Foiled by Mr. LCA Bolt!

Frankencougie

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
It's hot in the ATL right now so any work is best done when the sun goes down. I took charge of a CE from a lady at work who was slammed/jacked tonight after work and started to tear into it at 10pm. I got all the way to the last corner and the LCA bolt was stuck. I have a small sledge and a axe that I broke and use for pounding stuff like this. I hit it a couple times then did a Deep Creep soak and tried again but I doubt its very neighborly to be doing this at 3am. The sun will be an issue so I hope I can get it loose and the coil/spring in before it's 90 degrees again.

There may be a flame wrench added to mix if the tonight's soak is for naught.

ddds.jpg

Grrrr.

Which LCA bolt? To the shock or the strut rod or to the K-member?

Are you using a breaker bar? 24 inch breaker bar combined with my weight and all of the rusty crusties came off with no problem. I think your car is rebelling because its back wheels are on backwards.

I'll go out on a gamble here and guess he's talking about the lower strut mount bolt to LCA for the front.

That bolt kicked my ass. Bad.

Don't use heat if you don't intend to replace the LCA, as it will melt the bushing into a nice stinky surprise if you try (and could possibly cause you even more grief if the metal sleeve separates from the rubber.)

What worked for me was many many many MANY whacks from a 4LB hammer, bending the quick-install tab on the bolt back and putting an 18MM on it and backing it out a bit, (6 point only!) and finally whacking it more with the 4LB hammer.

Make sure you put that nut on there backwards a few threads - you will very easily mushroom the bolt head if you're hitting it directly. (Might be the time to replace this bolt if you beat the crap out of it as bad as I did mine...)

For what it's worth - my car is in the rust belt and I didn't need a breaker bar for anything but the LCA ball joint nut.

If you are talking about the cam bolt and sleeve I have used an air chisel with a punch point on it (leave the nut half threaded on to guide the punch), and push as it hammers. One of my favorite tools.

For what it's worth - my car is in the rust belt and I didn't need a breaker bar for anything but the LCA ball joint nut.

My car spent its life in Michigan and Ohio before I got it. The breaker bar made removal very easy.

If he is working on a front slammed car, I'm sure it's the lower shock mount.

Persistent beating with a hammer will get it out.

Mike

PB Blaster, let soak over night, remove by hand tomorrow

Sorry guys, I did indeed mean the lower shock/LCA bolt that is all too common to be frozen on FN10/MN12's. My semi over nite soak did the trick and it was out by 9am. As usual I go much further then I am supposed to do on a job like this, So far I've replaced the Goo'd up drivers side mirror, power washed the car, engine and then hand washed it and vacuumed the insides. As soon as the sun goes down I will wax it and detail the interior and try my best not to do anything else. I told her she has to get a tire tomorrow or I am not giving her the car back. I also told her that she needs...all the normal stuff you need to replace up front. I will give her my normal Rock Auto Moog list and go back in when the parts arrive.

dddsft.jpg

:mad:

dddsf.jpg

;)
-Scott

If he is working on a front slammed car, I'm sure it's the lower shock mount.

Persistent beating with a hammer will get it out.

Mike

.........:shifty:...... sometimes, i tried mine a few years ago when my pass ft bag went out, the bolt never came out. i had soaked it, tried to separate the sleeve a little, hell i even tried to press it through using a ball joint press, till it tried to push the sleeve through the shock. ended up replacing the arm too :mad:

Sorry guys, I did indeed mean the lower shock/LCA bolt that is all too common to be frozen on FN10/MN12's. My semi over nite soak did the trick and it was out by 9am. As usual I go much further then I am supposed to do on a job like this, So far I've replaced the Goo'd up drivers side mirror, power washed the car, engine and then hand washed it and vacuumed the insides. As soon as the sun goes down I will wax it and detail the interior and try my best not to do anything else. I told her she has to get a tire tomorrow or I am not giving her the car back. I also told her that she needs...all the normal stuff you need to replace up front. I will give her my normal Rock Auto Moog list and go back in when the parts arrive.

dddsft.jpg

:mad:

dddsf.jpg

;)
-Scott

Aint that nice of you to do all that. Wonder if you'll turn it into a project like goldbird. Ya ever get the bugs worked out on goldbird.

hey fraken I used to follow you on TCCOA I was CamellionCat I had that purple/blue 95 Cougar. BTW hows the cougie this days????

Aint that nice of you to do all that. Wonder if you'll turn it into a project like goldbird. Ya ever get the bugs worked out on goldbird.

:shifty:

Well, thanks for noticing my nice gesture Lincolnboy but this was just another coil swap not a ground up Hot Rod build from hell like Goldbird was.

Members online

No members online now.
Back