Polished aluminum hood on the Mark

isaiah3g

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So here it is. I have had it like this for a few months now and I love it. Some might say it doesn't go with anything else on the car, that its too much bling, or they just don't like it. Well, its mine and I thoroughly enjoy it. :)

I had a spare Mark for parts and I took the hood off and spent right at 15 hours getting it to this point.

Sanded the hood to the primer with 180 then 320 through the green stuff (etch primer I guess?) then hit the aluminum with 600, went to 800 wet, 1000 wet, 1200 wet, 1500 wet, 2000 wet and finally 3000 wet. Looked reeaallly good

I buffed it with some aluminum rogue and then hit it with some mcguirs (sp) polish. I ran out and used mothers.....big mistake. It totally changed the look of the hood as if I poured milk on it.

The hood would haze no matter how clean and 'cool' I kept it. This aluminum wasn't meant to polish. So I took some ultrafine sand pad and stroked it to give it a brushed aluminum look. BIG MISTAKE again. I should have left it because when I brought it outside the next day and didn't have the fluorescent light on it the haze was gone and it didn't look as brushed as I hoped for.

enough chat, here it is. One looks like its wood, but its the reflection from a gas station ceiling. I was 15 mins away from Cruisin the Coast in Biloxi (2hrs from home) and the plug threw out the block. :-/

Polished hood1.jpg

Polished hood3.jpg

Polished hood2.jpg

Polished hood4.jpg

No problem! Its about time I did it. ;) I've been meaning to, just.... I be lazy.

its sooo different but soo cool. its not something i could pull off with my own car but you definitely make it work. great job man

I think it'd look even better with a copper tint to match your wheels.

Nice work. Lots of hard labor there. It would be interesting to see that hood on a black or midnight gray car.

Looks cool now why not to the trunk lid.
also I wouldn't tint the hood but I would
Carry the stripe through it I think it would tie it together.

Hood looks cool, my favorite part of your car is the wheel color, always thought it was sick!

Polish it with Busch's aluminum polish for a final finish... then get it powdercoated high gloss clear

Looks cool. Would probably help to see it in person. Someone else had a faux carbon fiber film added to his roof on a pearl Gen 2. It actually looked pretty cool. I like seeing people stretch the boundries on customizing the look.

dont think i would do it if i could, but i definately like it a lot!

A+ for the effort too

Some copper tint to match the wheels and clear...with a line to continue up the hood?

Now thats classy man. Looks great....options are limitless. :cool:

Never drive towards the sun. My friend's 76 Continental has a big chrome strip on the edge of the hood towards the wiper cowl that has almost caused a wreck or two, I couldn't imagine the whole hood raping my retina...

Wait until it blinds you while driving....

Never drive towards the sun. My friend's 76 Continental has a big chrome strip on the edge of the hood towards the wiper cowl that has almost caused a wreck or two, I couldn't imagine the whole hood raping my retina...

yea i would have to say it would blind you driving into the sun, not at noon but mornings or afternoon when its at a low angle, no prob yet? i appreciate something it takes alot of handwork to do. good job.

Members online

No members online now.
Back