Anti Lock Brakes self test.

DieselDan

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I did a good bit of searching, but cannot seem to find the procedure to do a self test on the ABS on a gen 1. My ABS/TC has been playing some really weird games lately and I thought I knew what it was until today. I had to replace my ABS pump motor about a year ago, because at 19mph the ABS and TC lights would come on because the motor was dead and the module was not seeing a speed signal from the pump motor at 19mph. The car started doing the same thing again a few weeks ago and I just figured it was the pump again. I pulled the motor connector out the other day, and put 12v to it, and it spun and also after that I didn't have a light come on until today. I assume the motor may have been stuck, and me putting power to it freed it up. Anyway today it rained, and this is the first time I have driven in the rain since I put the TL in it. A couple times if I spun rear wheels from a stop, the ABS light would kick on and stay on, and I would lose ABS and TC. I tried recycling the car and restarting, below 19mph, the ABS works well and cycles the tires so they don't lock up. Other times, the light won't come on at all, until I would stop again and try to make the TC do its job from a stop.

I had assumed up until today that the pump was dying, but that would mean that the ABS wouldn't work at all, but it does work... This is intermittent, and all of the above described happened in the same timeframe/test drive. I am curious if I may have a bad wheel speed sensor, but what seems to make sense to me is just the ABS pump is working but is maybe weak, explaining why the TC works(no foot assist) and the ABS does work(system pressure from brake pedal application)

Thanks for any thoughts/insight. A user here had a pump that I was going to buy, but was trying to nail this down before I spent the money...

I'm going for the bad or dirty wheel / speed sensor. My 94 would kick on the ABS light at 19 to 20 mph for 4 years straight. Only problem I had out of it was seeing that light, which I got used to seeing. The ABS runs a "self test" at between 10-15 MPH from what I have read but like you, my light came on at 19 to 20 mph.

............../----------- \
........./........[.]...[G].....\
..../...............................\
/.....[.].........[.]...[T]....[.]..|
---------------------------

ABS Data Link Connctor (C170) viewed from pin face:

L = Warning lamp to dash

G = Ground

T = Trigger

To pull codes, use a paperclip to jumper the ground and trigger pins together.
Turn ignition key to RUN without starting engine.
Count ABS light flashes to get two-digit code. Each code takes about 15 seconds if there are mulitple codes.

ABS Error codes:

11 (ABS Module)
17 (Reference Voltage Problem)
22 (LH Front Inlet Valve)
23 (LH Front Outlet Valve)
24 (RH Front Inlet Valve)
25 (RH Front Outlet Valve)
26 (RH Rear Inlet Valve)
27 (RH Rear Outlet Valve)
28 (LH Rear Inlet Valve)
29 (LH Rear Outlet Valve)
31 (LH Front Sensor)
32 (RH Front Sensor)
33 (RH Rear Sensor)
34 (LH Rear Sensor)
35 (LH Front Sensor)
36 (RH Front Sensor)
37 (RH Rear Sensor)
38 (LH Rear Sensor)
41 (LH Front Sensor)
42 (RH Front Sensor)
43 (RH Rear Sensor)
44 (LH Rear Sensor)
51 (LH Front Outlet Valve)
52 (RH Front Outlet Valve)
53 (RH Rear Outlet Valve)
54 (LH Rear Outlet Valve)
55 (LH Front Sensor)
56 (RH Front Sensor)
57 (RH Rear Sensor)
58 (LH Rear Sensor)
61 (FLS Circuits)
62 (Travel Switch)
63 (Pump Motor Speed Sensor)
64 (Pump Motor Pressure)
67 (Pump Motor Relay)
71 (LH Front Sensor)
72 (RH Front Sensor)
73 (RH Rear Sensor)
74 (LH Rear Sensor)
75 (LH Front Sensor)
76 (RH Front Sensor)
77 (RH Rear Sensor)
78 (LH Rear Sensor)

Found this from my friends over at SHOforum.com

I got a code 63, so I guess I do need a pump motor again afterall...? This is the exact same issue I was having when I had to replace the pump the last time...

............../----------- \
........./........[.]...[G].....\
..../...............................\
/.....[.].........[.]...[T]....[.]..|
---------------------------

ABS Data Link Connctor (C170) viewed from pin face:

L = Warning lamp to dash

G = Ground

T = Trigger

To pull codes, use a paperclip to jumper the ground and trigger pins together.
Turn ignition key to RUN without starting engine.
Count ABS light flashes to get two-digit code. Each code takes about 15 seconds if there are mulitple codes.

ABS Error codes:

11 (ABS Module)
17 (Reference Voltage Problem)
22 (LH Front Inlet Valve)
23 (LH Front Outlet Valve)
24 (RH Front Inlet Valve)
25 (RH Front Outlet Valve)
26 (RH Rear Inlet Valve)
27 (RH Rear Outlet Valve)
28 (LH Rear Inlet Valve)
29 (LH Rear Outlet Valve)
31 (LH Front Sensor)
32 (RH Front Sensor)
33 (RH Rear Sensor)
34 (LH Rear Sensor)
35 (LH Front Sensor)
36 (RH Front Sensor)
37 (RH Rear Sensor)
38 (LH Rear Sensor)
41 (LH Front Sensor)
42 (RH Front Sensor)
43 (RH Rear Sensor)
44 (LH Rear Sensor)
51 (LH Front Outlet Valve)
52 (RH Front Outlet Valve)
53 (RH Rear Outlet Valve)
54 (LH Rear Outlet Valve)
55 (LH Front Sensor)
56 (RH Front Sensor)
57 (RH Rear Sensor)
58 (LH Rear Sensor)
61 (FLS Circuits)
62 (Travel Switch)
63 (Pump Motor Speed Sensor)
64 (Pump Motor Pressure)
67 (Pump Motor Relay)
71 (LH Front Sensor)
72 (RH Front Sensor)
73 (RH Rear Sensor)
74 (LH Rear Sensor)
75 (LH Front Sensor)
76 (RH Front Sensor)
77 (RH Rear Sensor)
78 (LH Rear Sensor)

Found this from my friends over at SHOforum.com

what does this mean ಠ_ಠ my abs light keeps coming on and pressing the trac assist button does nothing.

That you should run the self test

durrhurrbasset1.jpg

now lets here from someone who isnt a complete sarcastic tard。  

WHERE DO I GANGSTER RIG THIS PAPERCLIP?

under one the headlight covers is a red connector. it will look like the connector drawn out above. jumper the two wires, get in the car, turn it on, watch the abs light flash, count flashes, convert to 2 digit numbers, interpret problem.

Hey Dan, you ever figure this out? I've also got a code 63 now. Abs light kicks on at 19 mph as well.

Abs pump motor. It's no fun to replace. I did mine like 2 years ago with a POS I got from the JY for $75 bux... Put it in the car and it started leaking from between the valve body an the pump motor. Took my old pump apart and reused the steel gasket that goes between the two. Ran okay up until a few months ago. I finally got a bug up my butt to go get another one. This one was from a 96 and was $25. I put it in the car and had and had an ABS light. The pump has a 4 pin circular connector identical to what is on the air suspension pump, the valve body has a large connector with maybe 20 pins and all blue wires... I tried connecting my old valve body up and the light stayed out. Sooo, I pulled the pump assembly back out, swapped my old valve body onto the new motor and voila, it was fixed... Now, good luck bleeding it. I cut the pigtail off the car in the JY and hooked it to the pump motor and put 12v to the pump motor with all 4 bleeders open. This will eventually get you some pedal. There is still a lot of air trapped in the valve body that a service bleed could get out, but I didn't have the card for it. Once you get a slight pedal, go find a gravel road and do a bunch of panic stops... Re-bleed the system and see how your pedal is. That worked for me. You will need to remove the LF inner fender, the bumper cover and the battery to do the job. Hopefully you don't get the pump problems I had with my JY parts. I'll put up some pics when I get home, still have the old pump.

i was gonna do that, but then i have a 3 day weekend, and found a deal on a new abs pump.
so this happened:

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

Oh snap! Where did you get a motor? I thought you could only get a JY motor. Godspeed my friend bleeding that thing.

Oh snap! Where did you get a motor? I thought you could only get a JY motor.

rock auto had them listed at like $200, but i checked one day and they were $85. so i bought one. looks just like the old one. same looking sticker and everything. so i'm happy.

Godspeed my friend bleeding that thing.

:lol: thank you. i'll need all the help i can get...

Mine was acting up two years ago.... light never went out.... then I wrecked it....... now its happy again. Dunno what happened there.

all right. all back together. brakes are still a little spongy so i'll have to bleed them again. but with the 13" front brakes i have no issue bringing about ABS intervention with my 275 tires.
fantastic. thanks for the help.

Members online

No members online now.
Back