How To Fix a Broken Seatback

jcharb

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
K so here it is... you go to the hardware store and buy two 1" L brackets, probably around 50 cents for each seatback that's broken. Now i'm assuming that you broke the tabs off the same way that i did, so you take some coarse sandpaper, and smooth the rest of the top of the bracket on the seat back so the L bracket sits flush with it, then rough up one of the sides of the L bracket. i temporarily mounted the L brackets with a small screw so i could trial fit it, when it sits the way you want it, mix up some two part epoxy glue and apply it to the top of the plastic tab, then screw the L bracket back on the top. The screw will now also hold it in place till the glue sets, and will add a little support after. After the epoxy has reached full strengh, approx 24 hrs, reinstall the seat back. You could also wrap the top of the L bracket with electrical tape or something similar, just so it doesn't rub on the metal seat frame and squeak

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

just make sure you epoxy glue them to it, that's where you'll get most of the strength.. Let me know how it works out for ya. :)

Well, the hot Austin weather finally made mine fail today. Drivers side is probably next. This is an excellent write-up and I'll try this tonight. Thanks! (I know this is an old thread but at least I searched) ;)

Yea I fixed mine like this as well. But it still doesn't look right :[

Both my bottom tabs are broken as well so I have it ghetto-wired up behind the panel and it hangs out about an inch on the very bottom still... Sucks so hard :[

Yea I fixed mine like this as well. But it still doesn't look right :[

Both my bottom tabs are broken as well so I have it ghetto-wired up behind the panel and it hangs out about an inch on the very bottom still... Sucks so hard :[

If it doesn't look good I'll buy another I suppose.

I dont think you can buy them without paying something retarded

Got mine all fixed up today. This is a great fix for anyone with this problem. Hopefully my drivers side doesn't fail...

goodness, im glad i found this thread. this :q:q:q:q just popped up on me today

Now why didn't I think of that!!?? Too simple. I have been farting around with this for several months trying just epoxy, wire re-enforcements flexible sheets over the expoxy... Too much thinking too far outside the box.

Duh, a screw won't just crack off like epoxy.

Thanks for the clue.

This fix is gonna happen this weekend.

Jim Henderson

Yah this happened to me tooo. Im going to try this fix...i went to the dealership and he wanted 180 for a new part....

good thing mine hasn't broken yet...then again I got no kid...though some blood is still embedded into the seatback......thanks to one of my roommate's friend.....idiot he is!

Hey so i actually got around to fixing this today, and i found a better alternative! Nothing drastic either!

What you do is on one of the broken tabs, drill a whole down through it. Now Get 1 or 2 zip ties and get it around the metal bracket inside the seat and then through the drilled hole. Pull up on the zip ties til the seat back closes and then wala! no more broken seat back!!!!

Bottom Tabs

Any tips getting the bottom hooked up?

I replaced the top plastic tabs with metal L(s) and tape like the OP but I can't seem to get the bottom tabs to hook up... :eek:

Is there a special tool to pull the plastic tabs out and re insert?

I may have to resort to some zip ties. :(

When I replaced my set backs it did take some pressure to seat the bottoms. I sat in the back seat and used my foot to push in the bottom.

Hey so i actually got around to fixing this today, and i found a better alternative! Nothing drastic either!

What you do is on one of the broken tabs, drill a whole down through it. Now Get 1 or 2 zip ties and get it around the metal bracket inside the seat and then through the drilled hole. Pull up on the zip ties til the seat back closes and then wala! no more broken seat back!!!!

am I the only one not understanding this fix and how to pull zipties that are located inside the seat?

Well since i did the write up, i'll chime in on this one, since i did the fix back in 08 it is still holding up and you still can't even tell it has been fixed :).. Although for those who don't know there is a special tool to pull out the clips at the bottom they are supposed to slide into the slots in the seatback before you reinstall it, they just push into the designated holes in the bottom of the seat, hope this has been helping anyone who had the issue i did and any questions just ask, i'll be happy to help, thanks

Well since i did the write up, i'll chime in on this one, since i did the fix back in 08 it is still holding up and you still can't even tell it has been fixed :).. Although for those who don't know there is a special tool to pull out the clips at the bottom they are supposed to slide into the slots in the seatback before you reinstall it, they just push into the designated holes in the bottom of the seat, hope this has been helping anyone who had the issue i did and any questions just ask, i'll be happy to help, thanks

Thanks for the write up! :)

What the name of the tool? I was thinking trim tool or something like that but google only gave me stuff about boats! haahaa

Could I pick it up from Canadian Tire or NAPA?

Thanks! :D

Here is the tool you need, it varies depending on where u buy it from, i think u can get it from canadian tire or napa. You can also get one from Princess Auto if you have one around, it slides behind the push clip and lifts it up, you can also probably make one if your handy enough.

pp-wst05.jpg

Members online

Back