Heat/cooled seat not turning on

T-Money

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok I did some research about this. But every thread I found that discussed this the people ended it saying (I'm going to try this and see if it works) or (I'm taking it in to see what the dealer says)
And they never followed up and let us know the problem.

Here's my issue. My drivers heated cooled seat isn't turning on. I hit the button and the 3 lights turn on for about 2 seconds then go off right away. And then when I hit it again it won't even stay on at all it just flashes once when I touch the button. The passenger side works fine...

Has anyone had this / what was the answer to fix?? Thanks guys.

Mine does the same thing.

My passenger side and rear seats work fine.

Yea, it makes me mad. Everyone in the car has a heated seat except me and the middle person in the back. It also happened on my previous one by I do not remember what're dealer had to do to fix.

Well it can be replaced by swapping seats.

If you look under the seat the assembly is fully contained inside of it and it even has a small round filter.

I'm thinking about sticking my seat from the wrecked one in there but then I still want to fix the other seat so if someone wars to buy it, it is illy functioning correctly.

If you have heated & cooled seats(2nd gen), it is a crushed duct tube. If you have a 1st gen with just heated seats, it is a break in the heating element. There is a TSB on the problem, basically you cut about 1/4 in. of the top of the duct, reinstall, tape cut top back in place for the 2nd gen, 1st gen, replace or solder the element.

Ok I did some research about this. But every thread I found that discussed this the people ended it saying (I'm going to try this and see if it works) or (I'm taking it in to see what the dealer says)
And they never followed up and let us know the problem.

Here's my issue. My drivers heated cooled seat isn't turning on. I hit the button and the 3 lights turn on for about 2 seconds then go off right away. And then when I hit it again it won't even stay on at all it just flashes once when I touch the button. The passenger side works fine...

Has anyone had this / what was the answer to fix?? Thanks guys.

Here's some testing for you.

First remove the seat air filter and leave it off while doing this testing.

Turn the car off, if it is on.
Start the car from the passenger seat with no one in the driver's seat.
Turn the driver's seat on to a low setting. If it stays on for several seconds, then you can try mid level and then high level.

If it keeps running with no one in the seat, then it's either crushed ducts or clogged filter. Now sit in the seat. If it goes off after a few seconds, you have crushed ducts. If it stays on, your filter is clogged.

If the seat still turned off just as soon with no one in the seat as before, then you are lucky and it is probably just a detached duct to the seat back. Take the seat back access hatch off and reconnect the duct.

If you're not lucky and it is crushed ducts, I have the TSB that explains how to fix it. (It's too big to post, but I can e-mail it to you.) I don't think that it's a lot of expense parts wise, but there is a fair amount work to it.

Note that once the seat fails, it won't restart until you turn the car off and back on.

I had the exact problem and it is either an issue with the fan motor or the ducts in the chair getting crushed or coming apart. Providing you can hear the motor start up on the seat fan mechanism, then it is the latter.

When they took my seat apart they said the tubing was partially crushed. People have had success taking their seat back apart and putting the duct back together. From what I understand the reason it shuts off is there is a fail-safe when the motor can't circulate the air properly. I had my seat as low as it would go in the car so I raised it a couple inches. The tubing has not come apart since.

I had disconnected ducts in the back of my drivers.

Pulled off the back and re ziptied it back together and all is well.

Minus the fact both my back covers are trasht.

Here's some testing for you.

First remove the seat air filter and leave it off while doing this testing.

Turn the car off, if it is on.
Start the car from the passenger seat with no one in the driver's seat.
Turn the driver's seat on to a low setting. If it stays on for several seconds, then you can try mid level and then high level.

If it keeps running with no one in the seat, then it's either crushed ducts or clogged filter. Now sit in the seat. If it goes off after a few seconds, you have crushed ducts. If it stays on, your filter is clogged.

If the seat still turned off just as soon with no one in the seat as before, then you are lucky and it is probably just a detached duct to the seat back. Take the seat back access hatch off and reconnect the duct.

If you're not lucky and it is crushed ducts, I have the TSB that explains how to fix it. (It's too big to post, but I can e-mail it to you.) I don't think that it's a lot of expense parts wise, but there is a fair amount work to it.

Note that once the seat fails, it won't restart until you turn the car off and back on.

Maybe I'm lucky? It still turned off ASAP when no one was in the seat. I'll be playing with it Sunday so hopefully what you said will fix it. Thanks

I'm assuming rear heated seats were an option? I don't believe I have them.

My driver's cooled seat doesn't seem to work. The fans kick on, but it doesn't get cool. What could cause that? Heated works fine. The passenger seat heated & cooled works no problem.

I'm assuming rear heated seats were an option? I don't believe I have them.

My driver's cooled seat doesn't seem to work. The fans kick on, but it doesn't get cool. What could cause that? Heated works fine. The passenger seat heated & cooled works no problem.

Yes, heated rear seats were an option.

Maybe you aren't good a sensing cool air? The seats are a heat pump. If it works in one direction (heating), then it works in the other direction (cooling) unless there is an H-bridge fault (very rare).

When's the last time you changed your seat filters? A dirty filter would make the cooling and heating less effective. A clogged filer will shut it down.

Maybe I'm lucky? It still turned off ASAP when no one was in the seat. I'll be playing with it Sunday so hopefully what you said will fix it. Thanks

Maybe, but there are still other possibilities, like a failed fan motor or electronics issue. If you have access to a Ford specific OBDII scanner, you will have stored codes that give an indication of what the problem most likely is.

Still, if you don't have a scanner and you can hear the fan come on and then shutdown, pull the back cover and see if you have lucked out.

Yes, heated rear seats were an option.

Maybe you aren't good a sensing cool air? The seats are a heat pump. If it works in one direction (heating), then it works in the other direction (cooling) unless there is an H-bridge fault (very rare).

When's the last time you changed your seat filters? A dirty filter would make the cooling and heating less effective. A clogged filer will shut it down.

I'm fairly sure that I would notice it. I can notice it in the passenger seat. Maybe it's the filter though. I don't think the heated part gets super hot either. Perhaps it's just not cooling quite enough for me to notice. I'll check the filters tomorrow.

I'm fairly sure that I would notice it. I can notice it in the passenger seat. Maybe it's the filter though. I don't think the heated part gets super hot either. Perhaps it's just not cooling quite enough for me to notice. I'll check the filters tomorrow.

To me, on full and sometimes on auto, they heat more than I can stand.

Thanks for asking T-Money, I've had the same problem a couple times but it is not consistent enough for me to rip my seat apart. I honestly think it's a clogged filter seeing it's been 8 or so years now and i can almost guarantee the previous two owners didn't know about the filter as I did.

Thanks Joe for the never ending and continuous support on the forum.

I had this problem when a heavy-weight passenger sat in the car. The seat wouldn't cool nor heat.

I had this problem when a heavy-weight passenger sat in the car. The seat wouldn't cool nor heat.

That's funny but not the case in my situation. I'm 5'8" 155lbs more on the slim side bahahaha. A "heavy-weight passenger. Why would you let such a person sit on that leather causing creases and the heat/cool to fail haha

I have no choice...im 6'1" 270lbs so guess my seat will never work.

I have no choice...im 6'1" 270lbs so guess my seat will never work.

1+

I'm sure it's not your size. Most older individuals weigh more and Lincoln's were Kinda an older person car so if they really designed it to break if a heavier person sat in it then thats just poor design on there part.

Well, as luck would have it, my passenger seat in my 06 just quit (with no one in it). I guess I'll add it to my list for this weekend.

Checked the filter on my driver's seat and it seems fine. I blew it off and tapped it against the ground a bit and didn't see any dust. I ran the seat cooled without the filter on and it seemed just the same. I think I can feel just a bit of airflow out of the perforated leather but it's not much. I wouldn't consider it to be "cool".

Members online

No members online now.
Back