Brand new cooling system, love this car, ha

SultanGris

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Going system is all brand new, still leaks, love this car, lol
20210104_074214.jpg

Whole thermostat housing and downpipe, I did get a new bottle but I haven't installed it yet cuz it's not where it's leaking im pretty sure, it's leaking from the thermostat housing that stupid little downpipe with no clamp I think. Total shit design. Or maybe the block is cracked. Coming off of the middle of the engine in the back, they say it runs down from the front thermostat housing under the intake manifold.

There's a throttle body heater hose that comes off the base where the elbow (9N499) goes. It's known to split open.
If you don't get the ports on the fronts of the heads perfectly clean, coolant can spray from them and look like it is from the junction of the 9N499 to the 8548A.
The design could probably be better in some ways (at some additional cost), but it works just fine when the right parts are correctly installed.

You are really going to hate this car if you are replacing just a few cooling system parts at at time. When you fix the major problems, the rest of the old parts can't handle the restored pressure. They all seem to rot at almost exactly the same rate. Do it all, do it now.
GenII LS8 Cooling System Overhaul

When I did my thermostat it took a couple tries to get the hoses back on to where it wouldn't leak. I ended up replacing a few clamps with worm gears and they're all good now.

There's a throttle body heater hose that comes off the base where the elbow (9N499) goes. It's known to split open.
If you don't get the ports on the fronts of the heads perfectly clean, coolant can spray from them and look like it is from the junction of the 9N499 to the 8548A.
The design could probably be better in some ways (at some additional cost), but it works just fine when the right parts are correctly installed.

You are really going to hate this car if you are replacing just a few cooling system parts at at time. When you fix the major problems, the rest of the old parts can't handle the restored pressure. They all seem to rot at almost exactly the same rate. Do it all, do it now.
Yeah I have no doubt you're correct, however when I bought this car I wasn't really planning on having to rebuild the whole thing or keep it forever, paid a thousand bucks for it, said it needed brakes. It's not my main or only car so I don't really care about it too much, just wanted something old I could work on myself and thought hey cool, a Lincoln for cheap! Now I know why it was so cheap, haha!

Come to find out needs a whole new cooling system and brakes and suspension and coils and plugs and tires and a bunch of other stuff I forgot I'm sure. I just wanted a car to drive for a couple months while I'm getting my truck worked on, 2013 f350 powerstroke diesel, mechanic fixed a wire but accidentally dumped a bunch of fuel in my intake and hydro locked it and broke something so it's gonna cost him up to 15k to fix depending what's wrong and he's been jerking me around blowing me off so I just wanted a car for a short time instead of renting one. Was gonna sell when I'm done but by the time I get this pos in good running condition I'm gonna have three times as much money into it as it's worth, so that plan ain't gonna work, lol

I've been driving it about a month an a half and put prolly 500-600 into it so far, I just carry a few gallons of water in the back seat and pop my cap and relieve the pressure when I get where I'm going and then I don't lose much coolant. Perfect for around town but she ain't no good for a road trip. if I don't take the pressure off she'll puke out a quarter to a half a gallon, doesn't seem to have as much pressure as it used to a month ago though and it's got a lot of new parts on it now. starting to piss me off though, I might just sell it to some other sucker and buy something else that's easier to work on, everyone is cram packed so tight in there. I'm going to have to go buy some tools I don't have to get the covers off my driver's side spark plugs, need a flexible knuckle or bendable gear wrench to get in there, my trucks gonna be fixed before this thing is at this rate, haha

Would be a sweet little car if it all worked as intended though, I just don't want to put too much money into it but it looks like that's what it's going to take to fix it unfortunately. I have my F-350 cranked up to about 600 horsepower, it makes sports cars look slow but the Lincoln handles way better around corners, ha!

When I did my thermostat it took a couple tries to get the hoses back on to where it wouldn't leak. I ended up replacing a few clamps with worm gears and they're all good now.
It's just so hard to see where it's even coming from, it's under the throttle body there somewhere though I'm pretty sure.

Hey sorry for the long story there, but I'm confused now. is this the hose you mean? Going to throttle body? I don't recall seeing that one unless it's on top and connects to the thermostat housing in front, you say a and he said b and under the intake, but only other one I saw by throttle body was a short one in front next to the long one that went over the top of the intake. Thanks
Screenshot_20210104-191216_Chrome.jpg

Yeah, that's the one. Connects to the "block" behind the elbow and to the throttle body.

Yeah, that's the one. Connects to the "block" behind the elbow and to the throttle body.
I think you might be right here, this looks like it could very well be the culprit. Clamp looks a little rusty, signs water in the area anyway. Do you have to completely remove the intake to change this one?

I think you might be right here, this looks like it could very well be the culprit. Clamp looks a little rusty, signs water in the area anyway. Do you have to completely remove the intake to change this one?

I did. It's not difficult, after you've done it a few times. There's a little bit in the back that you can't see that is a pain the first time. Note that if you remove the manifold, there is no need to separate the throttle body from the manifold, just remove them as a unit.

2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

I did. It's not difficult, after you've done it a few times. There's a little bit in the back that you can't see that is a pain the first time. Note that if you remove the manifold, there is no need to separate the throttle body from the manifold, just remove them as a unit.

2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual
Sounds good man, thanks. I was super frustrated, thought the part I just replaced was leaking again, hopefully it's just this hose!

I came across this video yesterday, hopefully it can help you out.

You happen to know the real part number or description of that hose? 8548 a or b don't find anything and telling AutoZone it connects to the throttle body and block doesn't help them find it either, thanks.

You happen to know the real part number or description of that hose? 8548 a or b don't find anything and telling AutoZone it connects to the throttle body and block doesn't help them find it either, thanks.
You might find it on ebay

It's just so hard to see where it's even coming from, it's under the throttle body there somewhere though I'm pretty sure.
" The difficult part (for me) in dealing with Tasca is they don't or did not list the right part numbers. FordPartsGiant was about 10% higher in price, but listed the parts numbers.

Upper radiator hose. 8260 - 2W9Z-8260-GB

Lower radiator hose. There is a long plastic section in the middle. (w/ Oil Cooler): 8286A (KM-4677) - 3W4Z-8286-CB

Hose Under Intake Manifold: 8548B - 4Z-9F814-AC

Hose: 8548C

Hose HVAC Heater Hose (Upper Hose to DCCV): 18472 (KH-166)

Thermostat housing. This is the part with the thermostat twisted in, the fill cap,... Also called Water Outlet: 8592 (RH-134) - 4Z-8592-AA

Thermostat: 8575 (RT-1163)

Engine Fill Cap: 8A511

Plastic Elbow (underneath intake manifold): 9N499

Main Plastic Body: Attaches to the Plastic Elbow (backside) and, the T-Stat Housing attaches to it (frontside): 8548A - 4Z-8548-AD

Top O-ring for the 9N499 to 8548A HR1 - 707299-S300
Bottom O-ring for the 9N499 to engine block 8255B - 4Z-8255-CA
The 2 O-rings from 8548A to front face of engine block 8255A - 96JV-8255-CB
Large O-ring from 8548A to 8592 8590 - 2W9Z-8590-AB
Intake Manifold Gasket 9439 - 9Z-9439-AA

Degas bottle. (Need hoses) 8A080

Belt Tensioner 8676

Serpentine Drive Belt 8620 "
I'm not 100% sure that hose is correct on ebay but it looks like the one you're looking for I think

Screenshot_20210110-073455_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210110-073450_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210110-073338_eBay.jpg

There's a good thread on here (created by SoulSoak) - search for it - it has every part number, price, location, and pics of how to change them for all of the cooling components maybe with the exception of the radiator.

4Z-9F814-AC still doesn't find on Rock Auto but it brings it right up on Google anyway with pictures and everything, thanks.

Hopefully AutoZone can find it now cause I'm actually trying to source it locally instead of wait for shipping because I lose about a half a gallon or more in about 8 miles of in town driving, got a feeling I'm going to need a few more of those parts on that list too so thanks a million. Lots easier to find when you have the right numbers, or whole number if that's the case it looks like here

Actually I think this is the right correct number from Ford, in your last picture, finds even more results, thanks.

3W4Z-9F814-AA

Actually that number still won't find it in a parts store, but it finds a bunch of online sources, maybe online is the only option. Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back