Drooool

Ok well do you mind sharing where you get these facts stating that a tune is better than the tci streetfighter for the lincoln ls?

it all depends on what you value for your money right?

With your TC upgrade you will not improve hp/torque on a dyno - but see improvement getting up to TC lock. you should see about 0.4 sec improvement in your 1/4 mile time. not bad. that is what the testing on a stock mustang saw http://www.stangtv.com/forum/speed-up-your-s197-tci-streetfighter-5113.html# the torque curve is more aggressive than the LS - but it'll be close - right? (same trannie nearly the same weight)

roughly $450 for the TC plus install + fluids. Your install was free - but most will have to pay a few $100.

The SCT should net about 18.7rwhp and 19lbs/ft - plus:
- remove your rev limiter and speed limiter (depends on model)
- firm up shifts
- change and maximize your shift points
- allow datalogging for future / more detailed tuning (many sensors to log)
- offer realtime display of these parameters
- integrates external sensors into datastream - like wideband O2, map, ..etc
- can read and clear CEL engine codes

for $399 - 10mins to install

again - similar to the header thread. Are there gains - sure. Worth the money - depends. I'm sure you agree that it will have more value as you further modify your car - as a heavier torque curve will multiply the benefits. So on a stock LS - 0.4 sec ain't bad (about 3 car lengths), depends what you end up paying for it.

Everybody gets so caught up in HP. If you can better use given hp, making your car faster, that's what's more important to me.

HP to me seems more like a bragging right. Just looks good on paper.

AS long as you are making the car faster, who cares if it adds hp? I mean, it's not like you're dumping weight and turning the car into a tin can.

I agree that the SCT is way more involved, but that 399 does not include datalogging, and refining tunes. You would need to spend the 349 on the SCT software, and learn to tune, or pay a tuner to look at the datalogs, and refine the tune accordingly. Not saying that the 399 is not a great price, but some of the stuff you listed does include extra investment amounts that aren't listed. And any other items, like wideband O2 sensors, are not included in that 399 investment. Datalogging also takes time. As does installing the wideband O2 sensors, or setting up software, etc.

I would really like to see an SCT tuned LS vs. a higher TC'd LS, and see which is faster. We should probably just wait for that to happen before the argument of "which is better" takes place.

I never said one was better. I just said that the TC is a good competitor for the SCT tune. And I'm getting one :)

TC + SCT = :D

Pete - datalogging does come with the standard device. And it is useful, even without being able to retune the car. I use it constantly to see if thing I do to the car improve it - not always used just to retune.

My point was, and clearely stated, that the device allow integration of these external sensors into one datalog stream - which is very useful. Trying to match the output from three different controllers and sync there timestamps is very difficult - not to mention trying to log three different systems at the same time.

As I said, the TC will have even more benefit as he improves the car's output - which he cannot likely do without the SCT anyway - so the point is moot unless he stops now.

Ah. I need to figure out how to set it up. KK was going to give me some pointers. He told me it's a little involved setting it up, but the datalogging itself is simple.

I run vista though, have they worked out the kinks with it?

PETE!!! AWAY WITH THAT VISTA CRAP. Get the Windows 7 Release Client and install it! its FRAY (FREE)!!!

Dude, I know so little about computers it's scary.

I didn't even know there was something else out.

Figured I'd add my $.02. Stainlessworks headers on a Thunderbird. There ya go.:cool:

PICT0016.JPG

Headers are best with a new tune for them. IMO a tune is a MUST have with headers.

The x brace must be because it's a convertible.

What would you change in the tune for headers?

Headers can mess with the A/F ratio. This varies from engine to engine and header to header but I'd rather be safe and enjoy the benefits of the tune with headers. I've header of a few people that had to pull a little timing to prevent pinging, they still said it was worth it for the power gain of the headers

I've read it before on here multiple times. On that thread where the guy put headers on his white gen1 and broke something later on cause of it. Someone said it was cause he didn't have a tune for it.

Originally Posted by Quik LS
Headers can effect the about of air and gas that goes into the intake?

really?

Sarcasm? :confused:

can you find the thread? how can the exhaust system change the afr in the intake?

I have never heard of that, so I would like to learn about it.

It changes the scavenging effect, which does change out much air/fuel can enter the combustion chamber. Also with a larger diameter pipe where the O2 sensor is changes the sample size.

Never mind. It was a customs cams not headers. Been a while since I read it. Sorry.Ignore my previous post :slam......I have read people saying you need a tune for headers though, dont know why

Members online

No members online now.
Back