Why do we have front air shocks?

unity

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So why does the Mark VIII have front and rear air "struts" yet the Conti and Town Car are just rear air?

do the Conti or Town Car drop over 60mph? do they drop when parked?

No, but thats not the point. The Mark VII did not either, yet it had front and rear too? This is Ford we are talking about, they are not going to add front air shocks JUST so it can lower itself. :)

Maybe... I guess my point of more along the lines of why does the Coti or TC lack air in front? Lowering features seem to me more of a bonus than a feature. I mean if air ride is suppose to be so nice, why would the TC lack it being a passenger vehicle designed for multi-passenger and a famously smooth ride.

Maybe... I guess my point of more along the lines of why does the Coti or TC lack air in front? Lowering features seem to me more of a bonus than a feature. I mean if air ride is suppose to be so nice, why would the TC lack it being a passenger vehicle designed for multi-passenger and a famously smooth ride.

Mark VIII drops for performance

Um... there is like NO real world performance gain... And if it WAS about performance, it would drop for city driving were performance is prudent. Instead it drops on the highway.

yeah,i think the idea was to give everything to the marks,32v ,front air ,aluminum suspension

The Mark VIII doesn't have rear Struts. It has air bags and Conventional shocks in the rear.

Why did they do it? Probably because the Mark VII had Air ride. Can't come up with a totally revolutionary vehicle, and go backwards in the suspension department. The ads say the Mark VIII lowers for better fuel economy and better handling. You know, like when your'e weaving in and out of stop and go traffic at 60mph. :lol:

Um... there is like NO real world performance gain...

shut off your air ride after it pumps up, take the mark on the highway doing 80, sharply make a lane change, now tell me there's no real world performance gain? Ask people that have done sensor lowering about their handling and tell me there's no real world performance gain. Hell, I just want to here it again, there is like NO real world performance gain!:p

shut off your air ride after it pumps up, take the mark on the highway doing 80, sharply make a lane change, now tell me there's no real world performance gain? Ask people that have done sensor lowering about their handling and tell me there's no real world performance gain. Hell, I just want to here it again, there is like NO real world performance gain!:p

Thats handling, not performance :p By the way, mine is so low the tires are rubbing on the liners. lol

actually don't the conti's have air bags all around just like the mark except it just doesn't lower down like the Mark VIII.

96 does not for sure, I have one in my driveway. I thought they did too, but it clearly has OEM coils in front. Its is auto leveling though. Maybe some years had quad-air.

I know that my conti has all four sides. Continentals had air bags in 95 and 96 but not 97+

my 94 has air all around and drops over 60. It was prolly cut on the conti, like everything else car companies do, to save the $$$.

My friend 96 conti parts car has air all the way around. i know because i jacked it up and forgot to turn the switch off and the jack got trapped under the car.

So if I want to increase the performance of my Mark... I should get better ball joints and tie rods. Gotcha! LOL

EVERYONE REPEAT AFTER ME,so you can always remember this

"ALL Continentals from 1988 on up HAVE 4 WHEEL AIR RIDE SUSPENSION!!!"

If yours doesnt,someone changed it or it was a test mule from Ford,period!

check any references you want,heck go try and buy a spring for your conti,you can buy the ampeners and reuse your bags unlike on a mark,but you have air ride,
the town cars had rear only for leveling loads,

actually your conti is more advanced than the marks because you have variable dampening shocks and i believe you can even set them on your instrument panel to firm or soft.

By the way, mine is so low the tires are rubbing on the liners. lol

That is "Anti performance"..due to additional drag.;) :D :D :D :D

which is what the auto lowering feature is designed for, "lowered stance, less air under the car, lower drag"..

which increased performance is a by product of decreased drag.

Members online

Back