Lincoln LS 302

5.8 - 3.9 = 1.9 liters
6.7 - 3.9 = 2.8 liters

i checked on calc too LOL
What where you using for heads again?
What are your expected E.T.'s for this?

LOL!

Glad you have a sense of humor.

!!DISCLAIMER!! The engine is a budget build!!END DISCLAIMER!!

I am running a set of Floo Tek 50x heads with stud mount rockers off of my last project.

http://www.tristatecylinderhead.com...ducts_id=163&zenid=52jvh2e2hfip3tve3s7j30kee5

I don’t plan to race this car. My plan is just to do the swap and make it work properly.

Stay tuned...

Glad to see your not using E7 castings. Those look like a nice street head. I have the budget build in my vert too so I know where your coming from. Goodluck!

Glad to see your not using E7 castings. Those look like a nice street head. I have the budget build in my vert too so I know where your coming from. Goodluck!

I have so much Ford stuff lying around. On this build I was debating a '73 351 short block with GT40p heads, an x303 cam, and Howard's roller lifters (all stuff I have on my shelves).

At the end of the day I purchased the Explorer 302 for two reasons:

1. The cam sensor is a variable reluctance type (just like the Lincoln LS)
2. The balancer is a 36-1 tooth designed for 50oz external crank (can't find a 36-1 for a 351w).

The rest, as we say it, is history.

Again, a lot of time and research has gone into this project. I'm looking for a turn-key start up with the factory PCM and 25lb (3.9 gen 1 are 21lb) injectors.

We will see how that goes. Right now I have one extra engine electrical lead that I do not know what to do with. The variable intake valve control. This might be a nice option for some electric exhaust cutouts around 3500 rpm.

Peace and chicken grease!

Ahhh, the Vic Jr. style intake converted to EFI use. Memories :)

This is an awesome swap. I look forward to build pics :)

Transmission

Here are some transmission pictures.

You can see what I had to do to modify the 5.0 bell housing. The first pic is the 4.0 bell off of the Mustang to give you an idea of the hole shape and size.

The factory LS transmission mount bolted right to the 2005 and up Tremec.

Also, the Mustang pedal assembly will not work.

40bell.jpg

50bell.jpg

50slave.jpg

shift.jpg

mount.jpg

Engine

Here are a couple of pictures of my long block and the engine bay.

The last picture is of my 2000 dollar LS.

Eng1.jpg

eng2.jpg

bay1.jpg

bay2.jpg

Link.jpg

Pedal Differences

For those who are curious, here are the pedal assembly differences.

Unlike the Mustang, the two bolt holes on top are in-line on the Lincoln assembly.

Additionally, the slave cylinder on the Mustang assembly is about 1" too far to the left to line up with the firewall.

ped2.jpg

JagPed.jpg

Last edited:
Transmission Diagram

For those of you who are interested I have included my wiring schematic for "fooling" the TCM.

This wiring diagram will provide starting, reverse lamp functionality, indicate "P" when in neutral, "R" when in reverse, and "D" for forward gears on the instrument cluster.

Note:
I did not include the starter relay wiring which will be diverted to the clutch switch or the cruise control. This is TCM only.

The FEM is a controller and only two pins interface with the shift selector. They are both 12 vdc switched (11 and 15 of C201f) and neither is a sensor input so the FEM is not an issue.

Man-U-Fake.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you are doing a heck of a job with this so far.
This will be a cool project once you get it up and running.
Have you tried to stick the motor in the hole yet to see if it fits?

Interesting to see what you do for accessories. I would guess using a set-up for the 5.0 and just re-plumbing and wiring the engine bay? Not like you aren't already doing that. What's some custom PS and AC lines at this point. :)

Depending on how well the fit and finish are, the idea of a stroked 351 looks VERY attractive to me!

Looks like you are doing a heck of a job with this so far.
This will be a cool project once you get it up and running.
Have you tried to stick the motor in the hole yet to see if it fits?

Thanks for the interest!

No, I haven't tried it yet. I travel two weeks out of the month. My plan is to shove it in next go around -- in mid January.

Interesting to see what you do for accessories. I would guess using a set-up for the 5.0 and just re-plumbing and wiring the engine bay? Not like you aren't already doing that. What's some custom PS and AC lines at this point. :)

Depending on how well the fit and finish are, the idea of a stroked 351 looks VERY attractive to me!

Thanks for the questions.

I have the accessories for the Explorer.

Details:

Engine wiring - Explorer main harness mated to LS harness (Diagram coming later)

Explorer alternator - same side as LS and same connectors
Explorer PS - same side as LS, LS reservoir (if high enough), same line fitting
Explorer AC - same side as LS, mate Explorer pump fitting to LS lines

Cooling Fan - S-Type Electronic (Delete Hydraulic Pump) - Hydraulic pump solenoid, AC relay/clutch engagement lead to S-Type fan relay (diagram coming soon!)

Note - 351w - requires more fabrication:
Explorer accessories will fit (they bolt to heads)
Explorer balancer (36-1 trigger wheel) is the wrong balance and will require machine work. 351w - 28oz ext & 302 = 50oz ext
Explorer variable reluctance cam sensor will not fit 351w oil pump rod. Machine work is necessary to modify a 3.9 or 4.2 liter cam sensor '99 or newer.

Thanks for the questions.

I have the accessories for the Explorer.

Details:

Engine wiring - Explorer main harness mated to LS harness (Diagram coming later)

Explorer alternator - same side as LS and same connectors
Explorer PS - same side as LS, LS reservoir (if high enough), same line fitting
Explorer AC - same side as LS, mate Explorer pump fitting to LS lines

Cooling Fan - S-Type Electronic (Delete Hydraulic Pump) - Hydraulic pump solenoid, AC relay/clutch engagement lead to S-Type fan relay (diagram coming soon!)

Note - 351w - requires more fabrication:
Explorer accessories will fit (they bolt to heads)
Explorer balancer (36-1 trigger wheel) is the wrong balance and will require machine work. 351w - 28oz ext & 302 = 50oz ext
Explorer variable reluctance cam sensor will not fit 351w oil pump rod. Machine work is necessary to modify a 3.9 or 4.2 liter cam sensor '99 or newer.

Well considering I am talking about a stroker motor it's not that big a deal. There are plenty of ways to get the cam sensor to work as well as the crank timing ring. But unlike the goal of your project, it would not be an OEM-compatible swap. I'm just curious to see how the electronics play out and if it all shoe-horns under the hood without problems.

Other thing that is interesting is that this if a first gen LS. I wonder if this would convert the same into a second gen. Not sure if you could disable the variable exhaust timing or not.

I am overwhelmingly impressed with the detail work you are doing in this project.

On an allied subject, since the 351 engine is actually slightly larger on the outside than a 302 is, it might make sense to make use of a 347 'kit' in order to have more useful torque than a 302 will provide.

KS

Well considering I am talking about a stroker motor it's not that big a deal. There are plenty of ways to get the cam sensor to work as well as the crank timing ring. But unlike the goal of your project, it would not be an OEM-compatible swap. I'm just curious to see how the electronics play out and if it all shoe-horns under the hood without problems.

Other thing that is interesting is that this if a first gen LS. I wonder if this would convert the same into a second gen. Not sure if you could disable the variable exhaust timing or not.

Cool, stay posted for the fit and finish.

IMHO - 2nd Gen cars use the CAN bus. So, if you are going 2nd Gen do a straight over 2005 and newer Mustang V8 swap. Then you can use the Mustang PCM and still have your factory gauges.

I might do a Coyote 5.0 swap in a Gen 2 after this one.

I am overwhelmingly impressed with the detail work you are doing in this project.

On an allied subject, since the 351 engine is actually slightly larger on the outside than a 302 is, it might make sense to make use of a 347 'kit' in order to have more useful torque than a 302 will provide.

KS

KS,
Thanks for staying up on my project.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I don't always believe all of the hype about 347 being too weak because of the 302 block. If the engine is blue-printed a stock-blocked 347 making 450 horsepower will last all day long at the strip. Heck, use the transmission cooler as an oil cooler too.

We have a lot of options here.

KS,
Thanks for staying up on my project.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I don't always believe all of the hype about 347 being too weak because of the 302 block. If the engine is blue-printed a stock-blocked 347 making 450 horsepower will last all day long at the strip. Heck, use the transmission cooler as an oil cooler too.

We have a lot of options here.

I'm not sure how blueprinting a block will help much other then to make sure it's properly built. The later model 302 roller blocks like to crack down the lifter valley around 450-500 horse or so. Maybe this was addressed with some extra metal or webbing in the 94+ mustang or explorer blocks? It has been a while since I've kept up with any of it. Last I messed with anything as involved as engine swaps was with a bunch of fox body mustangs and rangers in high school.

Several years ago I spent 14 months doing a series of articles on building an FE engine for Mustang Illustrated Magazine. All the work was done in the Roush Prototype Shop. The main activity there was the development work done for their NASCAR effort.

NASCAR Ford engines are based on the 302 architecture.

KS

Cool, stay posted for the fit and finish.

IMHO - 2nd Gen cars use the CAN bus. So, if you are going 2nd Gen do a straight over 2005 and newer Mustang V8 swap. Then you can use the Mustang PCM and still have your factory gauges.

I might do a Coyote 5.0 swap in a Gen 2 after this one.

You must be rich!!!

Several years ago I spent 14 months doing a series of articles on building an FE engine for Mustang Illustrated Magazine. All the work was done in the Roush Prototype Shop. The main activity there was the development work done for their NASCAR effort.

NASCAR Ford engines are based on the 302 architecture.

KS

Yeah, but they aren't a production 302 block like what came in a '93 fox body. :)

I know some aftermarket blocks added webbing and extra material in the lifter valley to alleviate the issue. 450 to 500 HP is still a pretty hefty number for an NA windsor block that is not stroked.

Cooling Fan Diagram

I threw together this cooling fan diagram.

It looks like the same pin is used from the PCM on the Jaguar and the Lincoln LS. Considering all of the circuits are typically negative (to avoid a chassis short) this should work.

Looks like I have to add another single pull to my component list...

FanDiag.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back