1st Gen dash replacement Q's

Stangman

Project car a.d.d.
Reaction score
How difficult is it to take out and swap out the entire dash and airbags?

After the bags deployed on my car the passenger side cracked my perfect black dash... so now I need to find another one and replace it when I get it back in action.

Also, I've never had to replace airbags before either... any Idea how those come out?

Its not hard, just time consuming. Unhooking all the wiring without breaking anything is what takes the most amount of time, i took the dash out of a totaled 94 and i just cut all the wiring connections and it still took me close to an hour. If your not in a huge hurry you could have it done in a weekend just taking your time.

Thats exactly what I was wondering... about an hour... Once I get the car back I'll be going back down to that Pull n Pay to grab the dash out of it and didnt want to spend another 5.5 hours out there.

I also plan to grab the steering column just in case... might be easier than trying to pull the airbag and wheel. Might snag the ECU while I'm in there.

Yeah i did it in the middle of December and it only took me an hour, trust me bring a very good set of wire cutters or even two. Theres 5 or 6 (8mm if i recall) along the windshield and 1 by each door (there like 1/2 or something) at the bottom and one on each side of the trans hump. There might be 2 inside where the radio and ac controls are also.

Read the blend door how to, that will give you some pretty detailed instructions on how to remove the dash. Its not exactly what your looking for, but it never hurts to have more information than you need.

It is not hard, but it is a PITA with unplugging everything. I have detailed instructions for removing the dash, if you want to pm me your email address

Jesse, did it crack the actual dash or just where the airbag comes out? If it's only the spot where the airbag is, save yourself the trouble and just remove the old airbag and put another one in. Has one plug on the back side with 4 bolts holding it in. Pretty simple to take out and replace.

Jesse, did it crack the actual dash or just where the airbag comes out? If it's only the spot where the airbag is, save yourself the trouble and just remove the old airbag and put another one in. Has one plug on the back side with 4 bolts holding it in. Pretty simple to take out and replace.

Yes, It cracked the actual dash pad itself when the "door" to the airbag blew open..

Was it you that had the airbags out of a parts car?

It's soo hard to keep track or who's who on here...

All I know is it was a guy with a Mark Viii with the word Mark Viii in the screen name :lol: j/k

Here it is...

yuck...

reminds me of an old GM truck or something...

dash.jpg

When the bags went off in my 96 it only took out the windshield, not the dash like that. I hope you are changing out the heater core while you are at it.

I got lucky and all my glass is still in tact. I suppose when I have it out I'll look into replacing the heater core...

I do know that when my car would get REALLY cold, like last winter after I bought it, something would click like absolute mad behind the dash and I could never figure it out...

If you were close by, I'd let you come here and take the dash out of the 93. It's mint and black and ready to be pulled. If I ever do pull it, it's gonna have to warm up first. Me and cold don't get along. I bet I had every part you needed. If you ever want to just drive down and get what you want, come after it. Bring a trailer and take it back with you lol. I have the engine in the garage too with 112 or 113K on it.

If you were close by, I'd let you come here and take the dash out of the 93. It's mint and black and ready to be pulled. If I ever do pull it, it's gonna have to warm up first. Me and cold don't get along. I bet I had every part you needed. If you ever want to just drive down and get what you want, come after it. Bring a trailer and take it back with you lol. I have the engine in the garage too with 112 or 113K on it.

Mannn... I'd almost do that if it wasnt a helluva drive... no trailer for me though... All I got is a bed, lol

Bring some tools and I got plenty here. Spend the night if you want. No wives here naggin about anything and yes it was me that has the bags. I have the passenger side in my closet along with some other stuff from the interior. I took the headlights back to my dads room. I told him if he comes down, maybe they'll sell. Until then, keep them in your closet. The car itself is out back covered completely under a blue tarp. Still a few things I would like to get off of it but nothing I really need.

LOL damn, you got a black rear seat and carpet you want to give away??

What part of the rear seat do you need? Bottom part didn't make it through the accident so well but the upper did. Carpet didn't make it to well either after my dad got inside with a grinder and cut through the floor to chop the driveshaft in 1/2 :rolleyes:

Just remember that the upper on 93's don't have the Lincoln emblem stitched in the seats. Maybe it could be stitched back together lol. It really isn't as bad as it looks.

Parting%20Out%20002.jpg

I need both upper and lower, the 94 i pulled the black interior out of was missing the rear seat and the carpet was full of mold and fire ants.......found that out when i was pulling the dash........

Bring some tools and I got plenty here. Spend the night if you want. No wives here naggin about anything and yes it was me that has the bags. I have the passenger side in my closet along with some other stuff from the interior. I took the headlights back to my dads room. I told him if he comes down, maybe they'll sell. Until then, keep them in your closet. The car itself is out back covered completely under a blue tarp. Still a few things I would like to get off of it but nothing I really need.

Might have to make a trip down there come income tax time... if you still have it? I'd def. be interested in parts...

I need both upper and lower, the 94 i pulled the black interior out of was missing the rear seat and the carpet was full of mold and fire ants.......found that out when i was pulling the dash........

Dude! I bet that was a FUN discovery when ya dashed outta the car as fast as ya could!

Jesse, it should still be here because the guy that wanted the rear suspension, I called and told him he couldn't have it right now. He can find another or wait until this summer. So.... it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Members online

No members online now.
Back