lincoln ls1 build pics

it should have this engine

2010-Bentley-Mulsanne-Engine-570x426.jpg

Sure it did :rolleyes:

What would you NOT have to do to a old 5.0 EFI that you would have to do to make an LS1 fit?
Ditto that.

I would prefer a Ford engine installed as well, but this guy performed a successful swap with a more powerful and enjoyable drivetrain than what it came with from the factory. We don't see this sort of modification tackled on a normal basis with the LS, so he should be applauded...even if it doesn't pass emissions in some states. It's just all the more easier for you to perform a swap in your own car, but you can address the emission standards however you need to on your own car, as well.

One More Time

Sure it did :rolleyes:

What would you NOT have to do to a old 5.0 EFI that you would have to do to make an LS1 fit?

Just for starters, perhaps, not use EFI? And remember that I never suggested an 'old' anything. One thing you can't get away from is that the use of a chib LS engine is equivalent to s h i t t i n g in the engine compartment of a Lincoln. :):)

KS

There are a plethora of backyard Mustang/Windsor combos making north of 1K HP that are regularly driven on the street. That's one reason I mentioned the trip to the store. Take a quick read through the Turbo Forum.KS

Lets stay with normally aspirated engines. BTW... Why does ford always have to go to supercharging to get comparable power?

I haven't personally built a small block Ford for a number of years. But I just took the time to watch a TV thing regarding the use of the chib LS as swapping material. Their thesis was that a bone-yard basic engine could be had for as little as $1500.00 but that by the time that a desireable version and all the ancillary stuff is acquired, the cost will be between $5000.00 and $10,000.00. And that's for a used engine.
I was involved, several years ago, in a '377' project, using virtually all factory parts. In that case we used Cleveland 2-barrel heads, a 351 Windsor block, a '400' crank and a used intake manifold found on the internet. Made just a squeak over 500 HP at the wheels. And it was truly a garage' project.KS

A used iron block 5.3 truck engine with the Vortec heads ported and polished to some degree. Roller rockers and stiffer springs, used LS6 intake w/80mm throttle body and a set of headers will put you in that price range. Depending on the cam, about 500 HP at the flywheel. A nice "garage project"

My own current project has some sponsorship help so comparing costs probably isn't fair. But it will have taken less than $5000.00 out of my pocket when complete and will produce something north of 1K HP; likely about 1500 if you factor in the methanol/nitrous oxide. And it'll be a DD configuration. With nothing from government motors.:D
KS
I don't get it, why would GM want to help you build a Ford motor?

My own current project has some sponsorship help so comparing costs probably isn't fair. But it will have taken less than $5000.00 out of my pocket when complete and will produce something north of 1K HP; likely about 1500 if you factor in the methanol/nitrous oxide. And it'll be a DD configuration. With nothing from government motors. :D

KS

I don't get it, why would GM want to help you build a Ford motor?

GM isn't.. He has racing sponsors..

Here We Go Some More

Lets stay with normally aspirated engines. BTW... Why does ford always have to go to supercharging to get comparable power?

FORD doesn't, and what are you comparing to?

A used iron block 5.3 truck engine with the Vortec heads ported and polished to some degree. Roller rockers and stiffer springs, used LS6 intake w/80mm throttle body and a set of headers will put you in that price range. Depending on the cam, about 500 HP at the flywheel. A nice "garage project"

I emphasize that this was a 'garage' project, done because of the inexpensive availability of the intake manifold. Cash outlay was less than $1000.00, but such things as the carb and diz were already in hand. 351 blocks and 335/M cranks can be picked up for almost nothing---they are incredibly 'plain vanilla' when it comes to FORD parts. And the dyno run was on a chassis dyno---the actual reading was 502 at the TIRES if I remember correctly.

KS

One More Time

He probably comparing the Lighting and SS.. Even proven on Trucks! (Powerblock), they had to throw way more parts at the 454 to try to even compare to the Lighting.. The 454 is a dog imho..

From what was written, it seemed to me as if he was suggesting a substantial activity in 2K HP street-driven GM products.

The 454SS originally came out to 'make whoopee' against the 351 pushrod version of the Lightning. That Lightning was faster than the chib and handled better as well. There has never been any legitimate comparison between the two trucks.

To more-or-less finish off this topic, my thesis is that although the OP did an excellent job of the engine swap, the only legitimate reason to do so was that he had it. It would have been better to sell the chib (pontiac?) parts and install a superior Ford-sourced engine. Less work and better results. (He must be disappointed in his result, or why is he selling it?)

KS

Just for starters, perhaps, not use EFI? And remember that I never suggested an 'old' anything.
KS

You suggest old school carb engines then say you're not suggesting "old" anything, I guess cam IS fine with molesting within the family but outside the family is NOT ok... :eek: Sometimes keeping things in the family isn't the most important thing.

He probably comparing the Lighting and SS.. Even proven on Trucks! (Powerblock), they had to throw way more parts at the 454 to try to even compare to the Lighting.. The 454 is a dog imho..

They used forced induction on the ford is why, Ace is right on this one Ford does use forced induction often to make the power numbers they want.

Well i got busy too many questions to stay on top of, The car was a 2002 lincoln ls v6 auto car, the engine tranmission combo came from a 2002 ws6 (motor is same year as car) it is a 5.7l LS1 (the ls1 is way smaller in size/weight vs mustang 4.6 iron block) and i didn't have to buy a cobra pull out to get a 6speed.
My buddy owns 417 Motorsports (there kinda famous for there ls1 swaps) i have a 2000 f150 with a 6.8l v10 with a GT47
IMG_1386-1.jpg

that was a pain in the ass im still having tunning issues with it (theres no one around here that deals with ford tunning on that level.
the GM ls series motors are a very simple swap this on in the ls took a oil pan, motor/transmission mounts/ a one piece drive shaft, a shifter, some clutch petal work and wiring.

To more-or-less finish off this topic, my thesis is that although the OP did an excellent job of the engine swap, the only legitimate reason to do so was that he had it. It would have been better to sell the chib (pontiac?) parts and install a superior Ford-sourced engine. Less work and better results. (He must be disappointed in his result, or why is he selling it?)

KS

He's selling because he wants to pay for schooling. There's still nothing suggesting that using a ford sourced engine would have been easier or had better results(although using a engine out of a front sump ford from say a torino may have helped but would put the manual trans shifter way far forward).

i think the ls1 fits better then the factory v6 did its got twice the power and gets better mileage

They used forced induction on the ford is why, Ace is right on this one Ford does use forced induction often to make the power numbers they want.

They do this because they can push the same numbers with better fuel econ.. And what else do they fi? Besides the Lighting and Cobra.. Leaving the new EcoBoost out of this too..

KS

ford engine= way more work and no near as good of fit. Theres no disappointment here this is the most fun DD i have ever drove i have too many cars and projects and i need to pay for school. if i wasn't going to school this thing would get twin hairdryers this winter

They do this because they can push the same numbers with better fuel econ.. And what else do they fi? Besides the Lighting and Cobra.. Leaving the new EcoBoost out of this too..

Better fuel economy, I've had several fords and gm products and the fords always get :q:q:q:q for fuel economy(as in less then the EPA rating) and my GMs got consistently better then EPA rating so unless adding a supercharger improves ford mocos engines fuel efficiency(I've never owned a supercharged vehicle from any brand) I call BS on that.

So to level the playing field you want to leave players out, you'd win any argument that way.
I do think the new ecoBoost in a good idea because the lack of turbo lag it makes a great replacement for larger displacement engine.

ford engine= way more work and no near as good of fit. Theres no disappointment here this is the most fun DD i have ever drove i have too many cars and projects and i need to pay for school.

There you go, straight from the only person here that can talk from experience.

Maybe this has been asked, but what prompted this swap, did the old engine take a dump?

So from what I gather everything works except the stock gauge cluster which is why you have those aftermarket gauges that seem to be working good. Let me think of what else might not work. I ask because these are question people who are actually interested in buying will want to know.

-Does the seat and steering wheel still motor back and forth when the ignition key is inserted and removed?

YES

-Does the traction control work at all? On my LS the ABS applies the brakes to the spinning tire and if that's not enough it pulls back the engine power. I'm guessing that only the ABS power might still work which leads me to my other question:
-Does the ABS work?

NO i always hated abs i had no intentions on keeping it

-Is the E-fan automatic? How'd you set it up? Is there a manual override?

YES its auto and is controlled by the GM ecu

- Where did you put the ECU?

the ecu is on the passenger side under the cabin air inlet

-Does the engine have enough low end power to use 6th gear? I ask because with a 0.5 overdrive the engine revs would be very low with the stock 3.07 rear end.

its to low in town but perfect for the highway 50mph +

-Thanks.

-Also I think it's a good looking swap, I would only change the intake to look cleaner.

The intake is stock GTO i tried to use as many stock parts as i could to make ot look more factory.

EDIT: What year/model car did this engine/transmission come out of? Is there a check engine light that works for the LS1 ECU?

there is a light for the GM ECU that works

Better fuel economy, I've had several fords and gm products and the fords always get :q:q:q:q for fuel economy(as in less then the EPA rating) and my GMs got consistently better then EPA rating so unless adding a supercharger improves ford mocos engines fuel efficiency(I've never owned a supercharged vehicle from any brand) I call BS on that..

Well I was just speaking with my experience.. It seems our experiences are totally opposite.. I've always gotten better mileage with fmc then gm.. My LS (If I'm easy on it) has proved that it can get 26-28.. And that is well over the EPA..

My step-dads silverado could barely squeeze 19 (EPA rating is 20).. It was always lower.. I know I'm comparing a truck to a car here but it is an example.. He even has a tonneau cover which is 'suppose' to give better mpgs.

Mind you these were both on the highway and I had a far lead.. So drag wasn't an issue..

Well I was just speaking with my experience.. It seems our experiences are totally opposite.. I've always gotten better mileage with fmc then gm.. My LS (If I'm easy on it) has proved that it can get 26-28.. And that is well over the EPA..

My step-dads silverado could barely squeeze 19 (EPA rating is 20).. It was always lower.. I know I'm comparing a truck to a car here but it is an example.. He even has a tonneau cover which is 'suppose' to give better mpgs.

Mind you these were both on the highway and I had a far lead.. So drag wasn't an issue..

Perhaps GM has spend more time tuning for sh1tty California gas as the farmers here often average 17-18 combined in the new 07+ silverados. and about 13 in the 04-08 fords and 16 with the 09+ f-150 with the 6 speeds.

Best I have had in my LS is 24.5 with average about 24. It's pretty consistent no matter how I drive it and yes I always use 91 gas. My 92' Town car would return about the same fuel economy but was rated for 26.

I know two people with 07' mustangs, both 5 speeds one v6 one gt and neither can get the rated HWY ratings. The GT returns 18 average, and 20-24 for the v6.

In the past I've had a 96' monte carlo, returned 29 almost all the time. My GMC S15 4x4 v6 would return 17-19 depending on how I drove it(about 13 in low range in the snow) which is slightly less then HWY. I never kept track of what my 79' blazer did but when I bought it back from my uncle he claimed it returned 15MPG, not bad for a 350/th350 lifted K5(I don't know the EPA numbers for the K5).

I have an 06' Fusion i4 That returns 24 when the wife drives it, 29 when I do(go figure) with a best of 35MPG HWY trip when It was almost new. It doesn't do as well as when it was brand new. A recent trip of 800 miles HWY returned 30 with a HWY rated 32.

I've also had an old volvo, 19-20, was less then the rated HWY, and a 03' eclipse spyder v6 MTX that return 29 average, with a 31 HWY best and a EPA rated 28 HWY.

Members online

No members online now.
Back