Paint Job...Opinions?

WOW! That sounds like a lot. Is that what a paint job goes for or are they just crazy over priced?

It is if you want it done right. They would remove all the trim, glass and exterior mirrors. It also was smoothing out the paint chips and any other imperfection. They would have had the car for at least 3 weeks. These guys are the best in the area.

WTF!...That paint job is more than what the damn car is worth!

Which is one of the reasons I didn't have it done (BTW, that quote was ~2 years ago). Were the quote $3Kish, I may have had it done.

Okay, so the title basically says it all.

By the end of this year i'm planning on getting a new paint job. Not a cheap $500 one. A real one from like Maaco or something like that.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I searched, but didn't come up with anything for entire car painting. My current color is a maroon red, the kind that RollinLS has...i'm sure most of you are familiar cause he's pretty popular around these forums. :cool:

I am just really tired of that color and it looks terrible. So many blemishes and imperfections that it would cost more to repair them all to make it look good again than just paint it a new color. So, basically I just want to know people's opinions...

If you want me to, i can post pictures of all that's wrong with the car's exterior, but i assure you it's nothing that can be removed with a good buffing and some scratchx.

I want to paint it black (if that matters at all). I've heard horror stories about the paint looking terrible, but i assume that's not from reputable places...

everyone that I talked to said that it's not a good idea to completely change colors and to just get the same color put on top of it again...and i just don't really like that color. I've always been a fan of black and i think the LS looks really really slick in black. I'm also planning on adding angel eyes sometime down the road and some new wheels...so i think black would complement that the best..

They all say that it's never going to look as good as the factory paint, which i can understand. But right now, the factory paint doesn't look all that amazing anyways..

So is it going to be REALLY bad? Or is it just not going to have that deep black shine like factory black cars? Or is it going to look like a factory paint job?

Even if you have not personally done this, feel free to comment cause I genuinely want some opinions of what people think and if it's a good idea. So just let me know!

Everything I'm about to say is my opinion with some experience. First of all if you want a good paint job that will last then Maco shouldn't be on your list. You first got to ask yourself how much you are willing to spend and what are your expectations. Like it was mentioned above, you get what you pay for in life. I'm getting ready to get my car painted and I was quoted $2200. That's to go back the same color, so they basically don't have to do the jams and stuff, paint the rear surround, paint the lower body panels, take everything off the car, prep and sand the car down and two coats of clear. Depending on where you live in the country you probably wouldn't come close to something that low of a price. As far as the paint will never be as good as the factory, whoever you talked to don't know what they are talking about. If you have ever seen cars in magazines with custom paint jobs, some of these cars have multiple coats of paint on them with more clear than you'll ever get on a factory car. Remember and I emphasize this, it's all how much you are willing to spend and what you want down to the details. The best thing to do is educate yourself about the painting process and then start asking questions and ask to see their work. Now I will tell you this, if you are planning on changing the color of the car, then you will shell out some big dollars. That's more time consuming and extra steps involved. Just my two cents and hope it helps.

Thank you for the new sig :D

- hahahahaha. way to make me feel stupid! sorry about that. clearly i don't know what i'm talking about.

but yeah, so i'm guessing the general consensus is that MAACO is NOT a good idea? :rolleyes:

But i'll take some pics of the car and show you how big the defects are. they're nothing that can be fixed by buffing...
promise.

maaco is normally not a good idea. If it's a franchise, the quality of the work could vary greatly from location to location. I do know that maaco offers higher priced prep/base coat/clear coat paint jobs too, but I fear that the people touching your car are only at their "job." If you want a great paint job, find someone who enjoys doing it, and has a passion for it.

It's just that when people mention maaco, the image most people get is less than stellar.

I would never bring my car to maaco. Unless my car wasn't worth anything, and I just wanted to paint over some rust or something.

If you want a great paint job, find someone who enjoys doing it, and has a passion for it.
about as true as it gets

Yeah that is Huntsville alabama!! What kind of fastener business?
the name is JIT industries(Just In Time) they mostly do military sales(crazy hellicopter and tank bolts) and areo space(Boeing and Lockheed)

I am asking because I am currently trying to get the manifold bolts for my engine. I need to get all the original sizes and so on and have no clue on where to get them. Are you meaning fasteners like bolts and so on?
yea, they can get everything and anything, and it they dont have them, they will have them built (you should have seen these helli rotor bolts that they had to have made last year, 100 bolts for blackhawks out of some metal ive never heard of for about $1300 a bolt )

i dont know if they do any small sales, but its worth a try if your having trouble finding the ones you need, they did just move to a new warehouse a couple of months ago, i believe its in madison now

Damn, military sales? Defense contracts are where it's at. Talk about a customer with deep pockets...

the best part is that they dont even try to haggle over the price, as long as its delivered yesterday.

i dont know if they do any small sales, but its worth a try if your having trouble finding the ones you need, they did just move to a new warehouse a couple of months ago, i believe its in madison now
A company like that would not sell to just any person off of the street.

Damn, military sales? Defense contracts are where it's at. Talk about a customer with deep pockets...
A lot of what goes into that is time, availability, and requirements. There are plenty of times we have a part that could be acquired at the local hardware store...the problem is, what standard is it held to? Also, most of the parts have to be 100% from the USA; guess how much prices go up then. :eek:

No sh*t. Unions are expensive. I hate 'em. They aren't doing what they were originally intended for. They were intended to protect the workers from getting shafted. Now they are bleeding companies dry. Trying to get the most money for doing the least work.

No sh*t. Unions are expensive. I hate 'em. They aren't doing what they were originally intended for. They were intended to protect the workers from getting shafted. Now they are bleeding companies dry. Trying to get the most money for doing the least work.

Unions are the least of my problems.

A few quick thoughts on sales, supply and demand, etc.

First, I'm not a union fan. They had their time and place and I appreciate what they did for this country. Unions are needed in China right now, not in the US.

I come from an engineering background (computer and IT) and am now in sales. It is very common practice for a company to enter a market with stupid low prices. Customers jump ship because obviously the previous supplier is over-priced. The fact is that most suppliers in almost any industry have very low profit margins. If a new entry has a lower price it is because you are getting less. I challenge anyone to show me an example where this isn't the case. Dell is a prime example of a company that has done this. Note the huge lawsuit against them for shipping millions of known bad units http://www.zdnet.com/blog/projectfailures/dell-lawsuit-pattern-of-deceit/10165.

Often times a supplier such as a auto paint shop will show a car that they have done as an example of their work. The problem is that the show car is not an honest representation of their typical work. It is an anomoly showing only what their highest capabilities are, not what you are going to get.

Additionally suppliers use other methods to hide cheaper materials/labor/processes such as low quality paint that will degrade faster, or other shortcuts that initially look great but quickly fall apart.

So, the bottom line is:
Quality - Service - Price
Pick any two becuase you can't have all three.

These are simple laws of a (mostly) free market economy.

Getting off high horse now.

This is crap! I asked advice about getting a paint job 2 weeks ago and got nothing. Someone mentions Macco and information comes oozing out the wood work. :blah:
Maybe I should have started with a good punch line.:shifty:

:bsflag:

This is crap! I asked advice about getting a paint job 2 weeks ago and got nothing. Someone mentions Macco and information comes oozing out the wood work. :blah:
Maybe I should have started with a good punch line.

Quit crying. You asked a very specific question for a recommendation in a specific area, not general information on paint:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=67497

By the name of the thread alone, I didn't even open it, because I could be of no help. I haven't been to socal in 10 years.

haha. all jokes aside guys thanks for the info. Like the other guy said. Cause it actually did help! And i'm gonna be shopping around a lot more apparently!

If you want, I can hook you up with my friends shop. He does excellent work. You will not be disappointed.

He quoted me $3000 for a custom paint job and suicide doors.

If you want, I can hook you up with my friends shop. He does excellent work. You will not be disappointed.

He quoted me $3000 for a custom paint job and suicide doors.

really? That'd be absolutely awesome...
could you get me a quote for just a paint job? or if you know how much it is already that'd work for me.

Members online

No members online now.
Back