Mark VIII Swap Performance

johnboy89

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I swapped an engine from a 98 Lincoln Mark VIII into a 2000 Mazda pick-up last year.

The performance in this thing is terrrible to say the least:confused: Used a gtech pro and two times of 7.18 & 7.88 for 0-60.

The truck has a cobra intake, 4.10 gears and the sniper tune.

I recently put a wideband on it and was around 12.3 @ WOT, thought this seemed decent.

The truck runs fine and gets off the the line pretty decent, not sure, but think the the truck should perform much better than this:confused:

Thanx:)

kids005.jpg
[/IMG]

cobra001.jpg
[/IMG]

hows your other supporting mods? exhaust, transmission, and such? no clogged cats or bad o2s?
its a 98 engine, so it has obd2. get a scan tool that reads live and watch the o2s flip flop and such.
the coils in good shape? no missing?
not alot to go on really. need some more info. 4.10s in a truck? how's traction on launch? not much weight back there.
whats a b2500 weigh anyway?

Sorry, 3242 for reg cab, 3500 for ext. All curb wieght.

If everything was done up right perhaps the problem lies in the tune.

hows your other supporting mods? exhaust, transmission, and such? no clogged cats or bad o2s?
its a 98 engine, so it has obd2. get a scan tool that reads live and watch the o2s flip flop and such.
the coils in good shape? no missing?
not alot to go on really. need some more info. 4.10s in a truck? how's traction on launch? not much weight back there.
whats a b2500 weigh anyway?

The exhaust is custom home made headers try-y, 2 1/4" pipe with summitt turbo mufflers. I'm sure there is some bottlenecking on those headers, but shouldn't be much worse than the stock exhaust manifolds.

The engine runs very well no missing, bucking etc.....

It will take off fine from the line, grabs failry decent considering the light rear end, but once it gets up in the RPM range and it falls flat on it's face.

The tune is the one created by special forces when you go through the menu options. I thought that this might be a problem, but how much of one???? Wanted to put it back to stock, but need the PATs disabled so that's not an option.

With the weight of this truck and a decent launch I'm thinking I should at least be in the low 14 high 13 range???? This truck feel like a mid 15 sec. car:confused:

I did a scan tool run with the recon software, if somebody wants to look at it?

Thanx:)

the tune can be a major problem. someone with the skills and hardware would know, but idk anything about tuning.

high rpm power loss could be, stuck imrcs, weak fuel pump, over active knock sensor,and so on.
are you using the truck fuel pump? it may very well not be big enough.

I was thinking IMRCs too... Can you remove the tune and try it on a stock tune?

the tune can be a major problem. someone with the skills and hardware would know, but idk anything about tuning.

high rpm power loss could be, stuck imrcs, weak fuel pump, over active knock sensor,and so on.
are you using the truck fuel pump? it may very well not be big enough.

The fuel pump is the original 98 Mark VIII pump, probably could be upgraded???

I've wondered before on the knock sensor the headers are very close to frame and metal parts, although do not hear any banging.

I'll bet the IMRCs are not opening.

The IMRC's are not stuck, they were just put on recently, but are they opening??? How does one check to see if they are????

I was thinking IMRCs too... Can you remove the tune and try it on a stock tune?

I don't think I can as I need PATS disabled to start the truck, I guess I could try it.....

The IMRC's are not stuck, they were just put on recently, but are they opening??? How does one check to see if they are????

well i can stick my head under the hood in the back and rev the engine and watch them move. i had one where the actuator linkage unhooked from the imrc shaft.

You need to get that over to a tuner with a dyno and go thru a complete tune with mapping and data logging. There are any number of issues that could be causing your lack of power.

Cool swap.
What trans did you use?
Stall convertor?

Get it tuned, or learn to tune or both.
If it was me I would go SCT and ditch the special forces.

I'll bet the IMRCs are not opening.

Well this was the problem:D, had no power on the control box, found the +12V wire taped up in the bundle. Has much more power now up on the top end, was able to shave off over a full sec. on the 0-60 time.

I'm sure the tune can be tweaked too, maybe it's time to get er on the dyno????

Thanx for all the help much appreciated

Cool swap.
What trans did you use?
Stall convertor?

Get it tuned, or learn to tune or both.
If it was me I would go SCT and ditch the special forces.

I used the Mark VIII tranny with the original convertor.

A friend was selling the special forces, so that's what I went with at the time.

Thanx

More stall! :)

What did you do for a driveshaft?
Rear?
You get it dialed in and I think you will need some good tires and weight in the rear :D

It will shock some people, makes me look twice.
Dyno time would be a good thing.

What is your 60 foot?

I'm sure the tune can be tweaked too, maybe it's time to get er on the dyno????

I'm sure it could be tuned a lot on the dyno. But the dyno is only part of the equation. The electronic control of the 4R70W and the lockup converter could use some reprogramming as well.

Maybe some good racing suspension parts. Any plans on slicks.

Members online

No members online now.
Back