009-Copy.jpg

014.jpg

012.jpg

017.jpg

016.jpg

106.jpg

lincoln2.jpg

013.jpg

awesome build. Finally has a proper engine. Sad that it fits in there better then the 3.9L. Is it running?

I'm more interested in the transmission install. Also, does the heater and cruise control work?

At least he posted some pics. The car is for sale if you haven't heard. I think he id down to 10K.

The transmission was by far the worst part of the swap if any one is wanting to do this swap I would suggest using a auto, although I will say the 6speed does fit in stock tunnel. The entire swap was done without any sheetmetal being cut. The other bad part was having to build a aluminum front sump oil pan but thanks to 417motersports it wasn't a big deal just expensive.

The transmission was by far the worst part of the swap if any one is wanting to do this swap I would suggest using a auto, although I will say the 6speed does fit in stock tunnel. The entire swap was done without any sheetmetal being cut.
Could you please elaborate on the difficulty?

I have a few questions, too:
- I imagine the motor mounts are custom-made. If not, was there an off-the-shelf set that worked for this swap?
- what kind of modifications were needed for the shifter to sit in a comfortable location, if any?
- What did you use for a transmission crossmember?
- Did the pedal assembly require any modifications?
- Is the clutch hydraulic or cable operated?

The swap looks well-done. Nice job!

Maybe this has been asked, but what prompted this swap, did the old engine take a dump?

So from what I gather everything works except the stock gauge cluster which is why you have those aftermarket gauges that seem to be working good. Let me think of what else might not work. I ask because these are question people who are actually interested in buying will want to know.

-Does the seat and steering wheel still motor back and forth when the ignition key is inserted and removed?
-Does the traction control work at all? On my LS the ABS applies the brakes to the spinning tire and if that's not enough it pulls back the engine power. I'm guessing that only the ABS power might still work which leads me to my other question:
-Does the ABS work?
-Is the E-fan automatic? How'd you set it up? Is there a manual override?
- Where did you put the ECU?
-Does the engine have enough low end power to use 6th gear? I ask because with a 0.5 overdrive the engine revs would be very low with the stock 3.07 rear end.

Thanks.

Also I think it's a good looking swap, I would only change the intake to look cleaner.

EDIT: What year/model car did this engine/transmission come out of? Is there a check engine light that works for the LS1 ECU?

Last edited:
Enquiring Minds Want To Know

The work seems to be very nicely done.

But I'd be interested in an extended discussion of the thinking behind the 'in your face' decision to use a 'Government Motors' engine in a Ford car. You'll understand, I'm sure, my feeling that somebody s h i t in the engine compartment.:D

KS

The work seems to be very nicely done.

But I'd be interested in an extended discussion of the thinking behind the 'in your face' decision to use a 'Government Motors' engine in a Ford car. You'll understand, I'm sure, my feeling that somebody s h i t in the engine compartment.:D

KS

I'd think it would be something along the lines of

1. Price
2. Availability
3. Aftermarket
4. Size (which seems to be a hung issue with engine swaps in the LS, especially other ford engine which are SOHC or DOHC thus large, wide heads)
5. Reliability, the LS1 coils probably don't fail every often(just an example)

Other Alternatives

You'll note that I asked for the OP's thinking. But taking the points offered:

If you have to buy an engine, you can certainly buy a Ford as inexpensively as a chib.

The small block Ford is smaller and can also be lighter than the chib used.

The SBF has a significantly larger aftermarket than the LS1 chib.

The SBF can be completely independent of any ECU if that's a criterion.

If potential power output was one of the deciding factors, the chib is once more the loser.

Since SCT claim a complete adjustability of operating factors, it would be practical to install any AJ engine. Everything will work, and it's possible to get as much as 500 HP with a factory engine. Used AJ 4.0+ engines are available for less than $3K.

Whinging about ignition coils on engines with 100K miles is sort of silly. We hear about it here because there are many here who want to spend their money on stereo equipment instead of maintenance.

I bought my '02 LS new and haven't had any bad experience with the level of maintenance needed. With 146K miles, I'm on my second set of coils and my third set of plugs. I'm also on my second battery, and I've replaced the alternator. I'm on my third set of brake pads, but still have the original rotors in the back, and I just replaced the front brakes about three weeks ago. I don't have to add oil between changes. So what's to complain about?;)

KS

Sorry.. My post was stupid.. He got the engine out of his wreaked TA so that's why he did it.. I believe he said the stock Lincoln motor spun a bearing?..

You'll note that I asked for the OP's thinking. But taking the points offered:

If you have to buy an engine, you can certainly buy a Ford as inexpensively as a chib.

The small block Ford is smaller and can also be lighter than the chib used.

The SBF has a significantly larger aftermarket than the LS1 chib.

The SBF can be completely independent of any ECU if that's a criterion.

If potential power output was one of the deciding factors, the chib is once more the loser.

Are you talking about the old 5.0/5.8? Or the modular 4.6/5.4? Either way the only thing I think we'd agree on here is to agree to disagree.

I can't think of anything you can't get of an LS1 that you can get for either of those engines.

I think the only thing that concerns you here is that he put a GM engine in a Ford vehicle. It happens all the time. If you feel better about keeps things in the family good for you, but let me point out that the LS really isn't a FORD anyway so really the Duratec V6 didn't belong there in the first place. If we are going to argue this further maybe we should move our convo to the anything goes part of this forum.

Sorry.. My post was stupid.. He got the engine out of his wreaked TA so that's why he did it.. I believe he said the stock Lincoln motor spun a bearing?..

The duratec v6 is known for spinning rod bearings because they used aluminum rod bearings for some reason. The solution is supposedly replacing the bearings with clevite 777 bearings.

I should add that it's more common in the transversely mounted engines which is why the oil sump is so large on the v6 as the engineers where trying to prevent this on the LS.

The Impropriety of a Govt. Motors Engine in a Ford-sourced Car

Are you talking about the old 5.0/5.8? Or the modular 4.6/5.4? Either way the only thing I think we'd agree on here is to agree to disagree.

I can't think of anything you can't get of an LS1 that you can get for either of those engines.

I think the only thing that concerns you here is that he put a GM engine in a Ford vehicle. It happens all the time. If you feel better about keeps things in the family good for you, but let me point out that the LS really isn't a FORD anyway so really the Duratec V6 didn't belong there in the first place. If we are going to argue this further maybe we should move our convo to the anything goes part of this forum.
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):

Let's start with a row of smilies to make sure that this isn't a pissing contest but simply a discussion with a degree of disagreement stirred-in.

With that said, of course it's necessary to talk about pushrod engines clear across the board. Here then is a short list of the items that aren't available for the LS1 that are readily available in the aftermarket for a SBF.
1. A selection of aftermarket heads
2. A selection of aftermarket intake manifolds
3. thirty or forty different designs of headers
Et Cetera---I'm sure you see what I mean

Since the Lincoln LS was built on the same assembly line at the Ford Wixom plant as the Ford Thunderbird (and the little Jag) and all engines that're factory-installed were built in Ford plants, and all the profits from the manufacture of all these vehicles went to FoMoCo and from them to the holders of Ford stock, you are offering a distinction without a difference.

The fact that it happens 'all the time' doesn't make it a good thing to do. The 'in-your-face-ness' of so doing is one of a number of reasons why I so enjoy 'putting-it' to the owners of 'Government Motors' cars.

I don't really care where the discussion goes on. I'm sure that if we're somehow trespassing, a moderator will speak up.

KS

Who cares if there are lots of SBF aftermarket heads. Frankly, GM LS heads outflow most of them from the factory. Lots of guys go sub 10 second 1/4's on factory GM LS heads in heavy cars. The GM factory block is MUCH stronger than any late model SBF. I've seen a late model SBF literally split in two at roughly 550 crank HP. It's almost double that for a GM LS.Don't get me wrong, I like the SBF, but the GM LS is leaps and bounds better in stock and modified form.

Members online

Back