at a dealership - to me, extra work and unnecessary expense.

There seems to be a more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to changing secondary timing chain tensioners.

Procedure "A" is to remove the exhaust cam entirely.

Procedure "B" is to only remove the exhaust cam sprocket.

Here is a link to the "official" Jaguar shop manual, which calls for procedure "B"

You did know that the Jag 4.0 is the EXACT same engine as our "3.9", right? ;)

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/crzydrvr00/2009-10-30_173545_2000_XJ_secondary_timing_chain.pdf

Most people that I've read about on here seem to be using procedure "A", but I think "B" looks faster.

Regarding all those fancy tools they show, I don't plan to use any of 'em and I'm 100% certain I'll do it right. Nice to have if you're getting paid by the hour at a dealership - to me, extra work and unnecessary expense.

I think my mechanic went with procedure b. He just removed the valve cover, removed the sprocket, removed old tension and plastic, put in new tension, put sprocket back and etc.

Joegr, as much as you know about climate control, I'm starting to wonder about you on engines. The Jag S-type is the SAME car as the LS, albeit with different trim and body style. The Jag 4.0 and Lincoln 3.9 are interchangeable engines built on the same assembly line. Ford owned Jaguar during the life of the LS. They were trying to combine platforms between brands in order to save money. You can use a "Jaguar" secondary timing chain tensioner, or you can use a "Lincoln" secondary tensioner - its the same part for the same engine.

I should also mention that there is a new design tensioner made of metal. The chain sliders on the tensioner are still plastic but the guts are all metal, as opposed to the original units that were all plastic. Right now on Ebay you get get an all plastic OEM style tensioner for about $50, whereas if you want the improved metal unit they run about $75...YMMV

I should also mention that there is a new design tensioner made of metal. The chain sliders on the tensioner are still plastic but the guts are all metal, as opposed to the original units that were all plastic. Right now on Ebay you get get an all plastic OEM style tensioner for about $50, whereas if you want the improved metal unit they run about $75...YMMV

Really!? I had a hell of a time tracking down my tension because it was supposed to be back ordered until may 7. I ended up paying about 203 total. The dealer told me it was gonna be there in a few days. I ended up calling and that's when they told me it was back ordered. I originally paid like 175 and then once they tracked down the part in Texas I had to pay more for shipping.

Joegr, as much as you know about climate control, I'm starting to wonder about you on engines. The Jag S-type is the SAME car as the LS, albeit with different trim and body style. The Jag 4.0 and Lincoln 3.9 are interchangeable engines built on the same assembly line. Ford owned Jaguar during the life of the LS. They were trying to combine platforms between brands in order to save money. You can use a "Jaguar" secondary timing chain tensioner, or you can use a "Lincoln" secondary tensioner - its the same part for the same engine.

I respectfully disagree. The LS has variable valve timing on the exhaust valves. The Jag engine has two step timing control on both the intake valves and the exhaust valves. I don't see how you can do that with the same valve train. The bottoms of the engines are very similar. Perhaps you should compare the two side by side...

Members online

No members online now.
Back