I can't believe I am actually torn between a 98 Mark VIII and a 98 Taurus SHO.

Bouncer88

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I have driven both cars and I love them both, I am starting to get pissed at myself for how much my brain travels over the course of a day.

reliablity, mark VIII all the way...that more powerful as well
unless the cams have been welded on teh SHO i would run, and keep running

I've heard some bad things about the taurus cams coming apart

the camshaft gears are held on with non welded keys. over time and higher revs they can (and a LOT of them have) gotten loose causing the cam gear to turn on the camshaft throwing the engine out of timing which causes the engine to basically commit suicide. best bet if you decide on the sho is to have them welded. there is a list of guys around the nation who do it and have done many of them on v8sho.com

here's a picture of a cam that almost failed on one:
Rear-Back-Cam.gif

I know all about the cam problem I know all about the car. North East SHO is only 15 minutes from my house and they would also be fixing the trans problem by swapping in a 5 speed mtx tranny for me since they have a kit available.

They also do the cam welding service.

In the end the SHO is still a Taurus.......not something to brag about.

I understand you're logic here I say the same thing about the SRT-4s but then I realized they are different.

You can't tell me this isn't one sweet ford.

2dre9av.jpg

24yn0xl.jpg

There was actually an involved debate in your mind as to which car to choose? Come on guy.... Mark Viii all the way :)

... If it was Mark Viii vs. something like a Cobra or whatever then I could see it...

SHO or not... it's still a Taurus, err "Tortoise"... lol

Maybe I will just buy both! :D

I could so see myself doing that.

Both these cars are cheap enough where could I easily do that.

Maybe I will just buy both! :D

I could so see myself doing that.

Both these cars are cheap enough where could I easily do that.

We have a winner!

if they are cheap... go for it!

I mean... one can not have enough cars... :D

We have a winner!

if they are cheap... go for it!

I mean... one can not have enough cars... :D

I have a thread in the general discussion session anyway about wanting to collect odd lincoln/ford/mercury vehicle .

The mark VIII and the sho are both on the list.

Then I need to find me a King Cobra II Stang and an SVO stang like my old one.

I quite like the Taurus' - not a good car by any means, but certainly interesting and different! (the old shapes remind me of Robocop and the 'ovalish' shape reminds me of The Truman show - good films! :D)

That black one you linked looks nice.

I quite like the Taurus' - not a good car by any means, but certainly interesting and different! (the old shapes remind me of Robocop and the 'ovalish' shape reminds me of the Truman show - good films! :D)

That black one you linked looks nice.

I have owned an 01 Taurus and it was nothing but good to me, except for the transmission. I replaced the transmission twice. Everything else on the car took the beatings I gave it like a tank.

The SHO is great.... but the parts are being coming exceptionally difficult to get since Ford doesn't support the car anymore. It can be extremely expensive to own.

From a driving enthusiast standpoint, I'd actually recommend one of the earlier SHOs with the 5 speed.

Ultimately, the VIII is faster and a hell of a lot more reliable, and easier to repair.

I actually liked the V-8 SHO but they have virtually no aftermarket support and as mentioned, parts are scarce. If you can swing it then both would be a good idea but if only one then the Mark would be (and was) my choice. If I had both I would alternate between the two every week.

The V8 SHO wasn't any faster than the V6 SHO-
plus they didn't sell it with the 5speed.
But they both have Yamaha engines that aren't supported by Ford anymore.

one thing i like about our 97 Taurus is the chassis is very stout, compared to the mark its like a solid block of titanium.

front wheel drive nice for snow,

other than that rear wheel drive and more power, the sho is heavy for the amount of torque that little v8 makes,
that v8 never made the power it should have, the six almost matched it and weighed less.

the black one looks nice,i say get both if you can!

Members online

No members online now.
Back