lincoln ls1 build pics

Perhaps GM has spend more time tuning for sh1tty California gas as the farmers here often average 17-18 combined in the new 07+ silverados. and about 13 in the 04-08 fords and 16 with the 09+ f-150 with the 6 speeds.

Best I have had in my LS is 24.5 with average about 24. It's pretty consistent no matter how I drive it and yes I always use 91 gas. My 92' Town car would return about the same fuel economy but was rated for 26..

May be so.. I'm not going to argue on our experiences though.. I will say that I ran 93 and he was running 87..

The comment about the better fuel econ on a fi vehicle is common sense.. BB compared to a SB will get better fuel econ hands down.. Of course.. When driving down the hwy, your building a small amount of boost therefore not requiring as much fuel.. But a BB always requires that large amount of fuel.

I know you know all of this so there is no need to go in depth.. That's why I made the comment.. I understand that it is an awe factor to have a BB, but I would rather prefer the econ of a FI SB.. Imo of course..

I know you know all of this so there is no need to go in depth.. That's why I made the comment.. I understand that it is an awe factor to have a BB, but I would rather prefer the econ of a FI SB.. Imo of course..

Right, also depends on where you want your power.

Also, Being the engine is from the same year vehicle and same weight class and it's a passenger car in both cases it should be able to be smogged and registered in california as long as the engine still has all it's original smog equipment as it would have been equipped in california. Most smog refs don't look to far into it as long as it looks like the factory stiff hasn't been messed with.

Question for Lincoln LSX, does you Lincoln Have cats and pre/post cat O2 sensors?

Last edited:
Nice work, lincolnlsx. Glad to see SOMEONE actually performed a successful engine swap. Nothing but tire kickers around here when it comes to swapping the engine.

I'll take it for 5K :D

I guess I'd need an explanation of how it's simpler to swap the chib into the Lincoln than it is to put in the AJ27. I'm sure there's a post around here somewhere with the statement that the poster has it down to 4-5 hours. For the rest of it, we're just running around in circles. My wife's Fusion gets 34 on a published claim of 32. When my LS was new it got 26+. My Last trip back to Detroit from Chicago, with 130K+ on the clock, it still got 26 and a little bit. To a significant extent, it depends on how heavy your foot is. I do most of my driving in the Metro Detroit area.

Since this a Lincoln V Cadillac forum, I feel it's a little demeaning to talk about chibrolays. Some of you guys are in the wrong forum.;)

KS

My dad has a 2001 Monte Carlo SS that averages over 30 MPG. The thing is on its 3rd intake manifold, second set of wheen bearings, third computer, etc with 140K. Stupid thing still gets over 30MPG. My brother has the exact same car (2003 Buick something), same engine and averages 28MPG. My LS averages 25MPG and is smaller than either of those 2 cars. I will however kill either of those cars in any kind of race that involved acceleration, braking, handeling, or intake manifold durability.

I guess I'd need an explanation of how it's simpler to swap the chib into the Lincoln than it is to put in the AJ27.

Getting the 6 speed manual to bolt to it and everything working properly. This is assuming you're using a gen1 LS because the AJ27 doesn't have VVT. If you didn't do the manual then it would be getting the LS computer it shift the transmission from the jag(usually a 6 speed) or getting the 5 speed from the LS to shift well and reliable handle the extra torque(probably rebuilt it).

SCT claimed full tuning ability on the supercharged v6 fusion too but they are still having trouble getting it tuned right. Just because they say they can do it doesn't mean they can do it well.

Last edited:
Misconceptions

Getting the 6 speed manual to bolt to it and everything working properly. This is assuming you're using a gen1 LS because the AJ27 doesn't have VVT. If you didn't do the manual then it would be getting the LS computer it shift the transmission from the jag(usually a 6 speed) or getting the 5 speed from the LS to shift well and reliable handle the extra torque(probably rebuilt it).

Gee, the AJ27 out in the garage has VVT and one of the changes I'm going to make is to use a pair of non-VVT heads (and plug the oil feeds) to eliminate the complexity. The blower Jag, the blower Land Rover, and the blower Aston Martin don't use VVT, finding it unnecessary since the supercharging adds so much torque. The original R55N trans bolts up to the AJ27 block and with modifications seems to be capable of living with 1K+ of HP and torque. This isn't a drag car. Hard starts are unnecessary.

SCT claimed full tuning ability on the supercharged v6 fusion too but they are still having trouble getting it tuned right. Just because they say they can do it doesn't mean they can do it well.

SCT has had ten plus years to 'science out' the way to do all the necessary changes for the Lincoln LS package. I have no doubt that I'll be able to get things done properly.:)

KS

Gee, the AJ27 out in the garage has VVT and one of the changes I'm going to make is to use a pair of non-VVT heads (and plug the oil feeds) to eliminate the complexity. The blower Jag, the blower Land Rover, and the blower Aston Martin don't use VVT, finding it unnecessary since the supercharging adds so much torque. The original R55N trans bolts up to the AJ27 block and with modifications seems to be capable of living with 1K+ of HP and torque. This isn't a drag car. Hard starts are unnecessary.

Cam, I have the utmost respect for you want what you're doing with your car. I look forward to reading more as you progress with your project.

BUT, I think you should read your "Land Speed LS" Tread again as you explain to other the complexity behind such a feat.

You "bastardized" that engine with HONDA(albeit custom) Rods. You state that you must order parts from ENGLAND for a ford motor? Don't feel bad, I had to order my flywheel from England for my LS but I don't feel bad for doing it.

You even quote parts list that's close to over $7k for an incomplete engine. Not to mention that you are going to have to go through your transmission.

Am I wrong here? It seems if you did you project and started with an LS1 long block you'd be done years ago and have saved thousands. :)

Class Racing

Am I wrong here? It seems if you did you project and started with an LS1 long block you'd be done years ago and have saved thousands. :)

Such things as the rods are pure aftermarket, and we had to start with blank forgings. Although they fit a crankpin within the size range that includes some Honda engines---as well as some other engines---my rods are too large, physically, to fit in a Honda. They're the only rods just like that which exist. The bearings simply come from the Federal Mogul race program and have no automobile brand on them---just the size.

The factory parts chain in this country is set up so that in order to get main bearings for a 3.9 V-8, you simply buy the block and it comes with the main bearings in it. It's possible, however, to get Vandervell/Mahle mains that fit the entire AJ line of engines. That's what I've done.

I own the National Record for one mile land speed racing in class E/F CC. That's 'E' Fuel Competition Coupe and Sedan. 'E' class requires an engine of no more than 4.2 litres. The engine I'm putting together is 4 litres. I choose to stay with an engine of the same design as came in the car originally. It's my intention to have an engine that can be safely turned to 9000 RPM if necessary. Even if I were so inclined, your LS chib would not do the job. Thanks for your kind words.:)

KS

Last edited:
'E' class requires an engine of no more than 4.2 litres. The engine I'm putting together is 4 litres... ...It's my intention to have an engine that can be safely turned to 9000 RPM if necessary. Even if I were so inclined, your LS chib would not do the job. Thanks for your kind words.:)

KS

Yes, the 5.7l LS1 is much to large for the 'E' class, but if staying in such a class was not a requirement, then things would change(price and simplicity wise).

You plan to spin 9000 RPMs and use twin turbos?!! At those RPMs you need to be careful of blowing the transmission and/or torque converter. I think selection in these parts will be just as important as the engine internals.

It's my intention to have an engine that can be safely turned to 9000 RPM if necessary.

You plan to spin 9000 RPMs and use twin turbos?!! At those RPMs you need to be careful of blowing the transmission and/or torque converter. I think selection in these parts will be just as important as the engine internals.

Just thought I would point that out.. ;)

An Extra Margin OF Strength

When driving for Land Speed Racing, it's usual to 'drive it out the back door'. You have a whole mile to stop, if necessary, and a 'chute begins to be very helpful at around 150 MPH. Everything in the powertrain is, or will be, beefed for what I intend to do. I'd just as soon never turn it over 7K, but one of the ways to be safe is to build in a broad safety margin. And I don't want to have to let off or over-rev.

Although I'm using a Moldex-prepped crank, I may yet have them make me a billet piece for it's extra strength.

We're havin' fun!!

(If I were to go back to a pushrod engine, it would be a Ford-design piece. Running in a Blown Fuel class it should be entirely possible to get 2.5K HP. But actually, this car is for learning. The serious car will have a 600 inch twin turbo SOHC FE engine in it. Jim Dove is working on some of the pieces already, and that project probably won't get started in earnest until next fall.)
KS

Sweet. Lsx swap are like having sex with a hot ass chick in a port-a-potty. Just wrong place for sex. Nonetheless badass swap. There was a swap done to on a 95 tbird that a guy did for bout 3 grand total. Less cost for more power then a dohc. Um ill take a lsx. I still wanna do a lsx in my mark. And there is a little more room under the hood.

I see swaps like these all around the world!! Like Nissan 240s running 2jz engines, like rx-7s running sr20 engines, like miatas on Ford 302s.
These are called transvestites. This is the perfect example, this looks like a cool LS.. but watch!! Its not. Same as when you see a hot n sexy woman which from far u can see thick legs and big boobs wearing very sexy clothes and looks like a bomb woman.. but watch!! Its not.
The difference here is that some of us share a passion for either Ford or Chevy, but some others have not such passion. To me a Chevy powered Ford is just not acceptable. For others it may be w.e.
To me it would have made a lot more sense to just trade the not running LS for a non runninh Chevy with a blown LS1 instead of going through such a headache, to just end up with a he-she.
BTW, Ford just won the last GT1 race so Im happy lol. Btw, long time since the vettes make it to the top in GT1.

Cammerfe may I direct you to this......
Stock GM LS Engine - Big Bang Theory - Hot Rod Magazine

The LS is the broadest and most swapped engine in the world. Very hard to argue with the performance also.

Yeah sbf have there percs but the ls is more desirable for the simple fact of the aftermarket selection and power handling.

The sentence that comes before the period will always be..... This is gunna be a disagreement till the end of time. They are two good brands it's just whatever you prefer..

Members online

No members online now.
Back