premium or regular gas?

I heard the us was going to be an exporter next year. It may have arrived earlier but it is still no where near the 80% export rate that canada is.

That's not actually true anymore. The US went from being a net importer to a net exporter sometime in the last three years.

US is a net exporter of finished products (gasoline, diesel, etc) it is still a large importer of crude.

For the week of 9/28/12 domestic production of crude was 6,520,000 barrels per day, imports totaled 8,106,000 barrels per day, we exported 41,000 barrels of crude per day (mostly excess on the west coast to Asia).

For finished product we imported 1,991,000 barrels per day and exported 2,872,000 barrels per day (net export of 881,000 barrels per day).

Traditionally exports have been diesel to Europe and imports have been gasoline from Europe, since their tax policy favors diesel cars and ours is neutral (mostly). Lately US consumption is down and South and Central American consumption is up. This gives us a surplus of refinery capacity that is being used to supply them.

We are importing crude, refining it and selling finished product to South and Central America.

You guys in the states don't know how good you have it. In Canada it is $1.25 per litre for unleaded now, premium is about $1.37 per litre. That's $5.20 per gallon of premum and $4.73 for regular unleaded. Even with that large price difference it is cheaper to put in the premium as the decrease in mileage still more than offsets the cost.

We get a group discount. :)

You guys in the states don't know how good you have it. In Canada it is $1.25 per litre for unleaded now, premium is about $1.37 per litre. That's $5.20 per gallon of premum and $4.73 for regular unleaded. Even with that large price difference it is cheaper to put in the premium as the decrease in mileage still more than offsets the cost.

premium is $4.99 around here for top tier, and $4.79-$4.89 for the rest.

its not unbearable yet, but it does suck. Gas went up like $0.40 in a week. But thats only ~$20 a month for me. So i guess no more starbizzles :rolleyes:

either way, id rather be driving myself around at $4.99/gal than taking a bus. nice part is less crappy cars are driving around now. just wish people would chill on the gunning it to every damn red light, acting as if me coasting to the stop makes ME the a$$hole.:cool:

premium is $4.99 around here for top tier, and $4.79-$4.89 for the rest.

its not unbearable yet, but it does suck. Gas went up like $0.40 in a week. But thats only ~$20 a month for me. So i guess no more starbizzles :rolleyes:

either way, id rather be driving myself around at $4.99/gal than taking a bus. nice part is less crappy cars are driving around now. just wish people would chill on the gunning it to every damn red light, acting as if me coasting to the stop makes ME the a$$hole.:cool:

Mobil a few miles from me..... $5.99 a gallon! The independent nearby is the same. Even Costco is $4.83. My favorite Chevron is $4.85. And the winner is...... The OCHS Oil Company gas is $6.66!!

Mobil a few miles from me..... $5.99 a gallon! The independent nearby is the same. Even Costco is $4.83. My favorite Chevron is $4.85. And the winner is...... The OCHS Oil Company gas is $6.66!!

wow:eek2:, that will teach us to try and do good by the environment.

i do like the idea of standard gas req's for the country. then our gas would be like $3.50 again, which was still kinda expensive:shifty:...once.... (remeber when it hit $3.50 from $3?) but now is a distant memory. i long for those days of under $4 gas.

worst part is the ethanol..i hate it.

gonna water my gas will ya...hows that logical, i just gotta buy and use more to get the same distance as regular fuel without ethanol...and we can save the corn for fattening the cows, like it should be used for

Too bad the environment has nothing to do with prices. That is just a smoke-screen.

yeah. here i am paying $60 for stupid smogs once every other year, having "special" cats only for CA needed on my car, and gasoline only for us hippies....lowering availability, increasing cost.

i want to move to texas. just wish it wasnt a hell hole (sorry texas members, and the cowboys)

edit:

why doesnt carb just allow gas to be trucked in from neighbor states to ease pains of this "perfect storm" that caused gas prices to skyrocket?

that would be to easy a solution?

DO NOT USE LOWER GRADE THAN 91. Fuel mileage will decrease more than the savings.

yeah. here i am paying $60 for stupid smogs once every other year, having "special" cats only for CA needed on my car, and gasoline only for us hippies....lowering availability, increasing cost.

i want to move to texas. just wish it wasnt a hell hole (sorry texas members, and the cowboys)

edit:

why doesnt carb just allow gas to be trucked in from neighbor states to ease pains of this "perfect storm" that caused gas prices to skyrocket?

that would be to easy a solution?

Because their control over you is more important than your wallet. You can afford to spend 6 bucks a gallon on gas if you want gas, otherwise you can't have it. I know it's not the air quality because we have better air out here than you have over there.

Because their control over you is more important than your wallet. You can afford to spend 6 bucks a gallon on gas if you want gas, otherwise you can't have it. I know it's not the air quality because we have better air out here than you have over there.

They keep touting air quality; and I will give them the air quality is much, much better than when I was growing-up; but the problem with the L.A. BASIN is it is, well, a basin! The Indian name for the L.A. area is Valley of Smoke! That was when the area was pristine and untouched by the "white-man's hands"! I guess The People's Republik will return to Mexican hands when enough citizens leave the state.

They've been trying for decades to get us in their buses and trains. Well, I checked into it when my commute was ~65 miles each way. First, the monthly pass was ~$300 (in 1992), I needed to get from home to the train station (need a car) then from the train station to the airport, ~15 miles away. That would take a bus or yet another car. I figured my ~1 1/2 hour each way commute would take closer to 3+ hours. NO THANKS!! I'll stick with my car and the convenience of getting where I want to be when I want to be there.

Yep. We don't have your special gas in Oklahoma, and the worst we get is the occasional ozone alert day when the wind isn't blowing. That happens maybe 5 times a year and it's probably mostly due to the air quality sensors being at the airport.

No. The engine reaches the same operating temperature summer or winter.

Ever tried to add a quart of 10W30 when it's been sitting in the back of the vehicle overnight at -10 degrees F? Turns to something akin to a very thick molasses. That same consistency is no doubt in the block at those temps as well. The motor (I'm guessing) has to work rather hard to turn a crank through that muck.

Just saying I figured it was all about the state of the oil when it's cold, not at operating temp.

Ever tried to add a quart of 10W30 when it's been sitting in the back of the vehicle overnight at -10 degrees F? Turns to something akin to a very thick molasses. That same consistency is no doubt in the block at those temps as well. The motor (I'm guessing) has to work rather hard to turn a crank through that muck.

Just saying I figured it was all about the state of the oil when it's cold, not at operating temp.

Yes, and 5W20 or 0W20 should be just fine winter or summer.

Agreed. Just wanted to point out that there are cases where different oils are used. I run 5W30 year-round in the LS, but my 85 Chevy can be pretty difficult to start if I keep 10W30 in it in the winter when night-time temps get way down there.

Anybody wants to make predictions as to how many days before someone else starts a new thread on octane rating?

I cant believe this stupid thread is still alive. We need a mod to lock it already. I guess I am 'fueling' it by typing this post.

I have not read through all the post but IMO this is a question that shouldnt even be asked. The LS is ment to run on premium. So thats what you should put in the LS even if it does runs fine on regular. But thats just my opinion.

I guess I should have started a "How much is your gas" thread instead of piggy-backing this one......

Yes, AFAIK.

i heard once you start to use synthetic oil its not good for the engine to go back to regular oil is there any truth to this? or the oil companies way of getting people hooked

i heard once you start to use synthetic oil its not good for the engine to go back to regular oil is there any truth to this? or the oil companies way of getting people hooked

There may have once been some truth to that as I've heard that they had some incompatible additives in the beginning. However, it is certainly not true now, and hasn't been for several years.

Note that Ford says you must use at least a synthetic blend to keep your warranty valid. The difference between full synthetic and the blend is that full synthetic doesn't have any "regular" oil in it. So, switching between a blend and full synthetic couldn't possibly be a problem. You should never use just "regular" oil in the LS. as it doesn't meet Ford's requirements.

Members online

Back