What did you do to your LS today?

evap won't set until you drive long enough in the right conditions with the correct levels of gasoline in your tank. If you have been driving until the low fuel warning and then filling the tank all the way up, it should have set within a few weeks of the last battery disconnect, not months.

Not today but recently.... 20160507_190234.jpg

20160507_190234.jpg

That Hite ... he'll try anything!
What happened to the Accel coils? No good?

Yeah,if you start with a clean engine and keep the oil UP to proper level, with full synthetic they can go long. Still, I've always heard that the additives are what breaks down(become spent) before the oil ever loses lubricity.
I limit my changes(Pennzoil Platinum 5W30) to around 9-10 thousand miles with a filter change around 5K miles into the cycle. don-ohio :)^)

I ran mine from 192k to 214 once.. I was short on money and I refused to use anything but Mobil 1 fully synthetic. It has now somewhat around 240k. Its been parked for about 2 years now. Still cranks right up.. if you jump it of course.

Yeah,if you start with a clean engine and keep the oil UP to proper level, with full synthetic they can go long. Still, I've always heard that the additives are what breaks down(become spent) before the oil ever loses lubricity.
I limit my changes(Pennzoil Platinum 5W30) to around 9-10 thousand miles with a filter change around 5K miles into the cycle. don-ohio :)^)

You know, once I thought a about changing filters half way.. then I said to myself -whats wrong with you man?? Yet you do it. So you do think it really is worth it?
My engine was very clean when I got it, I went over the red line twice and blew camahafts once and both times made a mess of valve shim's metals. I posted pics of the first time here. Still runs strong. At least till I parked it.

I believe with today's tiny filters,that you need to change them at 5000 or so into a long interval like I run. My van is coming up on 10K miles and needs a change.
I don't race or overrev, ever. I drive like the old guy I am.LOL! don-ohio :)^)

I believe with today's tiny filters,that you need to change them at 5000 or so into a long interval like I run. My van is coming up on 10K miles and needs a change.
I don't race or overrev, ever. I drive like the old guy I am.LOL! don-ohio :)^)

Lol well O drive the same way, barely even go past 2.5k rpms between shifts. Ride slow, till the highway turns come up :steering

Engines will last SO much longer when treated smoothly. One reason a standard shift is harder on everything is that it is not a progressive effort by the engine,but an up and down rpm and strain all its life.
YES, I know that a person can shift very smoothly.....I can do it easily, but still you have the rpm revving more widely. Accelerating is fun, but quick acceleration,like drag racing, road racing,etc., takes its toll eventually. don-ohio :)^)

Looks like yer well into it,Mystic..........I have that exact job to do one of these days. Not looking forward to it at all.LOL! don-ohio :)^)

So here's what I'll be doing as time permits.

* Got a deal on the 5 qt bottles of Mobil 1 - $29 each.
* Got 2 Frams - one for LS V6 other for my '04 Navigator
* The hose is the power steering high pressure hose. Replacing that is a bit of a challenge as I had to remove the PS pump in order to get to the hose nut on the pump. Still not sure how I'm gonna get it back in without damaging the hose.
* In front of the hose is a box which contains a front sport shock. I think. The other shock is seen out of the box. I got these brand new at Rockauto for $12.76 each!! They still have some. The box says they are GM OEM (UGH) but the shock is exact match for the old one and it has the white dot which in theory indicates it's a sport shock. Number on shock -18045 is same as on the old shock though old is -CA and this one -CB. If all goes well with these I plan to order 2 spares.
* On the shock box are the two new ES sway bar bushings and the collars to fix them in place. They'll be going on a new style sway bar from which I removed the old bonded bushings.
* Also seen is my newly purchased spring compressor - with locking pins. Ugh but I gotta do it.
* Some Mercon ATF for the PS.
* A set of 4 wheel locks. This is strange - the car has some 'OZ' wheels on it which look quite nice. I dont like wheel locks but I dont like my wheels stolen either. I bought these because when I came out of a movie theatre a few weeks ago, I noticed one chrome lug nut missing from each of the passenger side wheels. Strange. Did they just want the chrome lug nuts? Or were they planning to jack it up and take both the wheels? Who knows but I want to make it harder to get the wheels. I have spare lug nuts.
* a can of mobil 1 syth grease
* an air filter k&n style that came with the car that I am going to replace the stock airbox with.

So this should keep me busy and greasy for the near future.

IMG_0864_small.jpg

And then I have to attack this, a V6 pulled from a 200K Getrag LS that needs a head gasket or ...

IMG_0846_small.jpg

IMG_0864_small.jpg

IMG_0846_small.jpg

Is that a stick? If no, I will have an extra 5spd tranny next week ;-)
How about a wheels pic?

Is that a stick? If no, I will have an extra 5spd tranny next week ;-)
How about a wheels pic?

No, the Silver Bullit is an SST automatic V6. It is my daily driver until I get the 5speed running again. Here's a wheel pic:

IMG_0868_small.jpg

I have a 2001 Autumn Red 5speed that we bought new that I've pulled the engine from:

IMG_0871_small.jpg

And I already have a 5 speed tranny but it's good to know where I might get one if I need it.

IMG_0872_small.jpg

Oh and I also have a grey 2001 V6 non-SST auto. It's got the fewest miles at about 119K I think. Right now it's my daughter's daily driver.

IMG_0871_small.jpg

IMG_0868_small.jpg

IMG_0872_small.jpg

...Oh and I also have a grey 2001 V6 non-SST auto. It's got the fewest miles at about 119K I think. Right now it's my daughter's daily driver.

You know, the transmissions don't come in SST and non-SST. They are the same either way. It's only the shifter inside that is different as well as a slightly different "calibration" in the PCM.

You know, the transmissions don't come in SST and non-SST. They are the same either way. It's only the shifter inside that is different as well as a slightly different "calibration" in the PCM.

Yes I know. A distinction without a difference? Previous owner converted Silver to SST from non. And I like the SST better.

BTW, here's an oddity: when I enter the VIN for this silver non-sport car (and I have the original window sticker verifying it's non-sportiness) the various parts stores on line show it as a "Sub-model: Sport". They categorize both my other LSes correctly in this regard. Strange.

And a part anomaly: I had to pull the PS pressure switch off my Autumn red 2001 LS to install in the new pressure hose on the silver one. Reason is I could not, even with the old hose out of the car and in a vise and the nut covered with PB blaster, get the switch off the old hose. The anomaly is that my 2001 switch is an exact replacement for the one on the 2000 but rockauto shows a different switch with a square connector as the only option for the 2001. Incorrect AFAICS.

As for the Mobil 1, well it seemed like a deal to me. Walmart 25 miles away so Nav would've drank about 3+ gallons times $3.00 per (yeah it's still just shy of $3/gal for premium here) = call it $10 on the round trip. Walmart still better though by only $6.00 total. Still now that I know this, thanks, I will pick some up when I need it during a Walmart run. Or have the wife do it on way home from work.

evap won't set until you drive long enough in the right conditions with the correct levels of gasoline in your tank. If you have been driving until the low fuel warning and then filling the tank all the way up, it should have set within a few weeks of the last battery disconnect, not months.

Thanks. I may just not drive it enough before I disconnect the battery for the next electrical project. This time, it was switching the horn button springs, so I had to remove the airbag. There are 4 springs, two different strengths. The stiffer ones go on the bottom. Otherwise, the airbag/horn switch rattles a lot.

As for the Mobil 1, well it seemed like a deal to me. Walmart 25 miles away so Nav would've drank about 3+ gallons times $3.00 per (yeah it's still just shy of $3/gal for premium here) = call it $10 on the round trip. Walmart still better though by only $6.00 total. Still now that I know this, thanks, I will pick some up when I need it during a Walmart run. Or have the wife do it on way home from work.

if you have prime, you could also have them shipped to your house in two days for under $26 each.

Two tone Euro first GEN inner tails had arrived at the house on my return. (thank you Ben!)

Now to find some outers ... LOL

Members online

No members online now.
Back