LVC i need your help!

wickedwhiteVIII

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My 97 lsc has a problem I just can't figure out. I have very strong gas fumes infiltrating
The cabin. Its so bad that it makes me dizzy & teary eyed when driving. I have replaced
The gas tank and emmission tray 3 times, so that's not it. I changed the fuel filter it was
Clogged. I still have the gas fumes. I have checked the fuel lines for cracks, can't see any
I had the fuel system smoked and saw the went valve in the emissions tray had fumes omming out. Replaced vent valve with a new one from ford $78 my cost. I love my car and really want to fix it I am stumped. The fumes are horrible, and the worst part is that this problem is intermitent. I drive 100 miles and the fumes come and go 3 times. If I open the
Windows the fumes get worse. Please your inpt would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same IDENTICAL problem on my 93 but it doesnt happen that frequent nor that strong. It happens every other week or so. It get's a bit heavy with the windows up so our instinct is to open the windows to let the fumes out yet it gets really bad when I do that! I was told here on LVC to stop the car, go vent the tank via opening the gas cap. I've done it & it doesn't do anything to it. I've given up. I figure a couple burnt braincells here & there won't do me much harm right? SDAFNSDF9U LALALALALA SDFUIOSNADV BUHAHAHAHAHA SDAVIWUQEFNLSADV AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!! EXACTLY!

isnt there a vapor canister in the front bumper......almost positive on gen1's and now i walk downstairs to look at my gen2.......

not seeing it so maybe all the gen2 has is in the rear. you say you replaced the tray, how about the canisters? only other option could be the schrader valve on the evap tube is leaking, kind of a long shot but the smoke test wouldnt show that since thats where the machine is hooked....:shifty:

The reason it gets worse when you open the windows is thevent tube for the EVAP goes into the frame rail under the trunk. On the white car I cut it off and ran it to dump at the back of the bumper. Every once in a while I may get a faint whif of it but if I open the windows it would rapidly dissapate.

hmm...I think I'll try that s well. I smell mine maybe once evrey 3 months,never fails its only when I'm showing the car off to someone. :-/

Yeah, mine does the same thing sometimes. It seems to do it more if the tank has allot of gas in it(not a problem lately) or going fast in the twisties.

Wicked, is the "vent valve" your talking about the Vapor Management Valve?

In the habit of topping of the tank past the auto-pump shutoff? I heard that it can cause this, at least in a Gen one.

however i did have a lot of fume problems when the o ring on top of the tank wasn't sealing properly.

Mine had a sporadic gas fumes (more noticable in the back seat) and the problem turned out to be one of the connections on the fuel pump had rusted loose. We discovered this when the car died for good and we were replacing what we thought was a bad fuel pump. Pump is mounted into the top of the gas tank.

I heard the same thing when i worked for Ford. In fact, i think there was a tsb or something about it.No guarantee either way, its just bad for it.

i have the same identical problem on my 93 but it doesnt happen that frequent nor that strong. It happens every other week or so. It get's a bit heavy with the windows up so our instinct is to open the windows to let the fumes out yet it gets really bad when i do that! I was told here on lvc to stop the car, go vent the tank via opening the gas cap. I've done it & it doesn't do anything to it. I've given up. I figure a couple burnt braincells here & there won't do me much harm right? Sdafnsdf9u lalalalala sdfuiosnadv buhahahahaha sdaviwuqefnlsadv aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!! Exactly!

lmao

thank you all, btw Laser you're a g-d d-mn genius did wat u mentioned used a little tie strap, strapped it to the bumper cover, and im no longer dain bramaged from all the gas fumes in the cockpit. drove 167 miles today in snotty south florida traffic xpressway and stoplight to stoplight, and I did not smell any hint of fumes. As for the copper on his motorcycle stuck in the next lane next to me in 93 degree scorching heat, i could see his nostrils flaring up from my gas fumes creeping his way:D:D:D:D

I unplugged the hose, connected to the vapor vent valve, from the frame rail and got it pointing down at the bottom of the bumper...did this Feb of 2010 and to this day no more fumes in the cabin

thank you all, btw Laser you're a g-d d-mn genius did wat u mentioned used a little tie strap, strapped it to the bumper cover, and im no longer dain bramaged from all the gas fumes in the cockpit. drove 167 miles today in snotty south florida traffic xpressway and stoplight to stoplight, and I did not smell any hint of fumes. As for the copper on his motorcycle stuck in the next lane next to me in 93 degree scorching heat, i could see his nostrils flaring up from my gas fumes creeping his way:D:D:D:D
Glad I could help! I need to do this on my new Mark too as it sometimes makes a stinkey. :lol:

Members online

Back