Year Model Number Built
1993 32,370
1994 28,164
1995 20,782
1996 13.625
1997 16,805
1998 14,357
Total 126,103

I'd like to find out how many of my specific color they made that year.

If you had a 95 I'd say you would be able to find out based on the information on either markviii.org or LOD (where ever it came from first)

I wonder how they obtained these #s, it would be nice to get actual numbers for every year..I'm sure someone out there has the production figures for all mark viii's..it's just finding them is the only challenge.

Notice the BEST year they made the most!!! :D

I have a 93... I think its just because they didn't sell as many as they thought they would & that's why the # was reduced the following year. I think the car was destined for failure since 1994 when only months after production, the car began having air ride failures & to top it off, it was the beginning of the SUV war era between the Cherokee's & the Ford Explorers. People were drawn to those type of vehicles. The car was revamped in 97 with the new look but

I have a 93... I think its just because they didn't sell as many as they thought they would & that's why the # was reduced the following year. I think the car was destined for failure since 1994 when only months after production, the car began having air ride failures & to top it off, it was the beginning of the SUV war era between the Cherokee's & the Ford Explorers. People were drawn to those type of vehicles. The car was revamped in 97 with the new look but

Cars come and go, with a 6 year run I would not say it was a failure. Not every car can have a run like the Mustang!

A shame the production #'s don't prop up the value. :)

I disagree. A personal luxury sports coupe that was built for a specific market segment is not expected to sell 100,000 cars. I'm actually surprised that it sold 32,370 units in its first year, because the Lexus SC300/400 only sold 20,677 in 1992 and the Cadillac Eldorado sold 28,583 that same year. And neither of those cars sold that many again.

The Mark VIII was built more as a halo car for the entire Ford line, showcasing their latest achievements in electronics, suspensions, and multi-valve engine technology. Like any other halo car, its main goal was to bring attention to the Ford brand and get people into the dealerships. For the people who can`t afford the expensive Mark, theres a nice Cougar sitting right over there that the customer will probably drive away in.

There are tons of examples of cars being built with almost no profit to be earned from them. The Ford Taurus sold 303,833 units in 1991 and only 9,136 of those were the high performance SHO model. Cadillac sold 55,042 CTS models total in 2011; I`m sure the Coupe model sold a lot less. Nevermind the CTS-V.

I`m not sure the Mark VIII can be called rare either. I still see about 2 a week but haven`t seen another SHO in over a year

I see sho's up here all the time more often than
marks at least there were 3 for sale last month on cl.
Correction there are 8 for sale right now in the twin cities 90-95
From $500 to $6000
and one sable with a sho motor and 5 speed

I've only seen 2 SHOs in the past 3 months or so..one was a red one for sale and the other was a white one in the junk yard..I'd say they're pretty rare compared to the mark viii..at least around here.

Cars come and go, with a 6 year run I would not say it was a failure. Not every car can have a run like the Mustang!

Really, it's many more years than that...

I consider all of the Marks to be one car line. They just added a number to the name every time they made a major change. Kinda like the mustang II. If they had kept going with that, they'd be at the Mustang VI or something...

Know what I mean? The Mark's actually had a run similar in length to the T-birds...

Well

I disagree. A personal luxury sports coupe that was built for a specific market segment is not expected to sell 100,000 cars. I'm actually surprised that it sold 32,370 units in its first year, because the Lexus SC300/400 only sold 20,677 in 1992 and the Cadillac Eldorado sold 28,583 that same year. And neither of those cars sold that many again.

The Mark VIII was built more as a halo car for the entire Ford line, showcasing their latest achievements in electronics, suspensions, and multi-valve engine technology. Like any other halo car, its main goal was to bring attention to the Ford brand and get people into the dealerships. For the people who can`t afford the expensive Mark, theres a nice Cougar sitting right over there that the customer will probably drive away in.

There are tons of examples of cars being built with almost no profit to be earned from them. The Ford Taurus sold 303,833 units in 1991 and only 9,136 of those were the high performance SHO model. Cadillac sold 55,042 CTS models total in 2011; I`m sure the Coupe model sold a lot less. Nevermind the CTS-V.

I`m not sure the Mark VIII can be called rare either. I still see about 2 a week but haven`t seen another SHO in over a year

Well said JJ- thanks man

Really, it's many more years than that...

I consider all of the Marks to be one car line. They just added a number to the name every time they made a major change. Kinda like the mustang II. If they had kept going with that, they'd be at the Mustang VI or something...

Know what I mean? The Mark's actually had a run similar in length to the T-birds...

Oh yeah forgot about that. But really I was talking about our 93-98 marks because thats what was called a failure.

It had nothing to do with the Mark VIII being a failure, it had to do with lagging T-Bird sales and its demise.

i havent seen a sho in a year at least

I can't even remember the last time I saw a Gen1 or Gen2 SHO around here. But I did see one of those jellybean looking SHO's with the 3.4L V-8 on the way to work this morning. And it was actually on the road and moving under its own power.

It had nothing to do with the Mark VIII being a failure, it had to do with lagging T-Bird sales and its demise.

And the lagging sales and iminmet demise of the T-Bird was due wholly to Ford's laziness and stupidity. Ford allowed the T-Bird and Cougar to stagnate in the same basic body and chassis for 9 model years without a major redesign/update/upgrade or facelift. The T-Bird (particularly the Super Coupe) was Ford division's halo car at the time (at least in '89 when it was introduced). Ford could have done so much with that car. But they were too focused on the F-150 and Mustang (just like they are now) to give a crap about the MN12 triplets. When sales started to sag, instead of asking "what can we do to improve these cars so they will sell more?" Ford simply dropped them like a dirty shirt. So due to Ford's blatant disregard for these fine RWD automobiles, all three died. Same thing happened with the LS. Ford's laziness led to the car's stagnation in the same body/chassis for 7 model years with no facelifts or updates while Cadillac was continually improving the CTS and keeping it current. Guess which one is still around? I'm a Ford man, but sometimes I have to say Ford SUCKS!!!

I can't even remember the last time I saw a Gen1 or Gen2 SHO around here. But I did see one of those jellybean looking SHO's with the 3.4L V-8 on the way to work this morning. And it was actually on the road and moving under its own power.

i see a gen 2 all the time! my bro drives it.

ROFL at the v8 SHOs. helped work on one a month or so ago.

Members online

No members online now.
Back