Lower Mclaren Grille Anyone?

pektel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Thanks to another member who pointed me in the right direction, I am able to get a sheet of the perforated plastic like the center of the mclaren grille. Problem is, it only comes in a 4' x 8' sheet. I'd love to split the cost with a few other LVC'ers, and ship them a strip to use as well. All together, the sheet is going to cost between 175 and 200. If i got 3 others who would want to do this mod as well, I could order the sheet, cut it into 2' x4' strips, and ship to each person. Or we could do smaller strips of more want to do this.

Anyone interested? We'd split the cost of the sheet evenly. You'd be responsible for paying packaging and shipping.

I'm pretty sure you could find that in smaller sizes at a garden store. I remember a thread about this a while ago that some brand of gutter covering material looked nearly identical to the McLaren grille. I saw some a few months ago at Lowes but it was after I had a McLaren grille on. Maybe Ken knows...

Ken was the one who pointed me in the right direction. Thanks for the idea of gutter guard, though. I did check home depot, all I could find was the wire mesh

Can you snap a pic or link to a pic of it? Curious how it looks. If it looks decent and not "cheesy", I may be in for my car.

:Beer

Ummmm, how would you attach it to the bumper cover, without it looking ghetto? There would have to be some sort of surround/border to the mesh, and a way to clip it to the existing bumper.

Mark

Honestly, I haven't taken a look at it yet, but i'm sure even a moderate DIY'er can get it to look good. The only thing I'm sure of so far is shooting the existing lower grille black.

if youd be able to walk me through the install i might be able to help on the cost.. we could split it or something.. i just bought the upper grille and would love to have a matching lower.. PM me about it and we can talk later...

$12 for 4 panels 4”X36” at Lowe's/Home Depot in the rain gutter/down spout section comes in green, white, and black plastic. Both stores carry them here in Reno all year.

The gutter guard stuff at Wal Mart is only 36" long so it will NOT work on the regular LS bumper. So, the stuff that you get from Ametco would be cut longer for the regular LS bumper. I attached the lower grille to my LSE bumper with wire ties. It would be MUCH easier to install the lower grilles with the front bumper off the car or if you have a lift of some kind.

$12 for 4 panels 4”X36” at Lowe's/Home Depot in the rain gutter/down spout section comes in green, white, and black plastic. Both stores carry them here in Reno all year.

is this the one the looks nearly identical to the McClaren? also on a 2000 LS stock front bumper there are horizontal and vertical "bars" in the lower section in between foglights... are you guys planning on just removing these or putting the perf. plastic behind them?

I was planning on blacking out the stock grille, then mounting the perforated plastic over the existing grille.

I have used wire ties in the past, along with some silicone to prevent rattling. Worked good before.

I MIGHT be interested... only want to give a shot a photo shopping this one?

search threads and find one entitled McClaren posted by Macoffutt there are pics from the user Bill5... he has a great setup.. scroll to the botom to see pics of his lower McClaren..

Here you go. I don't know what this guy used, but you get the idea:

DSCF1787.jpg

DSCF1788.jpg

yeah, I just finished locating that thread myself. Decided I'm not interested. The lower grill just seems to sit too far forward. I think it would look MUCH MUCH better were it depressed into the opening more. But that seems like a MAJOR PITA to accomplish.

I suppose you could do it one of 2 ways. Here's 2 with the mesh grille instead of the mclaren. Remember that any lower grille overlay will protrude as far as the pics in my previous post, unless set behind the existing grille:

grill320-20view1.jpg

I think I can get it to recess further back than what that picture shows... I might get the belt sander out for it, after finding this pic:

311806_131_full.jpg

not for nothing the lower grill looks hot on the lse bumper but that s my opinion i mean the regular stock bumper is just i dunno to wide and wit the square fogs it looks funny.but to each their own..
then again quick ls grill with the mesh behind looks pretty nice and clean.

I Think It Will Look Goood.. It Should Be Pretty Easy To Do Since The 03+ Ls Bumper Has A Rectangular Shape.

I actually really like it the more i look at it. We could do this for very cheap, since a 1 foot by 4 foot piece would work. Broken down, each person would only pay 20 bucks plus whatever it costs me to box and ship.

i like the lower bumper on the LS with the black McLaren grille.. lets get this thread back on track.. where do i get the supplies to do that to my car..

Members online

Back