F@cked

Really doesn't look that bad. Mine is a Northern car too and has some rust underneath, but nothing structural.

Get another assessment and look yourself.

If and when you are happy, see about doing what Im doing now - remove as much rust as possible, POR-15 the underside, spray rust arresting wax into cavities, replace all rusty braces, fuel and brake lines, oil pan etc. with good pieces etc.

Really doesn't look that bad. Mine is a Northern car too and has some rust underneath, but nothing structural.

Get another assessment and look yourself.

If and when you are happy, see about doing what Im doing now - remove as much rust as possible, POR-15 the underside, spray rust arresting wax into cavities, replace all rusty braces, fuel and brake lines, oil pan etc. with good pieces etc.

I was already planning on someting like that. Get the car up in the air and crawl under it for a week and take care of as much as I can. Re bend new brake lines and attack any and all 'surface' rust.

It has a tentative appointment with one of the best body shops in boston - Stadium Auto Body and Brighton - at around 8am if they have a lift available.
http://www.stadiumauto.com/index.htm

Unbelievable work comes out of this place.

That's another thing, says the oil pan is about to rot away. LOL.

How hard is that to replace? or even find? I'll go read that other thread on the oil pan.

The oil pan I can believe....

Its a pain, engine has to come up or k-member support has to come down. Not fun.

Contact jamie97lsc - he may still have a rust free one.

I just picked up a rust free pan, a spare wheel support brace, those two braces that go between the rear subframe and the chassis and the brace that goes under the exhaust. He has alot of rust free stuff.

I haven't changed my pan yet. (been busy with other things)

Whilst doing that, I'd strongly advise you to replace your oil filter adapter gasket. When I do mine, will get a new oil pan gasket too.

I would get your mind out of doom and gloom mode... the car is way too clean otherwise and will probably just need a little TLC... POR15 is the :q:q:q:q, it will seal up rust real good.

You guys are making me sound like a whiney little :q :q :q :q :q !!!:D

The car runs damn nice, exhaust sounds beatuiful, moves like a bat out of hell, pretty damn quiet, needs air and brakes. 13yo car.:Bang

Last edited:
Too much $ but I want a 96 LSC black and was tired of the black interior so I fell in love - look at the damn thing! Not bad for 77k miles - My New England Thunderbird lasted me from 65k miles through 13 years through new england winters and up to 178k miles with a perfect frame so the fact that it came from the northeast doesn't matter. My 95 VIII White/Black with 107k miles had a beautiful yet rust colored frame and the same with my 95K miles 98 LSC Black/black.
It must have sat on dirt or grass.

The part that truly sux is that they say I shouldn't drive it - thats all I want to do. Not sure if this is true or not yet so i'm keeping my fingers crossed through the 2nd/3rd opinion.

If the frame is bad then I will return the parts to Max, sell the rims and tires, wing and cover.
I'll keep the spyder extreme, ASHAM8 and visors for the next one.

Jeff, was this Jim's Mark from here in NJ?

I have seen FAR worse rust then that man, WAYY worse and the cars are still on the road.

Johnny Nocera's was the worst I ever saw and it ran and drove fine and is still on the road I believe.

Here is shot of his rear.

johnsrear.jpg

johnsrear2.jpg

This is encouraging, but the potential words 'uniframe splitting' have me concerned - ya know!
Thanks for your input.

Here is shot of his rear.

I'll be snapping some pics tomorrow when it's up on the lift too. I looked underneath mine and it kinda freaked me out a bit, and the brake lines... I think mine looks worse.
I'm gonna go pull it up on the sidewalk curb w/ 2 tires to lift it and crawl under and snap a few now.

I agree with everyone else - it doesn't appear to be THAT bad. You should see my 94 winter "beater"... its almost scary. Yet it still runs and drives fine. Although I would also be extremely pissed and scared if I were in your spot too.

Watchout Jeff for the ole' bodyshop trip. I can hear it now "Yeah man you should replace this, replace that"...etc. There hurtin' for work in this economy and they will do anything to get you to agree with them because they are "professionals" LOL!

This is encouraging, but the potential words 'uniframe splitting' have me concerned - ya know!
Thanks for your input.

It would for me too.
But if it was in that kind of shape Geno would have seen it.
That aint gonna happen sitting over the winter.
Take it to a 2nd shop have them look.

LMAO, your crying over that? You should see under my truck. Whole thing is surface rust, panit falling off. Still solid as hell, 10 years old. Just do like I do every year. Power wash the loose stuff off and paint it. If it were bad you would have holes rusted thru somewhere under their. Looks like a clean car IMHO.

You gentlemen could very well be right. I am holding judgement but asking for advise. The place I am taking it to tomorrow is strictly collission repair and stopped short of all out refusing to do my spoiler as they are too busy. And I didn't push it. But they will look into this issue for me as they are great people (hopefully - but I know the family. LOL). So like I said i'll take it for a third oppinion. first is Geno's who said it is clean, then my guy who brought it his guys place because the rust alarmed him when he got under it. Tomorrow another and if need be yet another.
I just snapped a few pics with my city jack system here at work - it doesn't look too bad to me either but it's kinda hard seeing it without being lifted and with a crappy cell.

IMG00136-20090415-1854.jpg

IMG00137-20090415-1855.jpg

IMG00138-20090415-1855.jpg

IMG00139-20090415-1855.jpg

IMG00140-20090415-1856.jpg

IMG00141-20090415-1856.jpg

IMG00142-20090415-1857.jpg

IMG00143-20090415-1857.jpg

IMG00144-20090415-1857.jpg

IMG00145-20090415-1858.jpg

IMG00146-20090415-1858.jpg

IMG00147-20090415-1859.jpg

IMG00148-20090415-1859.jpg

IMG00149-20090415-1900.jpg

IMG00150-20090415-1900.jpg

IMG00151-20090415-1900.jpg

IMG00152-20090415-1901.jpg

IMG00153-20090415-1901.jpg

IMG00157-20090415-1905.jpg

IMG00159-20090415-1906.jpg

To me it really does not look that bad mostly looks like surface rust. I would just get it on a lift and pressure wash the heck out of it and just hope for the best. Good luck.

dude i lived in mass for 27 years, i started tearing marks apart in 1999, and did northern marks till 2003, that is nothing, absolutely nothing to be worried about at all, it just looks bad, its all surface cancer, as far as your unibody splitting lmao, stop going to get the car checked out, people ar gonna say some funny shyt to you because they need income right now, everyone is hurting, the only thing that is going to split your unibody is getting hit by a train, get that out of your head, its not gonna happen. your car looks brand new compared to the marks i used to take apart in new england. granted you have way too much money into it between upgrades and the actual price you paid, but none the less the car is fine. just pretend you never saw the underside of the car and block it all out, you are good to go man.

Members online

No members online now.
Back