$70 p.o.s.

topher5150

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I bought a new Moog sway bar link today. After fighting to get it in I lost most of the grease because rubber boots wont stay on, and once I got about two threads in, both studs spun in their sockets. How the hell am I supposed to get them on?

then use a c-clamp to hold the stud into the spindle tight, its not garbage because it is doing this, even some of the most exspensive ball joints do this too if you dont have weight on them or a clamp when trying to tighten them. air tools are your friend for one, and second, look at them again, where the nut threads onto the stud, there should be a spot to stick an allen wrench into the end of the stud so you have something to hold onto while tightening the nut.

And you are supposed to lube them AFTER installing.

I had the same problem, the nuts are crushed just a little in order to lock them in place. which makes it impossible to tighten them down. if you go to a hardware store and grab some non crushed nuts (grade 8), zip it on with them it will wedge into place then carefully pull that nut back off with a wrench and put the crush nuts on it is easier. I just left the grade 8 non crushed nuts on it with some red threadlock but i would not recommend doing this, it could destroy the sway bar if you don't check it every now and then.

you will still need to use a c clamp

I looked at 3 different types of end links and none of them had the allen head on them

then use a c-clamp to hold the stud into the spindle tight, its not garbage because it is doing this, even some of the most exspensive ball joints do this too if you dont have weight on them or a clamp when trying to tighten them. air tools are your friend for one, and second, look at them again, where the nut threads onto the stud, there should be a spot to stick an allen wrench into the end of the stud so you have something to hold onto while tightening the nut.

should I just blast it with an impact wrench

yes thats how i put them in, and you need the crushed nut otherwise a standard nut could vibrate its way off. impact never let me down!

should I just blast it with an impact wrench

take a c clamp and try to clamp it as close to seated as possible, hand thread the non crushed nut as far as you can, hit it with an impact gun to make sure it seats all the way, do not hold the impact gun on for long or you will shear the end of the link off. (i sheared mine off after 2 hours of frustration). once it is seated take a box end wrench and (CAREFUL NOT TO UNSEAT THE END LINK) pull the non crushed nut off, then gingerly put the crushed one on.

make for certin they seat properly. I traveled for a living for 4 years. (like the move the goods). last year i had an end link snap while traveling. the dealership I was working at the time was a Honda store. I go back to the shop and ask if they can throw the new ones on for me. they agree, saying it will be an hour and $120 I pitch them my keys and forget about it... well about 2 days later i start to hear the rattle. turns out these idiots put washers on them which did not allow them to seat properly apon further inspection i discover there ghetto rig has destroyed my addco sway bar $200. and you have to pull the subframe to replace it.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I would take it back to them but it is an 8 hour drive.

Why not just do it the easy mechanic way and use an impact...if it still rotates you can smack it with a dead blow to get it to grab the seat, then continue with the impact...C-clamps..seriously guys? Yall are doing things the hard way

Why not just do it the easy mechanic way and use an impact...if it still rotates you can smack it with a dead blow to get it to grab the seat, then continue with the impact...C-clamps..seriously guys? Yall are doing things the hard way

my c-clamp comment for the average joe, use your head jeremy how many people are " mechanics " and have the " mechanic tools "
obviously if he even started this thread, he doesnt have a whole lot of mechanical ability or tools, so i was thinking on his level, easiest way for him to get the job done with limited tools and knowledge. not everyone works in an auto shop and has access to the " right tools "

Got it beak together. I used the nuts with the nylon ring from the old set...the nuts that came with moogs had an oblong in the id

man when i did mine that was the first thing I tried, the impact gun just kept spining them loose.
Got it beak together. I used the nuts with the nylon ring from the old set...the nuts that came with moogs had an oblong in the id

make shure that you use some red threadlock on thoes old nuts... they give you the replacements for a reason. the teflon is really a one time use thing

Members online

Back