Just another Mark VIII charging system story...

on my 95 when its night time and the car is at idle the battery light is on but its dim. the moment I hit the gas either in park or when driving the light goes off. I hit system check no problem with voltage. I took out my dvom and it said when car was idle 13.7 when I know it should be higher so I will check if it that fuse good thing this thread was bumped thanks.

When the 1 year old alt on my car died when I first got it, it took out the 1 yr old battery as well. The battery tested borderline ok after, but would not hold a charge after so I replaced it at the same time...
I'm not to fond of Motorcraft batteries (although I did get another), but I'd definately stick with an OEM alternator.

Also check the connectors to the alt as well to see if they are degrading or loose, same with all the battery/ground connections...

If you put a reman alternator on your car, it's very likely you will be putting another one on in a very short time.

In my case, on my first gen.. I had a lifetime warranty Orielly's Auto Parts Alternator.
They would die just about 1 year later, TO THE DAY.

I just swapped them in oreilly's parking lot and give them a SMOKING HOT alternator. I tell them everytime "becareful it's hot" and the dumbasses reach down and grab it EVERYTIME.
(lol)

Changing the Alternator is a 10 minute job, pulling the belt is the hardest part.

you have two choices, get a NEW motorcraft Alternator.. or go buy a "second reman alternator" and chunk it in the trunk for a spare.

I got my reman from Max :)
No problems.
If you dont go PA go to Max for a reman.
You will do better off then any abz auto part joint.

I bought one of those voltage monitors that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket. $16 at Amazon.

410P7ZJHZVL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

...or go buy a "second reman alternator" and chunk it in the trunk for a spare.
That's what I've done. Thankfully, I haven't needed it yet.

dang it...I cant get past takin off the stupid belt.....crap.....it's as obvious as it looks right, there is a gap in the bracket that holds the pully tight, I pull it counter clock wise if standing in front of the alt correct..?.....gerrrrrr...lol got it

I bought a 200 amp alternator on ebay from this seller;

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=dbelectrical

it was around $200, and I bought a new battery-it solved my alternator problems (hopefully forever) but I did get my old alternator rebuilt and it is on the shelf, ready to go into service at a moments notice:D

After 6+ years of Mark ownership (2 different cars) I know these were not meant to be everyday drivers:eek:

Look at the belt tensioner arm {passenger side of the engine}

there is a 1/2 square hole that just so happens to fit nicely with a 1/2 drive ratchet.

when you attach the ratchet handle TO the tensioner arm you push the ratchet handle towards the drivers side of the car to release the tension on the belt.

you are correct.. the belt removal is the hardest part of the job

Whawooooooo!!!!! Driller you are a good teacher - thanks XLRVIII! The silly little connector thing to something was in my way not letting me pull the tensioner back far enough - but got it off - got it on, now to return the old one ;) oh yeah....and find my hands under all this wonderful grime!!!!!

I love you guys!!!

SMOOCHES!!!!

I bought one of those voltage monitors that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket. $16 at Amazon.

410P7ZJHZVL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

friend of mine bought exacty that item.. disassembled it.. wired it to the backside of the lighter and put the display where his traction control button "isnt".. {his car doesnt have TC)

that would be interesting to see - next time your in there ask him if it's ok if you share and take a pic to post, Id like to see.... hehhe whats new! lol

mmtphoto - I will remember that , my 95 is wanting another alt too, I will take the reman in my 96 put it in her and get the better alt for my 96...(shhhhh...dont tell her, the 95!)

MsM8

with the 200 amp they recommend you install a 4 gauge wire and run it from the alternator post to the + post on the battery- When I ordered mine, it took about a week to get it because they do the rebuild after the purchase, so if you are in a hurry, figure on that.

There is no core charge, so the one I took off got rebuilt by a guy here locally, and it was upgraded also, cost me $73 and sits on a shelf in my garage, ready to go when needed. Lincolns need spare parts. siblings get jealous.

While attending Ray's funeral services, two Mark VIIIs were in attendance... and you know with two Mark VIIIs, there HAS to be an incident. ;)

The wife and I had brought the '96, waking it from it's winter slumber in the driveway. In preparation, I packed the toolbox and jump-box "just-in-case" the winter weather had any suprises in store.

MsM8tress had brought "Tux", her '96, and had just replaced the alternator in the last couple days.

Anyone see where this story is obviously going? :D

Before we departed for home, her battery light had come on. I offered for her to follow me to I-70, where she would go west and I would continue south. Sure enough, a very few miles later, her car conked out and we pulled off the shoulder of the busy 6 lane expressway.

I had neglected to bring my volt meter with the tool box, but a quick hook-up of the jump-box confirmed the alternator was not charging. After a few phone calls while waiting on a AAA tow truck, we had located an alternator at a NAPA store back where we came from. After the DOT truck stopped and put out some flares, the tow truck finally arrived. We elected to have her car towed to the NAPA store where I offered to change out the alternator. NAPA wasn't thrilled having someone working on a car in their parking lot, but after a few minutes, car was running, no battery light and MsM8tress was elated. Off we go to the gas station a couple hundred yards away before heading down the highway once again. :)

Now, I was worried she would turn the car off at the pump. To her credit, she left it idle while refueling. But Tux stalled and died pulling away from the pump! Battery light was on again! A quick jump and back to the NAPA store we go. Well, almost. LOL :D

Tux had run out of juice once again in the left turn lane in front of NAPA. :(

Again I hooked up the jump box. I told her we were going to 'do it NASCAR style' and I would signal her to start the car, disconnect the jump box and close the hood and she could dart across to the parking lot. Watching for a break in traffic, I cued her to start 'er up and I disconnected the jump box, closed the hood, and stepped back as Tux darts across the street into the parking lot... and stalled again.

The friendly NAPA crew suggested the battery was toast. :shifty: After a few miniutes on a charger, the one-year old CarQuest battery tested low(duh!) and we reluctantly replaced the battery. STILL, the battery light was on but obviously the car was running on new battery juice. We were ushered down the street to a garage to have the charging system checked out since NAPA was confident of the new alternator(I certainly wasn't).

Turns out the 20A fuse under the hood for the alternator was blown! No power was getting to the internal regulator. In all my years of being around Mark VIIIs and even more years with Fords, I have NEVER seen that fuse blow.

Weirder still, when we had left NAPA originally, the battery light was off, confirming it was charging. So the fuse had to have blown while at the gas station? I wish I would've had my volt meter during the trip.

Regardless, the rest of the journey was uneventful and everyone made it back home safe. :)
Wow I’m having this issue now with my 97 LSC ... just did alternator and 3 days later battery light comes on again ! I got the battery removed and new one in the trunk of my other vehicle. ! But I’m checking that damn fuse box in the morning !

Members online

No members online now.
Back