03+ LS in Tampa? Don't race a Stang again

See the one in the garage.... That will be a 750-800 HP street car, working on it now. Going big on that one. Then there's my yellow daily driver...Will do the same setup on the yellow one too. I'm sure the LS engine can handle some good boost.

Eli's stang2.jpg

Not 1200, just pushing 459 at the wheels, don't want to risk the internals. I wonder, if the 2V 4.6 internals are rated at 450 HP, except the crank, what is the LS rated at? Anyone know? Quik?

The 4.6 stock bottom end, including crank will support 450 hp. The LS internals will probably handle about the same amount of power due to them having the same type of rotating assembly construction as the 4.6 SOHC does but the problem lies with the higher CR. It will not allow as much boost to be shoved into these cars before having problems with detonation. Still 6-7 psi on a turbo and 4-5 psi on a roots blower with good tuning for the LS will be about max before running into problems.

Theses guys put 13psi on a turbo and that's when it came apart. It made 3 runs at 13 psi. They were fine tuning, but it gave up. Realistically, the 3.9 is capable of such handling. Is the block aluminum or cast iron? on the LS...

I get your point. I was upset because this kid is putting the LS to a stress that he shouldn't by racing a Mustang, or any other car for that matter.

You better watch what you say man, there are plenty of Mustangs (Cobra's included but not the Termies), C5 Corvette's, WS6 Trans Ams and GTO's that I have killed on the track and elsewhere with my LS. No my LS is nowhere near stock BTW, and it is only getting further from stock by the minute. You may want to realize that there are LS's out there that are getting some pretty serious work done to them. Will there be an 11 second LS anytime soon? Nope, though it is easily doable with the correct approach. Will there be a 12 second one??? Oh yes, should have been already if traction were not my enemy. A mid 12 second full weight luxobarge is not too shabby.

Like Quik said, if we wanted a Mustang we could have had one. Hell I am a huge Mustanger being that I work on allot of my buddies cars and also own the other vehicle that I do but I still have the LS. The reason why is because to sell this and get into a Mustang I would have to sacrifice too many things that I do not feel like parting with.

Just give respect where it is due. Or at least try not to disrespect people. That does make you look childish. I hope you learned your lesson.

The shop I went to originally for my gears, built an 01 LS with a 61mm single turbo setup and at 13 psi the bottom gave up. I was there when it was on the dyno and just before the carnage, it was sending 408HP to the tires and maxed out at 389 TQ, then it blew it's guts to the floor. I will find out more on it as they re-did the setup and were fabricating some internals. They already had 42lbs injectors on it and an aviator pump. The biggest bugs were on the a/f ratio as they had done some head work on the intake side and neglected the exhaust side so the back-pressure was holding some compression back. I can tell you that it was pretty impressive to hear that LS revving through the rpms out the sound of Bassani catback. Oddly enough, they had never heard of LVC until I walked in there that day.

At 13 psi a turbo LS would have been making one hell of allot more power than just 408rwhp!!! With 13 psi I would expect one to be in the 500rwhp range easily. And yes it would spill its guts over the place REAL quick. An LS running 7-8 psi of boost with an FMIC would be able to hit 408rwhp with a good tune. I suspect that those guys didn't know jack about tuning and on top of it were squeezing way too much boost into that higher CR motor, no wonder it went boom.

that's another thing... What would you be giving up by selling your car? I was so happy when I got rid of mine... Too many problems and I was maxed out on performance already.

I'm glad that you have a fast LS, and I believe when you say you have beaten some of the cars you mention. What mods do you have, are you spraying?

At 13 psi a turbo LS would have been making one hell of allot more power than just 408rwhp!!! With 13 psi I would expect one to be in the 500rwhp range easily. And yes it would spill its guts over the place REAL quick. An LS running 7-8 psi of boost with an FMIC would be able to hit 408rwhp with a good tune. I suspect that those guys didn't know jack about tuning and on top of it were squeezing way too much boost into that higher CR motor, no wonder it went boom. Hehe.

it's not that, the engine had gone 2 other runs before and the 2nd one they got 459 uncorrected. The third time it didn't even get to 5000 rpm, it gave up. It was going to hit 480-490 easy, but it quit... However, I'm NOT defending them, they wanted to build my motor at 11.1.5 for more N/A power and they said that I would still be able to run a procharger! No way with that compression, so I stopped going there, they don't know what they're doing, really. Now I'm doing all the work my self and I rent the dyno from a local shop.

I'm still curious as to what you wanted to accomplish with this post...

Indeed. This is the second time you've posted about how your Mustang beat an LS. Like Quik said, of course a Mustang can beat an LS. It's really not that hard. So why post about it?

Like others, I would like to know more details of the mods you've made on the Mustang. Now that's a subject worth talking about!

it's not that, the engine had gone 2 other runs before and the 2nd one they got 459 uncorrected. The third time it didn't even get to 5000 rpm, it gave up. It was going to hit 480-490 easy, but it quit... However, I'm NOT defending them, they wanted to build my motor at 11.1.5 for more N/A power and they said that I would still be able to run a procharger! No way with that compression, so I stopped going there, they don't know what they're doing, really. Now I'm doing all the work my self and I rent the dyno from a local shop.

Running higher CR and then boost on a BUILT engine is not a bad idea. That is assuming that it is not a REALLY high CR. If you start out with a higher CR and then add boost to it then you will need to run less boost to hit the same amount of power you would be looking for. Yes, there will be some considerations to make when tuning a combo like this but it is easily doable. The reason why running a slightly higher CR on a built engine especially with a centri blower is that the centri doesn't make full boost until late in the rev range so for a while there you are more or less running more off of the steam of the engine and only partial boost from the blower. The higher CR will allow the car to launch like a beast and still keep decent peak power as well. Now if you are running a Roots or Twin Screw blower like the Eatons, Kenne Bell's and Whipples, then you can lower your CR to around 8.5:1 and let the instant boost off the line take care of you. That is what I did with my project vehicle. Built VT 8.5:1 CR billet 4.6 shortblock + 20 psi Kenne Bell boost = Fun. ;)

Mustangs are the wet dreams of the average teenager who wants a "badass muscle car". After daddy buys the car for him, he ends up wrapping it around a tree because he thinks that his stang can beat anything with four wheels.

You know what I like about Mustang owners like you? They all think there cars are the :q:q:q:q. I play GT owners all the time at the track. Tell them they have a nice car and how fast it is. Then I ask them if they wanna race for 20 bucks. Most of them ask, what kinda of car do you have? I tell them a its just a mark VIII. So they hop on it thinking this is going to be an easy kill. Then I murder them and take there 20 dollars. Happens all the time. Most of them don't even care what kinda of car I have. Because they think there car is unbeatable cause its a mustang.

Also let me ask you another question. On your way to work how many yellow mustang GT's do you see? 5, 10, 15? You know how many marks I see maybe 2 or 3 a week.

sounds like fun. I want to keep my CR at around 9.5.1 but no higher than 10.1, so I'm going with flat top Diamonds, dished for the valve clearance. A lot of tuners have their own opinion when building the motor. Some say you need the same compression for boost and N20, some say low for boos, high for N20. I want to stay flexible and sacrifice some N/A power but I'm thinking that if I get some good numbers N/A, then I'll just spray a dual stage 200-250 shot.

Again, still unsure if I want the low end from a KB or the top end from a Centri. That's why I'm leaning towards a N20 motor. Turbo is just too much fab work and money.

You know what I like about Mustang owners like you? They all think there cars are the :q:q:q:q. I play GT owners all the time at the track. Tell them they have a nice car and how fast it is. Then I ask them if they wanna race for 20 bucks. Most of them ask, what kinda of car do you have? I tell them a its just a mark VIII. So they hop on it thinking this is going to be an easy kill. Then I murder them and take there 20 dollars. Happens all the time. Most of them don't even care what kinda of car I have. Because they think there car is unbeatable cause its a mustang.

Also let me ask you another question. On your way to work how many yellow mustang GT's do you see? 5, 10, 15? You know how many marks I see maybe 2 or 3 a week.

Actually, taking into account that the Mark VIII has been out of production for 8-10 years now, 2-3 a week is a damn good number. Keep it in shape for when you meet me at the track. I'll take the $20 from your hands when my Screaming Yellow Stang :slap: your MKVIII.:D

Mustangs are the wet dreams of the average teenager who wants a "badass muscle car". After daddy buys the car for him, he ends up wrapping it around a tree because he thinks that his stang can beat anything with four wheels.

I totally agree. Too much power in the hands of the irresponsible. That's why I waited to buy one. But I outgrew the LS and here I am. On the stang forums, there are some 17-19 year old posting kill stories of Srt-4, evo's, Camaros and what not, that really creep me up.

sounds like fun. I want to keep my CR at around 9.5.1 but no higher than 10.1, so I'm going with flat top Diamonds, dished for the valve clearance. A lot of tuners have their own opinion when building the motor. Some say you need the same compression for boost and N20, some say low for boos, high for N20. I want to stay flexible and sacrifice some N/A power but I'm thinking that if I get some good numbers N/A, then I'll just spray a dual stage 200-250 shot.

Again, still unsure if I want the low end from a KB or the top end from a Centri. That's why I'm leaning towards a N20 motor. Turbo is just too much fab work and money.

Go with 10:1 CR on your engine if planning to go the nitrous route if you feel that you will end up with a centri. Go with 9.75:1 if you are going to do nitrous first and just do not know which type of blower you may go with later on. Go with 9.5:1 if you plan to do the Kenne Bell eventually. If you only want to spray N2O and not run any kind of boost in the future then build your bottom end to 10.25:1 or 10.5:1 CR. Nitrous does like higher CR while boost does prefer lower CR's usually due to detonation occuring from the higher ACT's from the compressed air.

For your nitrous controller you might want to look into one of the FJO Mini-Progressive units. They are cheap ($206) and just plain awesome for what you get. You can control both your stages of nitrous separately and have their own progressive ramps too. You can also just configure it so that it will act as a window switch on each stage if you do not want the progressive nitrous ramp. I have ran one for over a year now and I could not ask for much more from a nitrous controller.

I see at LEAST 5 mark VIII's a day, not counting the 2 my neighbor has, I actually saw 2 mark VII's on the side of the road I work on during lunch break today.

Don't get your panties all up in a bunch fastnsmoothLS, you're on internet forums.

Here's your medal!

internetchampion.jpg

This morning on my way to work, some 03+ LS came awfully close to my rear bumper at 75-80 MPH only to get his ass waxed by my Stang. Not only was that stupid, but he actually went all the way to top speed at over 130+ at
6 AM. Please, you don't drive a race car, so stop it!
Eventually, I couldn't resist and had to beat him at over 160, so I guess I'm an idiot for that. Anyway, stay in your class with Impalas and Camry's...

LS is in the same class as Audi A6, E class Benz, 5 series BMW...
Anyways, how do u know u were going 160 because mustangs speedo's only go to 150, cobras go to 180... v6 mustang 130.... STOP "KILLING" WANNABE RACE CARS WITH YOUR RACE MUSTANG.

Go with 10:1 CR on your engine if planning to go the nitrous route if you feel that you will end up with a centri. Go with 9.75:1 if you are going to do nitrous first and just do not know which type of blower you may go with later on. Go with 9.5:1 if you plan to do the Kenne Bell eventually. If you only want to spray N2O and not run any kind of boost in the future then build your bottom end to 10.25:1 or 10.5:1 CR. Nitrous does like higher CR while boost does prefer lower CR's usually due to detonation occuring from the higher ACT's from the compressed air.

For your nitrous controller you might want to look into one of the FJO Mini-Progressive units. They are cheap ($206) and just plain awesome for what you get. You can control both your stages of nitrous separately and have their own progressive ramps too. You can also just configure it so that it will act as a window switch on each stage if you do not want the progressive nitrous ramp. I have ran one for over a year now and I could not ask for much more from a nitrous controller.

I'm glad to find someone who knows the game. You know exactly what I'm trying to do. I like the "insta-boost" of nitrous, but it can get expensive at $2.50 a pound here in FL, is just too addictive. I like the top end push of the centri, ProCharger, Vortech, Paxton, etc... But I love the whine and the "off the line" power of the KB or the whipple, so, It's a bit hard for me to choose. knowing myself, I'll probably go through at least two of the phases before I decided which one is right for me, wasting money in the process. If I can get 375-400 our of the stroker N/A, I'll just spray the hell out of it. If not, I'll stay with my setup and just build the internals and boos it up to 13-15 pounds with an F1 and see what happens...

LS is in the same class as Audi A6, E class Benz, 5 series BMW...
Anyways, how do u know u were going 160 because mustangs speedo's only go to 150, cobras go to 180... v6 mustang 130.... STOP "KILLING" WANNABE RACE CARS WITH YOUR RACE MUSTANG.

Uhmmm... when you mod a car, you add certain types of gauges for that purpose. I have a 200mph gauge, shift light and what not, and my limiter has been set at 200mph.

I see at LEAST 5 mark VIII's a day, not counting the 2 my neighbor has, I actually saw 2 mark VII's on the side of the road I work on during lunch break today.

Don't get your panties all up in a bunch fastnsmoothLS, you're on internet forums.

Here's your medal!

internetchampion.jpg

I know, I know. I don't hate you. Now that you care...

Yes sir. The yellow car. BTW, in the picture you'll notice the ride height on the car, is way too high, but I'm waiting to do suspension all together. I'm going to do BMR all under the car.

Yes sir. The yellow car. BTW, in the picture you'll notice the ride height on the car, is way too high, but I'm waiting to do suspension all together. I'm going to do BMR all under the car.

I am calling BS on that yellow car having as much power as you say and being able to hang with "The Big Boys". I would like to see you Full mod list, engine pic, and Dyno sheet pic to proove or i am calling BS on the whole thread :shifty:

00+ BMX Bicycle... Don't race an LS ever!!!

Since this guy is talking about how his yellow Stang beat an LS, I figured I'd warn this kid in my neighborhood to watch out...

To the 8 year old here in Austin who tried to race me in his BMX bicycle.......

DON'T DO IT. MY CAR HAS MODS!!! IT CAN GO FASTER THAN YOU CAN PEDAL... :p

Members online

No members online now.
Back