1996 Mark8 trouble!!

Fast Eddie 96

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a real nice 1996 Mark8 with only 31000 miles on it. I had it checked out, new tires, detailed, etc, and she ran like a beauty! Pulled it in the garage and she sputtered a little and died. Now, it turns over but it won't run a bit! The local garage has it and they think it's the Variable Load Control Module.
Does anyone know where I can buy one? I'm brand new to this forum and will appreciate any and all help.
Thank you in advance,
Ed

1996 Mark VIII.jpg

1996 Mark VIII.jpg

That is a hard to find one year specific part that fails with some regularity :(

You taking about the VCRM, correct?

If so, I have a 96 at the yard near me, was driven in so it had to work. I can pull it and sell it to you if you're interested...

You taking about the VCRM, correct?

If so, I have a 96 at the yard near me, was driven in so it had to work. I can pull it and sell it to you if you're interested...

I bought one on EBay yesterday. If it solves the problem, I would certainly consider another one since they seem to be hard to find! And apparently may be an inherent problem part.
Let me know how much it will cost me and we will keep in touch.
Thanks,
Ed

I bought one on EBay yesterday. If it solves the problem, I would certainly consider another one since they seem to be hard to find! And apparently may be an inherent problem part.
Let me know how much it will cost me and we will keep in touch.
Thanks,
Ed

Will do, and welcome to the forums. I'll find out how much it will cost me and I'll give you a price.

VCRM gone bad in only 31000 miles? Thats some ****ty luck. Beautiful car BTW

Seems like it! That's why I want to buy a spare!
The car is for my son. It seemed like a decent car for the money. And of course, I always loved the looks of them.

Have them recheck the crankshaft positioning sensor plug as it sometimes gets corroded, and won't get the signal for the plugs to fire.

Roadboss, I thought the same thing. It's much more likely the cps connector has a bad connection than the vcrm going bad. But that being said, vcrm's do go bad occasionally. That was kc96lsc's problem a few weeks ago when his wouldn't start. The crankshaft position sensor had a bad connection that is.

O.k. I got the replacement VCRM and dropped it at the shop last night. Very interesting, I looked at the old VCRM and it stunk like an electrical fire, rattled, and it had been opened once before! So........Apparently someone repaired this one along way? I'm supposed to get the car back today, as I'm sure this will solve the problem.
Thank you for all the friendly greetings, help, and advice.
Update:
That did the trick! The car runs like a dream!

You're a good Dad. The boy will learn the finer points of maintenance or the car will not perform up to spec's. Trouble shooting, too. The car looks spotless. Welcome to you both. You will not find a more generous forum.

Anybody have a cheap brake booster don't have a lot of money right now but I need a brake booster help!!!!!!

Hi eveayHi every body it's has been a long time since I've been here.

I bought one on Ebay August 12 got it on August 16, put it in August 17, my car started right up.

before all that this is the problem I had, car won't start thought it was the pump bought a new pump put it in, then I find out it was VLCM, my car sat for a week, I need my car so what I did I unhook the plug from the safety switch in the trunk, then I ran a wire from my tail light to safety switch wire, turn on parking light car started up, I ran my car for a week back and forth to home and work (only fore miles) and to the store and back. I thought this was unsafe but I did it any way, thank goodness nothing happen, the only thing that is going on, my car is now at about 1800 RPM then drop back when I come to full stop.

This is the question, I have an old VLCM, Is there any way I can get it repair, I don't want to trash it.

I bought one on Ebay August 12 got it on August 16, put it in August 17, my car started right up.

before all that this is the problem I had, car won't start thought it was the pump bought a new pump put it in, then I find out it was VLCM, my car sat for a week, I need my car so what I did I unhook the plug from the safety switch in the trunk, then I ran a wire from my tail light to safety switch wire, turn on parking light car started up, I ran my car for a week back and forth to home and work (only fore miles) and to the store and back. I thought this was unsafe but I did it any way, thank goodness nothing happen, the only thing that is going on, my car is now at about 1800 RPM then drop back when I come to full stop.

This is the question, I have an old VLCM, Is there any way I can get it repair, I don't want to trash it.

I found this if it helps. Mine stunk so I pitched it. If I had one, I'd try one of these guys. Good luck!!

http://www.autoecms.com/
http://aesmodules.com/?gclid=CInl6e3mn8ACFQGqaQodWFcARw

I am having the same problem...I have a 93 Gen I. I may need a new VRCM (VLCM) also. Not sure yet.

To the OP welcome to the forum! Sweet purchase for your son...I inherited my Mark from my Dad. It was his "last car"...I won't give it up! I've done some improvements on it and it is has 223 K miles on it!

achesonm8 check the voltage at the safety switch wire in the chunk, you may have to put a load on it to make sure you not getting a ghost voltage, or you can take the fuel punp out and check it. which is something I didn't do now I have an extra fuel pump.

Members online

No members online now.
Back