Installed Amsoil conical pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would imagine any metal shop could make them easily, or you could buy one for a stang and modify it. Personally, Mine is one of Geno's ice boxes.

I do know the shield makes a temperature difference when the car is standing still. I have used a laser thermometer. I dont remember the specifics but the temp is a bit lower. I assume it gets lower yet when the car is moving.

Another reason, I believe, to shield it, is to help control air flow. The air is more calm beyond the shield, thus its easier to suck that air into the filter. Outside the filter you have alot of air movement from the fan, air being pushed through the radiator, etc..

Yes I have been running sheildless for almost 10 years now. I always sell out of them before I grab one. When we tested these we did see a decent gain but I could care less to be honest, the small gain I saw wasn't impressive enough for me to take one from a potential customer.

Then what the hell was the point of your original post? Just for the sake of argument? Some of the people on this board really confound all reason sometimes.

Then what the hell was the point of your original post? Just for the sake of argument? Some of the people on this board really confound all reason sometimes.

What are you talking about?
I didnt mention anything except a counter to your claim that the car will run funny and all if unsheilded.

I never once said that sheilded wasn't better, hell why would I have the Icebox on our site for years now if I didnt?

Relax a bit and have a drink or something.....goodness.

Your reading comprehension sucks. Please quote the post where I said the car will run funny.

I said that the MAF transfer function is affected by turbulence from the engine fan, and that the filter should be shielded from it. I love it how everybody reads one things and understands something else on this board.

Paul.

Yeah turbulence from the engine cooling fan. OK. Prove that one. The fan blows on the BLOCK and I was under my hood with the fan on HIGH (MAX a/C) and didn't feel a lick of air coming even near the filter.

You guys are all saying the same thing.

A small gain can maybe be had by the use of a conical filter as long as it is shielded from the engine. End of story. Lets quit the bickering over tiny details and perfect wording.

You guys are all saying the same thing.

A small gain can maybe be had by the use of a conical filter as long as it is shielded from the engine. End of story. Lets quit the bickering over tiny details and perfect wording.

Exactly Joey, thanks.

I was under the impression that the car creates vacuum, that is a low pressure area at the source of intake. That would mean no amount of ANY turbulence could affect it unless it is greater than the force needed to create the vacuum. Not to mention there is a barrier, the filter itself.

The only issue I see would be compartment generated heat but until someone puts a sensor at the TB to measure temperature with and without a box.....

I was under the impression that the car creates vacuum, that is a low pressure area at the source of intake. That would mean no amount of ANY turbulence could affect it unless it is greater than the force needed to create the vacuum. Not to mention there is a barrier, the filter itself.

The only issue I see would be compartment generated heat but until someone puts a sensor at the TB to measure temperature with and without a box.....

We did extensive testing on the Icebox back on the LOD Board. We ran at the track before and afters with a rremote temp sensor in the box from radio shack.

Our testing yeilded a 5th of a second increase in 1/4 mile times in 41 degree weather! Imagine the gains in the heat! The temperature at the time of testing was 39 degrees, after the test vehicle was at full operating teamperature the remote temperature probe read 133 degrees without the Icebox, with the Icebox (after idleing for approximately 10 minutes) fell to 77 degrees!

All I am saying is I have NEVER had nor heard of an issue related to turbulence with an unsheilded set up in a Mark VIII.

Yeah turbulence from the engine cooling fan. OK. Prove that one. The fan blows on the BLOCK and I was under my hood with the fan on HIGH (MAX a/C) and didn't feel a lick of air coming even near the filter.

Christ, just google it if you don't believe me.

Are you really saying that a fan that flows 4500 CFM under the hood of an engine doesn't create turbulence? Seriously? Is that what you're telling me?

This board is chock full of a bunch of 14-15 second cars owned by people who apparently know more about high performance than anyone else on the planet, and fervently defend positions on things they know zero about just for the sake of argument. It is really astounding.

My original statement is nothing but common sense, and yet here we are.

Paul.

Christ, just google it if you don't believe me.

Are you really saying that a fan that flows 4500 CFM under the hood of an engine doesn't create turbulence? Seriously? Is that what you're telling me?

This board is chock full of a bunch of 14-15 second cars owned by people who apparently know more about high performance than anyone else on the planet, and fervently defend positions on things they know zero about just for the sake of argument. It is really astounding.

My original statement is nothing but common sense, and yet here we are.

Paul.

All I AM SAYING (Again) is that I HAVE NEVER HAD AN ISSUE NOR HEARD OF AN ISSUE REGARDING THIS.

I have run like that for a decade and had no problems, ce lights, driveability issues...etc.

Thread is 5 minutes from being locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back