Whats with the GTP's

2002_LS_V8

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
every weekend when i go hang out with friends (car lovers) i always end up having to race a gtp or two... do they feel that they must compete with our cars or what?? by teh way dont race a gtp with pully, computer, i/e they will start walking u after about 70 :shifty: stock ones are pretty slow after 60 tho, they hang until around 55 then i start running from them ;)

I don't know about that. I've raced several GTP's....stock...smaller pullies...chipped...intake...exhaust.

I've probably raced more than a dozen different GTPs from a roll, from a dig, and on the highway and I've never won. Then again, the GTP I raced on the highway was pretty suped up so I might be able to beat a stock say 98 GTP 100+ mph but other than the GTP walks the LS all day long...

I can't speak for the newest ones, but the typical ones you run across are strong off the line, roll start. They don't seem to have as long a legs thou. Stock ones should be beatable by a LS. They do mod easy and really move when modded. I raced one with my first MarkVIII, he pulled a nose off the line, then it was pretty even, and I even picked up some as we went to about 100. That MarkVIII was slower than my current MarkVIII and my LSE.

My landlord has 2003 Mercury Marauder (all stock). She wants to race me. Anybody had a chance to go against one these?? I have a 00 lincoln ls v8 with just the xcal2 running 94 octane gas.

LS_Monk said:
My landlord has 2003 Mercury Marauder (all stock). She wants to race me. Anybody had a chance to go against one these?? I have a 00 lincoln ls v8 with just the xcal2 running 94 octane gas.
It'll be close as long as its stock. Most publications on those were mid 15s, but I've heard high 14s happen. You should be a very low 15 with the tune.

I guess I better get that CAI and magnaflow exhaust on before I do. That way mine might be able to see some high 14's too.

You should. I Have the LSK Aluminum Intake Tube with KKM and the Magna-Flow exhaust, no tune yet, its coming soon. I managed a 15.041 with 20s on. Stock wheels would have broke into the 14s. With a tune I'm hoping to hit a 14.7. Time will tell.

StinkinLinkinLS01 said:
I don't know about that. I've raced several GTP's....stock...smaller pullies...chipped...intake...exhaust.

I've probably raced more than a dozen different GTPs from a roll, from a dig, and on the highway and I've never won. Then again, the GTP I raced on the highway was pretty suped up so I might be able to beat a stock say 98 GTP 100+ mph but other than the GTP walks the LS all day long...

u should easily be able to take a stock gtp after about 60 man, i know every time i race a stock one at the top of second gear i start pulling on them and by the end of 3rd most of the time i got around car and a half on them or more... but then again my car is wierd for some reason, its the only one thats limited to 120 top speed and it spins tires easy even if i only step on it like 25%... maybe my computer was messd by the first owner??? but then again i only do 15.4 at 93 mph on 2.4 60' :confused:

Since we are talking about the 3800sc in the GTP(240 horses stock). Here is a picture of my 3800sc. Did I mention I put in a '91 Beretta GTZ?:) The motor is NOT stock. Producing around 250 horse to the wheels. I ran it against my LS V8 from a roll. It wasn't even close.

GTZ 73.jpg

GTZ 81.jpg

GTZ 82.jpg

LS car show 29a.jpg

LOL, I know when my 99 GTP was stock, I ran around 14.8 stock (never had been to the track before that with any other car). My 97GTP went 14.3 stock (that was my friend driving it before I bought it from him.. it isnt stock any more).

You are right, stock gtps, run out of legs fast. 1/8 mile is normally very strong on a stock gtp but falls flat up top.

I am not sure why, but when mine was stock, I always looked for a SHO or TL/CL s-type or 94-96 impala or what ever... something about haveing to show up the other sedan/family car types. Its silly really but when I first got it, I thought it was some kinda muscle car or something.

Now I don't waste my time on most cars unless the driver is really irritating me or when ever I get a chance on a vette or M3(I love taking down vettes with a 4 door).

RollinLS said:
Since we are talking about the 3800sc in the GTP(240 horses stock). Here is a picture of my 3800sc. Did I mention I put in a '91 Beretta GTZ?:) The motor is NOT stock. Producing around 250 horse to the wheels. I ran it against my LS V8 from a roll. It wasn't even close.

Nice, my buddy sold his GTP and bought a V8 LS... now he started a fiero project. He is dropping a s/c3800 into it. They fly in such a light car.

If I didnt like driving my GTP so much, I would consider doing the same and swapping my drivetrain into a fiero too.

crab daddy said:
Nice, my buddy sold his GTP and bought a V8 LS... now he started a fiero project. He is dropping a s/c3800 into it. They fly in such a light car.

If I didnt like driving my GTP so much, I would consider doing the same and swapping my drivetrain into a fiero too.
Why stop with the 3800sc? Do a northstar v8 swap. Company in California makes a kit for the 3800sc and northstar swap for the Fiero. I heard the handle goes to crap with both swaps thou.

crab daddy said:
LOL, I know when my 99 GTP was stock, I ran around 14.8 stock (never had been to the track before that with any other car). My 97GTP went 14.3 stock

I've seen many, many 15 sec GTPs at the track. My 1st MarkVIII only 1/4ed 15.5s and it ran a petty much dead even heat with one. 14.3 stock?

RollinLS said:
Why stop with the 3800sc? Do a northstar v8 swap. Company in California makes a kit for the 3800sc and northstar swap for the Fiero. I heard the handle goes to crap with both swaps thou.

The N* is a heavy motor and is not as easy to squeeze more power out of. Not to mention I have tons of experience with the 3800 along with parts and tools and scanners and programmers... etc. I got my 99 pretty quick just by nickle and diming stuff into it over the last 5 years.

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:
I've seen many, many 15 sec GTPs at the track. My 1st MarkVIII only 1/4ed 15.5s and it ran a petty much dead even heat with one. 14.3 stock?

Are you sure they werent GT?

I am a member (one of the founding members) of a grand prix club. There are around 200 members (closer to 40 active) and have only seen a very few hit 15s without really blowing a launch or running with a malfunction. If you screw up, you can run poor times. I ran a 20 second 1/4 last time at the track because I tore the cv boot and it sprayed grease all over the belts which caused it to slip and studder and have spuratic boost. When I ran 14.8 in my 99 I was stock and running in August heat.

The 97 was freakishly fast on its original motor, which blew up the first time down the track with a cam. There is another member of my gp club that has a 98 that was running 14.4 stock. 14.7-14.9 seems to be the normal range.

No offense Rollin...but IMHO...that is the ugliest beretta I have ever seen. It looks like a bunch of rednecks put something together to make fun of ricers and that is what they came up with...

The LS is hott though...lol...

haha i agree, very nice LS tho ;) and most gtps around get low 15's i only seen one get 14.9 and it was a 97, it seems like they are the quickest.

2002_LS_V8 said:
haha i agree, very nice LS tho ;) and most gtps around get low 15's i only seen one get 14.9 and it was a 97, it seems like they are the quickest.

I am not gonna argue over a couple tenths (well, not gonna argue much), But, I am a member of a gp club with 200 members locally and a national club with over 10,000 members. I have been working on these things for years. Most do not run 15s without an elevation problem (running at tracks way above sea level) or a down syndrome driver.

If you can cut a 2.1 60' (just about any chimp can) you can run 14s in a gtp.

I always looked for a SHO or TL/CL s-type or 94-96 impala or what ever... something about haveing to show up the other sedan/family car types.

Now Crab Daddy why did you have to go there... :D

crab daddy said:
LOL, I know when my 99 GTP was stock, I ran around 14.8 stock (never had been to the track before that with any other car). My 97GTP went 14.3 stock (that was my friend driving it before I bought it from him.. it isnt stock any more).

You are right, stock gtps, run out of legs fast. 1/8 mile is normally very strong on a stock gtp but falls flat up top.

I am not sure why, but when mine was stock, I always looked for a SHO or TL/CL s-type or 94-96 impala or what ever... something about haveing to show up the other sedan/family car types. Its silly really but when I first got it, I thought it was some kinda muscle car or something.

Now I don't waste my time on most cars unless the driver is really irritating me or when ever I get a chance on a vette or M3(I love taking down vettes with a 4 door).

Those GTP's are quick even in stock form. When modded they can be really quick. Whenever I go up against one I am usually hesitant about it. Providing they have some of the simpler bolt on mods they can run some very respectable times.

Mac98SHO said:
I always looked for a SHO or TL/CL s-type or 94-96 impala or what ever... something about haveing to show up the other sedan/family car types.

Now Crab Daddy why did you have to go there... :D

ha! no offense intended at all. Personally, I like every one of those cars. I like the Lincoln LS also, I did buy one.

I bought my 1st GTP because I had a child and needed something with some space. I was pleasantly suprised when I realised how quick it was. I was even happier when I realised how fast they can be made.

There are 3 fwd GTPs in the 9s that I know of right now. There are a bunch in the 10s and 11s. 12s are relatively easy to get to. Many people hit 13s for about a $100 in mods and a good launch.

There's a guy around me that has one of the 12 second GTPs that was mentioned and I've tangled with him in my 99 Camaro SS. From a roll...he hung right with me. Of course...he's got extensive mods and lots of $$$ tied up.

I would like to see a GTP running anything lower than 11. Seriously, I'd love to know what they did to the trans to get it to hold. There plenty of things you can do to get it into the 11s but...lower...I'd like to know what has been done. Now, if we're talking full blown race cars...then maybe...but...I highly doubt there's any sub 11 FWD car that is driven on the street.

A GT isn't going to run anywhere near a MarkVIII. I know the difference between a GT and a GTP. From what I've seen low15s are more common than high 14s, I'm assuming stock. I'm also assuming the 14 sec ones are modded as they are obviously faster than the norm I've seen, I could be wrong. The one I raced with my slower MarkVIII may of had loads of stereo equip. or some unknown. I'm just saying I thought the 14.8-14.9s were the GOOD runs, not the norm. I guess maybe there a few tenths quicker than I thought. 14.3 is moving thou, and stock?
Speed aside, the car is pretty weak.

2002_LS_V8 said:
but then again my car is wierd for some reason, its the only one thats limited to 120 top speed and it spins tires easy even if i only step on it like 25%... maybe my computer was messd by the first owner???
If it's limited to 120mph, it's most likely because it came from the factory with the package that included H-rated tires, which are only rated to 130mph. I don't know the pre-'03 packages, so I couldn't tell you which one it was.

SoonerLS said:
If it's limited to 120mph, it's most likely because it came from the factory with the package that included H-rated tires, which are only rated to 130mph. I don't know the pre-'03 packages, so I couldn't tell you which one it was.

ohh that sucks i guess... o well xcal will fix that problem :cool:

Pete02LSE said:
There's a guy around me that has one of the 12 second GTPs that was mentioned and I've tangled with him in my 99 Camaro SS. From a roll...he hung right with me. Of course...he's got extensive mods and lots of $$$ tied up.

I would like to see a GTP running anything lower than 11. Seriously, I'd love to know what they did to the trans to get it to hold. There plenty of things you can do to get it into the 11s but...lower...I'd like to know what has been done. Now, if we're talking full blown race cars...then maybe...but...I highly doubt there's any sub 11 FWD car that is driven on the street.

My buddy runs low 11s and drives it on the street regularly. I run low 12s (will no doubt be 11s next outing) and has been my daily driver for years.

Me and my friend both are running Intense transmissions with gm racing "bullet proof" input shaft, forged output shaft, upgraded clutches, 3.29 gears. I am running an Intense LSD and pro torque converter and a 7/8 chain. He is running quaiffe differential and ati torque converter and a 1" gm racing chain. I am still running the stock supercharger (gen3 M90) and he has upgraded to a MP112 (gen V)

zooomer ran 9s in his and still drives it on the street. (not daily though)
http://www.zzperformance.com/miscftp/ZZP9SGTP.wmv

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:
A GT isn't going to run anywhere near a MarkVIII. I know the difference between a GT and a GTP. From what I've seen low15s are more common than high 14s, I'm assuming stock. I'm also assuming the 14 sec ones are modded as they are obviously faster than the norm I've seen, I could be wrong. The one I raced with my slower MarkVIII may of had loads of stereo equip. or some unknown. I'm just saying I thought the 14.8-14.9s were the GOOD runs, not the norm. I guess maybe there a few tenths quicker than I thought. 14.3 is moving thou, and stock?
Speed aside, the car is pretty weak.

14s are the norm in these cars, 15s are either loaded down with extra weight, or really bad drivers or crap gas (s/c motor does not like low octane)

The GTP is weak? The interior is plastic which is ghey but what do you want when you can buy them new sub 25k (I bought mine with 16k on it and cost 15k). They handle like a sponge, but not meant for road racing. Besides that, they are an attractive car. they have standard leather and heated seats and dual digital climate control, and Bose sound option.... and they have a heads up display (which I hate not having in the lincoln). I think they are tons of bang for the buck.

SoonerLS said:

speed limiter is removed with every pcm that is on the market and can easily be done by every tuner on the market for them also.

Members online

Back