1997 Lincoln Mark VIII Won't Start

• Thread starter Deleted member 20330
  • Start date
From playing around with the SCIL when my aftermarket HIDs would disable it, the ground is the black wire on pin 7 of the same connector the white/pink one is to the start circuit. There is a logic ground also but in my experience it is one on connector 287

Since grounding pin 85 on the fuse box would allow the car to crank, could the moisture have caused the problem by causing corrosion on the ground coming off the SCIL ?

Where is the ground located on the frame ?

All bk/Lb come together ~pin14~ bk/lb is used as ground on many switches.... they all run to the vlcm after the vlcm all bk/lb run into a connector that changes it to black which is grounded to the frame and the battery....if you think the ground is bad on the SCIL simply run a jumper wire from the battery to pin 14....bk/lb.

Success !

It was the DTR.

There was heavy white corrosion on it.

After cleaning it up, the engine starts.

Thanks goes to tgs1964, driller, ford nut, bangster and lownslowlsc.

Your help was invaluable in tracking down the problem.

If this car had been towed to the local Ford dealer, they would have charged a ridiculous amount of money just to get to cleaning the DTR.

Thank you for all the detailed answers, videos and documentation.

Digital Transmission Range (sensor) aka mlps aka trs aka nuetral safety switch.

I would have created a new thread instead, but it's easier if everyone sees a background on what I'm talking about.

The car has been sitting for a while and won't start again.

I want to check if the DTR has built up corrosion again, but I can't remember where it's located ?

Can you apply dielectric grease to reduce the corrosion build up ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Back