2 piece Driveshaft options? (Welding?¿)

SleeperMark

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my driveshaft has been making quite a bit of vibration after I changed my gears. Starts at about 60 and gets worse with speed. I ordered a 93 shaft assuming they were all 1 piece shafts just to read directly after ordering that most are also a 2 piece. It should be here tomorrow but I am assuming the worst. What are my options from here? I just coughed up 100$ for (possibly) another 2 piece pos. has anyone tried welding the 2 together and getting it re balanced? I have seen talk about it but no experience. Thanks in advance.

I'm not experienced enough on here to answer that, so hopefully someone can...

Worst case man, lemme know. I know of an early 93 shaft local to me, could probably be had cheap

If this is a 2 piece ill probably take you up on that. I need to do something fast tho.

Davidm, I really hope so. I'm just scared now that I have heard. There were a few cases where it was a 93 made in 11/92 and it was a 2

If it was an 11/92.... its definitely a 1pc. My mark was made in the first half of 93 and its got a 1pc.

That makes me feel better. Maybe people assume the make date to be the year of the vehicle? If that's the case an 11/93 would be a 94. Mine is a 10/94 and its a 95. Confusing stuff. I guess we'll just see what shows up tomorrow and go from there. Ill keep you posted..

I talk to the performance drive line shop in my area, shouldn't be a problem to weld and balance. They do it all the time. They told me it will hold up to 500hp & 160mph with out vibration.

I went the easy route with a 93 shaft. The original 96 shaft is now residing in my SVO, tho a bit shorter and now one piece.

I got the same vibration, but I'm having a hard time finding a 93 shaft I want to pay for.

Bob, What did it cost to cut/weld/balance?

I did it myself. Marked the shaft prior to cutting and rewelded on the marks. I didn't have it balanced, but with 4.10's, to 70 mph no odd vibrations that I can tell. Not saying it works everytime, just that I seem to have got lucky.

Cut down, ready to weld.

323713_2898619034661_504758092_o.jpg

Rubber crap all cleaned out.

331426_2898616554599_650649638_o.jpg

rubber bits

415387_2898612914508_2035850672_o.jpg

Rewelded

328103_2901167138362_1622253794_o.jpg

I didn't take a pic of the rear yoke chucked up in my lathe. I cut the original weld to release the scrap piece of tube from the yoke.

I talk to the performance drive line shop in my area, shouldn't be a problem to weld and balance. They do it all the time. They told me it will hold up to 500hp & 160mph with out vibration.

In my experience it will not work, its not the void of the 2 piece its the material. We had our Driveline Guy Henry cut and weld/balance a 2 piece and it barely made a difference in vibes. Been there done that does not work.

The money your going to dump fopr this just hit me uip and get a REAL shaft under there with no worries.

Great news! It's a 1 piece!! Thank god. Now I can experiment with the 2 piece....

Hey guys, my driveshaft has been making quite a bit of vibration after I changed my gears. Starts at about 60 and gets worse with speed.

No vibration before the gear swap and now you have it after swapping gears? It may not have been the shaft unless you felt it vibrate before the gear swap. Makes one wonder..

Don't assume all 93's have the 1 piece as I recently checked one out and it had a 2 piece.Wish I knew the build date on it but it had the other 93 only parts on it.It was probably the last of the 93's.What month do they start building cars for the next year model?

No vibration before the gear swap and now you have it after swapping gears? It may not have been the shaft unless you felt it vibrate before the gear swap. Makes one wonder..

Vibration from the drive shaft is relative to the drive shaft rotation speed, NOT the speed of the car.

Just like the speed limiter of my TBird kicked in at 105 mph with the 3.08 gears, now I have 3.27 gears and it kicks in at 92 mph. That means that the drive shaft spins the same speed at 92 mph at it used to at 105. So, the vibrations I was feeling at 80 mph, I will now feel at a little over 60 mph after the gear swap.

Most ppl swap in 3.73 or 4.10 gears for the 3.08 or 3.27 gears stock. Going from 3.08 to 4.10 gears means the vibrations you felt at 60 mph you will now feel at 45 mph.

Saturn5, that weld jobs looks great! Get that shaft balanced and let us know how it worked out; I had that idea a long time again, but never did it.

People have been cutting and welding drive shafts for years. Unless I'm turning 600hp and can't justify a $500 drive shaft

Fwiw I have 4.10s and the stock DS and I don't get any more vibration than I did before the swap

driveshaft

My Dynotech makes the car feel like your sitting in your living room at 90 mph, not that anyone would drive that fast ! Thanx Bruce

I had vibration at 105+ stock. Directly after 3.73 swap it moved down to 75+ and after 2,000 miles it slowly worked its way down to 55mph. Just did the swap and its smooth until 80. Its more like a pulsating noise tho rather than a vibration... Kind of weird, still driveline issues? Maybe something more like a rear trans bearing? Just makes me wonder since the shaft helped significantly.

Members online

No members online now.
Back