My First Engine Rebuild

GMAN

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm building up my son's 97 Evergreen LSC. He's been stationed in Japan for the last two years, and I am getting his Mark ready for when he comes back. There were some problems with his motor, Cylinder 3 misfire that I couldn't fix. So I decided to build another motor. I had my motor from my Black LSC that burned up, so I took it apart, sent the heads off to the machine shop for new valves, lifters and stiffer springs. I took the pistons out of the block and had it magnafluxed. Then I installed all new Ford rings and bearings, as well as all new Ford gaskets.
0dd45a92.jpg

ea7061c0.jpg

6ababc80.jpg

e6f95cce.jpg
568aa3ee.jpg

5211b669.jpg

I too did powdercoated valve covers and intake to make the motor look as good as it's going to run.
95c47352.jpg

Should drop that one pic off to the side down one so they all fit in the same screen.

Did you get cam locks?

you sand blasted the throttle body? the parts look great but i wouldnt have touched the throttle body, you cant mess with them, the inside of the bores and butterflies have a special coating on them and when you mess with it you will have an irratic running motor, my throttle body is black but i taped everything off on it and just painted it high gloss high temp black to match my intake, those throttle bodies cant be messed with, i hope you didnt sand blast the throttle body!

The cam lock tool is what locks the cams in place so you can attach the sprockets without losing the timing. The cams are not keyed to the sprocket and they will move when tightening down the bolts.

you sand blasted the throttle body? the parts look great but i wouldnt have touched the throttle body, you cant mess with them, the inside of the bores and butterflies have a special coating on them and when you mess with it you will have an irratic running motor, my throttle body is black but i taped everything off on it and just painted it high gloss high temp black to match my intake, those throttle bodies cant be messed with, i hope you didnt sand blast the throttle body!

No the throttle body is not sand blasted.

Installing new timing chains, and new tensioners.
085.jpg

Is this what you are talking about Bill. I don't know all the terminology. :)
086.jpg

087.jpg

Got everything unhooked from the car, I'll rebuild this motor next later this summer.
088.jpg

I dont see any tool there to lock the cam in place. How did you time it?

Out With the Old

The old motor from my son's Mark was removed today, ready for the new motor.
041.jpg

053.jpg

052.jpg

050.jpg

An the new motor stands by waiting to go in.
049.jpg

048.jpg

047.jpg

043.jpg

Last but not least, preparing for 3.73's and trak lok
042.jpg

Yes sir, your son is a lucky guy to have a dad like you. My old man never did one thing with me, just yell at me. Your doing a bang up job there.

Yes sir, your son is a lucky guy to have a dad like you. My old man never did one thing with me, just yell at me. Your doing a bang up job there.

tell me about it... i grew up with a Mr. know it all and thats all he ever said to me.

back on topic LOL, Great looking engine! love that color scheme!!

Thanks guys. I want my son to have a nice car when he gets back in a few months. Everything new is going in. Starter, all gaskets are Ford products. Should be a clean running car.

that is awesome some day I am going to hand my Mark off to my son and my convertible off to my daughter....I look forward to the day I can hand them the keys saying they deserve this....your son is going to be glad to be home...does the green represent the Army? are you putting headers on the car?

Nice.
He is going to love it, I bet you can't wait until he's back.
Does G jr know what you been up too??

Members online

No members online now.
Back