1993 mark 8 at bonneville

now, what did they do with the car after all this? An where is the Lincoln truck picture? but it cool reading that.

No not too aerodynamic..It was accepted by nascar, but Ford stopped it!:mad:

http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/nascar.htm

Ford had many problems with the mark8

First it was faster than their beloved mustang which didn't help the mark 8 a bit.

It had more HP than their beloved Mustang, but Ford would change that in 96 by sending the SVT guys shopping in the Mark 8's parts bin.
{cant beat em?..steal their motor!} HAHA

Second, they didn't want their nascar entries to have to battle against an aerodynamically superior car.

And they danged sure didn't want to "Lose to a Lincoln" they'd much rather gotten beaten by the chevy guys than the Lincoln folks.. Go figure

Why would it matter that it was faster than a mustang? Different type of car, higher price bracket. Losing to a Lincoln? Well, that is supposed to be Ford's premium brand so why should that matter? I don't get Ford sometimes...

I had heard that when the MarkVIII was accepted by nascar in 97 that FoMoCo put the kabash on it because they knew that production was halting in 98. Further they didn't want the "boy racer" image to be associated with the Mark VIII.

The Mark VIII also held the record for the fasted lap at the Charlotte Motor Speedway for a couple of years. The Lincoln actually ran a NASCAR race there.

Oh, what might have been....

I wonder if the 2 piece driveshaft was the same as ours, if it was specially made for that event? And second why cant lincoln have a racing history? The mercs, bmws,astin martins etc. They had one, so why cant we. People still look at me like Im crazy when I say what I want to do to my Mark VIII, but I just ignore them. Thats the the sleeper curse I guess.

Exactly, Scorpio! I mean, the Mercury marauder was racing, back in the day. What car company in their right mind would be worried about one of their more expensive cars outperforming one of their cheaper ones? Thats how it should be! And what better way to increase brand awareness than a good old fashioned race series!

The day will come when the stang will have to get a shorter pedistal, we have the power but not as much respect. but it is starting to change for the better I think.

The day will come when the stang will have to get a shorter pedistal, we have the power but not as much respect. but it is starting to change for the better I think.

I hope so. But have you seen Lincoln's latest range? (YAWN) Ahh... The MK Zzz...

You should look at the MKR concept car they are thinking about building, 3.5L twin turbo 415hp potential vette killer(with some mods). It looks like a heavily modified RX8 well kind of, but it looks very good check it out on www.streetfire.net. Go to videos do a search for lincoln it should be one of the first videos to pop up.

Yeah i just had a look. Not bad but i think the styling needs some more thought, as does the glass roof. Needs a big V8 to go with those turbos! Oh and it should be called the Mark ix, for heritage sake.

Why would it matter that it was faster than a mustang? Different type of car, higher price bracket. Losing to a Lincoln? Well, that is supposed to be Ford's premium brand so why should that matter? I don't get Ford sometimes...

GM is the same way, i remember reading that they didnt want the CTS-V to be faster than the vette. i agree its stupid, but they dont want anything to knock their precious pony car down a notch, what else will H.S. douche bags tell daddy to buy for them. i laugh at all them when they come into work with there mommy :rolleyes:

I kinda see Gm's point with cts v as it is a cheaper car than the corvette. (i think) So they wouldnt want guys and gals going for the cheaper one. The xlrv, on the other hand is more expensive, so that shouldnt matter. What they should have done is build the cts v to the best of their ability, then turn the heat up a notch on the corvette, to keep the pecking order. I agree though, reverse engineering for marketing purposes sucks.

I think if they built it, I would love to buy one. And the V8 does sound like a good idea, Come on lincoln grab your balls and build this car!

the MKR is being built on the rustangs chasis, which means "heavy as hell". if the GT500 does mid to low 12's. and the z06 is running on the mid 11's, the MKR will most likely be in the mid to low 13's! IF this car ever hits the showrooms that is.

It what wont be all that bad, and then Lincoln can get started on that racer image that it desperately need.

Lincoln could certainly do with an image boost! Maybe something along the lines of the caddy xlrv but with a 7 liter V8 and twin turbos. I would buy one!

Hey maybe they can make it run on E85, that should keep the tree huggers quiet and we get our street rocket. then everybody will happy,well except for cadilac. lol.

The new cts-v is going to be supercharged 6.2 liter with like 600 horsepower...

The new cts-v is going to be supercharged 6.2 liter with like 600 horsepower...

Cool! And if thats the case and my logic is correct then there must be an even more powerful corvette waiting in the wings! GM have got the right idea. We just need Ford to catch up!

Members online

No members online now.
Back