Whats with the GTP's

StinkinLinkinLS01 said:
No offense Rollin...but IMHO...that is the ugliest beretta I have ever seen. It looks like a bunch of rednecks put something together to make fun of ricers and that is what they came up with...

The LS is hott though...lol...
You don't know much about Beretta do you? The only appearance mods are ram-air hood(which I made myself, fully functional do to the supercharger), the E36 BMW headlights(made the mounting brackets myself), and shaved front bumper(I shaved the turnsignals and fog lights). The purple paint job is 6 years old. I am repainting the car ford super white. Heres is a picture of the origianl look of the car when I bought it.

Stage 2.jpg

crab daddy said:
speed limiter is removed with every pcm that is on the market and can easily be done by every tuner on the market for them also.
I'm not sure exactly what you're saying here. If you're saying that his LS's speed limiter can be removed by the XCal, then, yeah, that's correct, but not all LSes have the same top end from the factory, because they didn't all come with the same tires. Lincoln set a lower limit on the cars with the lower speed-rated tires, so that's probably what's happening in his case.

Rollin, I was gonna say it looks pretty much stock appearing myself. I love the Beretta's, well just the GT's and z26's. Have wanted one for awhile but its hard to track down a decent one. There was a gorgeous one for sale around here about 1 year ago but I did not have the money at the time.

I do gotta say your's does need a paint job, its current state does not give it the credit it deserves.

crab daddy said:
14s are the norm in these cars, 15s are either loaded down with extra weight, or really bad drivers or crap gas (s/c motor does not like low octane)

The GTP is weak? The interior is plastic which is ghey but what do you want when you can buy them new sub 25k (I bought mine with 16k on it and cost 15k). They handle like a sponge, but not meant for road racing. Besides that, they are an attractive car. they have standard leather and heated seats and dual digital climate control, and Bose sound option.... and they have a heads up display (which I hate not having in the lincoln). I think they are tons of bang for the buck.
I sure the bang for buck is true, not to mention pratical yet fast. The looks do nothing for me and the non GT/GTPs are really, REALLY pathetic looking.

My brothers friend had I believe 99 2-door GTP. He acted like it was something super special. When I told him I raced one and it was pretty much even, he pointed out he blew the doors off my bros Mark7, of course I was driving my Mark8, I don't think he realized the big difference. Anyway the guys kind of a wanna be.

He crashed it, bought a Cherokee, then traded that in for a Highlander. I guess it wasn't so super special after all.

I think Ford screwed up by not continuing with the SHO. I think the 2000up body style in a SHO package would have been pretty good compitition for the GTP. Not trying to start a war here, just my input.

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:
I think Ford screwed up by not continuing with the SHO. I think the 2000up body style in a SHO package would have been pretty good compitition for the GTP. Not trying to start a war here, just my input.

Only if they improved the motor.. the 3.2L DOHC---> needs help in IMHO.. but I have seen completely stock one run high 14's in 90 deg weather at the IRP. My best ET was 15.4 to date... last time had it at the track.. it ran 15.7 with over hlf ofg tank of fuel and the 90 deg heat and humidity.

What I like about the SHO is it more than just motor by Yamaha.... it has suspension (SARC) and few other things you don't see on regular Taurus

To bad its no longer made.. :mad:

pete02lse
"Seriously, I'd love to know what they did to the trans to get it to hold."

check out www.pfyc.com or www.3800performace.com they both sell trannys that could support a 9 sec run. the second site actually has full performance set ups for the gtp. i had a 98 gtp before my ls, too bad it had 130,000 miles on it and the previous owner drove it hard. they are really a fast car. i do love my ls tho....to bad it doesn't have the heads up display

So being that we are talking about GTPs here is a question in regards to my personal situation. This may be a waste of time and I shoudl probably post these questions in a GTP forum but I all ready know what they would say and I noticed there are a couple GTP enthusiasts in here as well and being that most LS owners are usually pretty financially acute and are seasoned in the car buying world I figured this might be a good place to bring this up and get some good advice and direction - hopefully.

When I turned 18 and decided I could afford my own car originally I wanted a GTP with a budget of $8,500 including a $2500 down payment I'd saved up. I was going to take out the $6,000 loan in my name through my credit union.

I've always been into luxury and I love the LS and most everything about it. I ended up going with the LS because:

- I love the combination of luxury and performance compared to not only the GTP but to many other cars in my price range.

- I landed a pretty decent job making about 25k/yr with commission while working through school although I do plan on moving out within a year or so but monthly base pay is only around $1200/mo.

- I landed a pretty decent deal on a 2001 Lincoln LSV8 with 60,000 miles and all the options - $13,900 and bought it on impulse with the help of my $3500 down pmnt and my pops co-signature.

- And most fortunately...I still live at home, which helps free up a lot of money. BUT I do work FT AND go to school FT.

Here is my problem:

- I went slightly above my original budget of $8500 when purchasing the LS! I've had my LS for about a year now and put almost 20k miles on it! My LS now has like 88,XXX miles on it! Even with my warranty repairs and mods are costly and I can only imagine it getting worse from here on out.

- The total estimated monthly cost for my LS with gas, car pmnt, and insur comes to about $650/mo...that monthly base pay is about $1200/mo if I don't commission!

- Does this car make sense for someone in my situation?? Still living at home...still in school....paying $650/mo for a car that I'm tempted to beat on all the time?!

- I didn't really take into consideration how difficult it is getting around in the Minnesota winters with the RWD V8LS and how hard the winters can be on cars like this. A GTP is not ideal but would fare much better if I was forced to drive it.

I could sell my LS to a private party and break even if not cash out a little. My loan is down to about $11000 and the private party value is still above $12,000 but falling quickly...

I could then "downgrade" to a 1999 GTP for around 7k with a 2k downpayment and a 5k loan which would probably leave me with a monthly payment around $150 compared to my current $280 for the LS which would free up some extra cash.

With that switch I could build up the GTP to a 12-13 sec car by the time I move out AND be able to payoff a 2nd vehicle for the winter. My monthly cost to drive the GTP I'd imagine would be around $450 if that...

What do you guys think? What makes more sense for a 20 year old college student living at home with a monthly income averaging at about $1200/mo?

Keeping my LS for about $650/mo and continue riding in style while "ballin on a budget" yet restricting my need for speed...

OR...

"downgrade" to the GTP...satisfy my need for speed save myself $200/mo and save up for a 2nd vehicle and more importantly rent money when I'm finally forced to move out...

As I am sure you could guess, I love my GTP. I will try to keep that factor out of this. The LS is already yours. You will almost always get screwed tring to sell a used car and it is not easy to find a decent used car for a good price. It is not a good idea to modify your daily driver, unless you have a back up car. Even basic mods can have 1 little thing go wrong that leaves you stranded until you can get to a bone yard or buy a part from an online store (which is where you will get 99% of GTP mods).

I would suggest sticking with the LS and waiting to go 12s in something after you can afford to do so without relying on it for work/school.

The only other thing I could see, If you had to get a GTP. Buy one cheap and save enough money for a beater to run in when the GTP is down for upgrades or down due to damage.

The GTP can be made to go fast but, most people jump into something they don't understand enough about and end up popping pistons. When that happens they are forced into either parking it for a long time, or if they have the money and know how, swapping out to a bone yard short block... or even worse, if you cant do it yourself, paying a fortune to have someone do it for you.

I have 90k on my 99 and it yas been modified and raced for around 70k. I am still running my stock shortblock. It can and has been done, but you have to know what you are doing and do tons of reading first.

along the same lines above, have you thought about buying a beater and keeping the LS? Seriously, a 93-98 Honda Civic(Accord, prelude) could be had for cheap, gets good gas mileage, FWD for winter, tough as a damn tank (at least my sisters is). Then keep the LS for weekends and mods or whenever. 2000-4000 should get you something decent. Be aware, imports can be addicting............they got me once. ;)

What do people think of the (widely?) held view that Pontiacs are sports cars for the "trailer trash" set?

LMAO,

There are stereo types for everything. Lincolns are for lil old blue hair white knuckle ladies and wanna be mobster guito types.

technically, the Pontiac is a upgrade from the Chevy for most of their cars. Just like ford and mercury.

I love white trash cars. Give me ws6 trans am any day.

Yea I was thinking of getting some nitrous...but I don't have a 2nd vehicle right now and the LS is my daily driver. Also my LS has 88,XXX miles and I don't wanna push my luck.

I was thinking of getting a beater but I don't want something too junky and I need it to last through the rough MN winters. I was hoping for maybe a Jeep, explorer, or some sort of SUV/Truck for less than $6500. That would be the perfect combo with a GTP...

Members online

No members online now.
Back