Trans dropped :(

1sik32valve

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well the trans in my 97 LSC decided to **** up, question is I have the trans out of my buddies tbird but that's a 95 and it came out of a 95 mark because his original blew. will it work? And it's been rebuilt with a jmod. I'd love to hear some good news..

no, the wiring inside the trans.
since you are putting this trans into a 97, you should use the wiring from the 97 transmission.

another option is to repin the wiring harness already on the 95 trans.
this way you don't have to open up the trans. i have never done this.
maybe someone who has will contribute.

there is even a diagram out there somewhere.

Be aware there are different TCC solenoids. I'm not sure if they are backward compatible?

I also wonder if I destroyed the valve body? Because all I did was give enough gas to downshift to third and it decided to wind out in second and not shift to third or OD

It's kinda hard to explain, it grabs first and second fine. No third no OD, if I have OD off it'll hold second gear, but with OD on it just free revs until its enough throttle to grab second again.

When I hear people repin trans only i'm like WTH the solenoids are different and need to be swapped.

Right, and usually they are upgrading to the newer style so it's a no brainer. This is one of the few times I've known of someone wanting to actually downgrade. I totally understand the situation though. If the OP has a 'free' transmission available, why not? But the devil is in the details, particularly when crossing generations.

It's kinda hard to explain, it grabs first and second fine. No third no OD, if I have OD off it'll hold second gear, but with OD on it just free revs until its enough throttle to grab second again.

Stick a fork in it, it's done. No need to diagnose any further.

Damn it, ok so now I guess the question is how do I repin it then? I'm sure there is a link but what I easier repin or just swap harness on inside? The 95 trans is completely free of fluid. So tearing into isn't a problem and vise versa

There is absolutely no repining to be done using 93-97 transmission in any 93-97 car. It's an almost plug in type of deal.
Please use the outside transmission harness and associated sensors (MLPS etc) specific to your car.
The TCC solenoid is different between 93-95, and 96-98, so make sure that's correct for the year of your car.

The only time you would be repining the transmission harness is to install a 98+ transmission into 93-97 cars, although that's only partially true as well, as apparently you can use a 97 outside harness on a 98 transmission to install it into a 97 car without the need of going inside the transmission.

Swap away ! It's cake.

If you were to swap, it's easy. You just pull both pans and swap the wiring harness and your solenoids, one to the other. Then just put on the pan and throw it in the car. The solenoids are all right in front of your face once you remove the pan. You will need to unbolt the valve body though, just to release the tab that holds the harness plug in place.

But, like J said, in your case, there should be no swapping needed in your case.

I've taken several 97 transmissions and used them in older marks, no re-pining, no valve body swap and no solenoid change. I just used the older MLPS, that’s it.

That’s what I currently have today and it has been working perfectly (A 97 in my 95).

The TCC solenoid impedance varies between 93-95 and 96-98.
While it will work, you're overloading (or underloading) the solenoid circuit in the PCM, and eventually it will burn up.
How long it will take, difficult to say.

So putting a 94 trans in my 96, I would need to....? reuse the solenoid from my 96 trans?

So putting a 94 trans in my 96, I would need to....? reuse the solenoid from my 96 trans?

TCC solenoid would be all that I changed but if I'm going to go through the trouble of a trans swap, a 98+ is going in. Much better and you can manually shift them, unlike pre 98's. I have always thought that the 98 had the different voltage in the TCC solenoid but I never really have looked into the 93-95 and 96-97 and if Jeremy says there is a difference, then there must be a difference so, I would swap it out just to be safe but make sure it's even good to begin with or you might be tearing it back down to change it again. Easier to swap that stuff when it's laying in the floor and upside down.

92-97 The solenoids are wired. 98 up are different (no wires) . If 98 used must change the inside wiring to yours or change the pins in connector to work. 95 T-Bird should work because it has the same wirring as yours and the same lenght.

Also go to TCCoA form and he will show the pins to use for the 98 up It only uses One 12 vote wire to change the sols. where the 97 down uses Three 12 volt wires. It is all explained there. Good luck

When I hear people repin trans only i'm like WTH the solenoids are different and need to be swapped.

I repinned mine (96 and put in a 98 Trans) its been perfect and i get all the benifits of the better Trans.. also if i need to swap it out i just plug it up. Look for my thread or DLF's thread. we did it in his garage.

Ok I put the 95 trans in, it's done it works swapped the harness on the inside of trans from the 97 into the 95 trans, it's working fine and have all gears. I understand the 98- trans are better but in the pinch I bought this from a friend that I know the trans was good to begin with. For $200 for trans and $200 for the 3800 stall convertor that hadn't been used yet. Hell of a deal if you ask me. The trans was rebuilt in 03 with rebuild date. Idk if it being rebuilt would change the solenoids to the newer proper stuff but if they go out ill get the right solenoids.

Members online

No members online now.
Back