Why do we have front air shocks?

EVERYONE REPEAT AFTER ME,so you can always remember this

"ALL Continentals from 1988 on up HAVE 4 WHEEL AIR RIDE SUSPENSION!!!"

ok......"ALL Continentals from 1988 on up HAVE 4 WHEEL AIR RIDE SUSPENSION!!!"

Now what do I win :confused: :shifty:

EVERYONE REPEAT AFTER ME,so you can always remember this

"ALL Continentals from 1988 on up HAVE 4 WHEEL AIR RIDE SUSPENSION!!!"

If yours doesnt,someone changed it or it was a test mule from Ford,period!

check any references you want,heck go try and buy a spring for your conti,you can buy the ampeners and reuse your bags unlike on a mark,but you have air ride,
the town cars had rear only for leveling loads,

actually your conti is more advanced than the marks because you have variable dampening shocks and i believe you can even set them on your instrument panel to firm or soft.

So then the conti have half air/coil up front? I clearly see a coil on my roommates car and the parts catalog says when the strut is purchased, the spring coil is included.

97+ Continentals have rear air only, before that, they had air all around.

Why?

We may never know.................................................................... :eek:

my apologies,
1997 went to coil spring front,so 97-2002 rear air only.

your friends must be a 97.

Maybe... title says 96 unless he either read it wrong or the change was a running change OR he was built as a last of 96 and they were changing over for 97...

I don't have a Conti... so I don't know... and I never looked...

Oh I just wanted to post in here.. so I could feel good...

Dave .... If you put a goat in the trunk is that Performance?

Ok... owner's manual says 96, TITLE says 97... he swore it was a 96. I had to find out for sure since J is helping him, thru me, add a 6-disc CD changer to the console....

Oh my......

Well, we know why this goat is so happy now:

happy_goat.jpg

Mark VIII's have four-wheel air suspension with air spring/shock absorber assemblies (according to Ford service manual) up front and seperate air springs and shocks in back. The air ride's primary function is automatic front to rear and side to side load leveling. It also lowers the car one inch when the car reaches 55mph. This helps to lower the center of gravity to improve handling at speed as well as reducing the amount or air turbulence under the vehicle for better aerodynamics.

I don't know much about the Continentals after 1988 because they went FWD and were based on, of all things, a Taurus platform. In my opinion, FWD Lincolns are not true Lincolns. And the early FWD Conti's with the 3.8L V-6 were a disgrace to the Continental name. At least in the final death throes of the Conti Ford had the decency to install a DOHC 4.6L V-8 with 275hp. it didn't help though. The Conti died in 2002. FWD sucks.

Wow a newbie brought up an old post! <sigh> Yes we know how the air ride works and this thread is not about FWD, thanks.....

OH NO!! NOT AGAIN!!!.....STRUTS TO THE LEFT OF ME!, STRUTS TO THE RIGHT OF ME! "HELP!!":Bang "HELP!!":Bang HELP!!:Bang :Bang :Bang :Bang :Bang :Bang :Bang

Members online

No members online now.
Back