Thinking about black chrome wheels

trickett90

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing this to my extra set of wheels. They are the 8 spoke chrome wheels from the ultimate edition.

Here is an example

http://tinyurl.com/744s3dl

These wheels are just sitting in my garage so I feel like doing something to them. I always do things to stuff that is in my garage. I hope this isn't a bad idea because I'm probably going to do it. Just color matched chrome grille and rear surround so kind of on a painting kick.

Dupli-Color® Shadow™ Chrome Black-Out Coating - YouTube

Do they have other colors available? I think black looks good.

I have no experience with the product but I have heard others complain that it is easy to scratch and that you must be very careful about using typical wheel cleaners which can also damage the surface. I would be concerned that it looks great when new but that it would start looking bad before too long.

Don't! The guy I got my wheels from did this to them...long story short they look like crap now.

if it is something that scratches easy... it might be worth buying a few extra cans of clear coat to seal it in better.... maybe try it on test chrome of some sort to see how it holds up?

I've been contemplating doing my 8 spokes black chrome too..when done correctly they look amazing.... but as for the Duplicolor kit ,read several bad reviews when I was researching a few months back, then again, what do you expect for 20 bucks

will probable have them professionally done

I just used this product today and it's not what it's cracked up to be. I bought some factory alloy 17 5 spokes from gen 1"s. I sanded and used thy fake spray chrome then I wanted to make it dark with this product. It does not go on evenly no matter how hard you try, my wheels definitely look shadowy now, but the faces seem to be darker then the inner areas even though I tried to spray evenly. Overall I don't care and it'll work for this winter. But I for these wheels for 175 with tires that had excellent tread. So at that price I really did not care about what I did to them. But If I had the factory chrome oes I don't think I would have messed with em.

I'll post a thread by the end of the weekend once there on the car.

Also one box is not enough for all 4 wheels. And if u want them more black then charcoal 2 boxes isn't enough either.

Yeah that was my main concern was getting them to be even, and for all to look the same. I'd imagine that would be difficult with rattle cans. Glad I got the feedback guys I didn't really do my homework on reviews for the product. Well I suppose if I don't like these wheels the way they are I won't like them any more if they are darker haha.

For wheels, I would get them done in real black chrome. I would use this on emblems but i would buy extra to test first.

I just used this product today and it's not what it's cracked up to be. I bought some factory alloy 17 5 spokes from gen 1"s. I sanded and used thy fake spray chrome then I wanted to make it dark with this product. It does not go on evenly no matter how hard you try, my wheels definitely look shadowy now, but the faces seem to be darker then the inner areas even though I tried to spray evenly. Overall I don't care and it'll work for this winter. But I for these wheels for 175 with tires that had excellent tread. So at that price I really did not care about what I did to them. But If I had the factory chrome oes I don't think I would have messed with em.

I'll post a thread by the end of the weekend once there on the car.

You weren't suppose to sand the chrome. Its basically a shadow clear coat spray with a clear clear coat spray.

You were suppose to sand the chrome. Its basically a shadow clear coat spray with a clear clear coat spray.

Dupli-color stated not to sand the chrome because the shadow coat is translucent (however you spell that) so the scratches would be seen clear as day.

Dupli-color stated not to sand the chrome because the shadow coat is translucent (however you spell that) so the scratches would be seen clear as day.

Yeah thats what i meant, opps, fixed.He wrote that he sanded the chrome and i meant to reply that you weren't suppose to sand it, i just forgot the "nt" in "were".

Yeah thats what i meant, opps, fixed.He wrote that he sanded the chrome and i meant to reply that you weren't suppose to sand it, i just forgot the "nt" in "were".

I don't recall saying I sanded the chrome.:). The wheels were alloy not chrome. And I sanded them. Then I used the fake raddle can chrome spray on them and then I did the shadow chrome. I was attempting a ghetto rigged way at getting black chrome. Or at least a similar look. And it all worked out except the blackness is uneven. I will show
Pics this weekend. But to be completely fair to the product my wheels do look like some of the wheels is in a shadow and some is not due to the different darkness of the parts of the wheel lol.

Last edited:
I don't recall saying I sanded the chrome.:). The wheels were alloy not chrome. And I sanded them. Then I used the fake raddle can chrome spray on them and then I did the shadow chrome. I was attempting a ghetto rigged way at getting black chrome. Or at least a similar look. And it all worked out except the blackness is uneven. I will show
Pics this weekend. But to be completely fair to the product my wheels do look like some of the wheels is in a shadow and some is not due to the different darkness of the parts of the wheel lol.

lol no wonder you got mediocre results. I wanted to try this a while back just lost interest. heres my thread: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=74474

I know it was not used on straight up chrome. But that's not why I dislike it. I dislike the way it sprays onto the wheel. You almost need a turning table turning the wheel and to hold the can in one spot as it turining to get it on the wheel evenly. And I did research and it said you can use it on alloy or any finish it's just going to darken it.

In the video on YouTube it's as if the wheel is already black chrome
And they are applying clear cost to it because when you spray it little charcoal colored spray goes on the wheel clearly visible and you can't see anything going on the wheel in the video. :/

Members online

Back