Shocks/springs?

Tommy B

LVC Member
Reaction score
Looks like the original rear shocks on my '03 have finally bit the dust. Any recommendations on where I might find a reasonably priced and capable set of new front and rear shocks and springs? Many thanks.

Well, AFAIK, you can't buy the factory sport shocks anymore. You can buy the factory non-sport shocks. I don't know how they compare to the sport ones. I haven't tried aftermarket, but I have read from a few that did, that the worn out factory shocks were better than the new aftermarket ones. Because of that, I have resorted to getting shocks from the pick-n-pull yards from LSes that look like they have fewer miles than mine.

I think that I need shocks too. I have 131,000 miles on my 2005 V8 LS. I've read posts here dissatisfied with the Monroe shocks. Has anyone tried KYB?

Define reasonably priced... and define capable.
I want the car to handle as it always has since I drove it off the dealership lot 15 years ago. I'd say reasonably priced is about $100 per wheel?. That's shocks AND springs, since they're probably sprung by now too.

About two months ago, I installed a set of KYBs on the rear of my 2003 and so far, they are performing very well. I was just looking to restore the stock ride and the KYBs seem to be achieving that goal. I used the original springs as they were still in great shape. The shocks were purchased at Summit Racing because their pricing was the best. They arrived within three days. Take that Amazon!! I compressed the springs myself and that process was much easier than expected. No problems or issues, just be careful you don't break the plastic spring seats. Age makes them a bit delicate. The shock/ spring assembly was very easy to get in and out of the car. I fully intend on installing a set of KYBs on the front, maybe this spring or summer.

About two months ago, I installed a set of KYBs on the rear of my 2003 and so far, they are performing very well. ore the stock ride and the KYBs seeoriginal springs as they were still in great shape. The shocks were purchased at Summit Racing because their pricing was the best. They arrived within three days. Take that Amazon!! I compressed the springs myself and that process was much easier than expected. No problems or issues, just be careful you don't break the plastic spring seats. Age makes them a bit delicate. The shock/ spring assembly was very easy to get in and out of the car. I fully intend on installing a set of KYBs on the front, maybe this spring or summer.

Thanks, Robert, I appreciate the information. Summit has a much better price than O'Reilly.

Last edited:
Just for fun, here are a couple of pics of the old and new:
IMG_3937.JPG

IMG_4041.JPG

Before installing the new shocks, I applied a couple coats of paint to that weld seam for some additional rust protection.

Looks like the original rear shocks on my '03 have finally bit the dust. Any recommendations on where I might find a reasonably priced and capable set of new front and rear shocks and springs? Many thanks.
I went with Used MotorCraft off Ebay and wasn't disappointed at all ...I was fortunate to pick up these brand new MotorCrafts this summer off of Craigslist ...the guy purchased them off Rockauto when they were having a closeout sale ...I'm putting them on my 2002 LSE when Spring hits
20190707_085253.jpg
20190707_085304.jpg

I'd say reasonably priced is about $100 per wheel?. That's shocks AND springs,

want the car to handle as it always has since I drove it off the dealership lot 15 years ago.

Yeeaahhh..... that's not gonna happen. IF you could STILL get factory shocks and springs... they would set you back close to $500 a corner.

You will have a hard time trying to find ANY shock and spring for $100 a corner, (for both), that will give you a quality ride... that will last.

I want the car to handle as it always has since I drove it off the dealership lot 15 years ago. I'd say reasonably priced is about $100 per wheel?. That's shocks AND springs, since they're probably sprung by now too.
I purchased my springs and shock absorbers from a dealer out of Keller, Texas on Ebay they were $217 for the pair off of a wrecked Lincoln LS with low miles ...search Ebay and see what they have...it's possible to find good used MotorCraft shocks still for about $100 a corner ...the nice thing about it is they're already pressed on the spring when they arrive at your door ...which means you simply swap out old with new ...the Shock mount bolts are lined up perfect and ready to install easy

I purchased my springs and shock absorbers from a dealer out of Keller, Texas on Ebay they were $217 for the pair off of a wrecked Lincoln LS with low miles ...search Ebay and see what they have...it's possible to find good used MotorCraft shocks still for about $100 a corner ...the nice thing about it is they're already pressed on the spring when they arrive at your door ...which means you simply swap out old with new ...the Shock mount bolts are lined up perfect and ready to install easy
Do the springs need to be replaced and sag because of corrosion or just carrying the vehicle weight?

Do the springs need to be replaced and sag because of corrosion or just carrying the vehicle weight?
If you have 15 year old springs on your car it's probably a good idea to change them out ...whether or not you're in the rust belt or down south makes a huge difference but it's a wear item like so many others and will eventually wear out over time

The springs will sag over time. That's normal. There are some issues with the bottom spring tail bending or breaking on the left rear corner. This usually coincides with a horrible suspension squeak on the same corner.

The rear springs can be shimmed to restore ride height.

Rockauto.com currently has good pricing on the KYBs. $53 each for the rear and $57 each for the front. Cheaper today than they were a few months ago. I couldn’t justify a $100+ for a used shock absorber.

The closest you can get to that is using Jaguar springs and Bilstein shocks. That will still set you back about $350 a corner.

I'm curious about where you're sourcing the Bilstein shocks. All I've been able to find were universal fit. Where do you get the Jaguar Springs from? Are they a performance upgrade?

If you have 15 year old springs on your car it's probably a good idea to change them out ...whether or not you're in the rust belt or down south makes a huge difference but it's a wear item like so many others and will eventually wear out over time

I have to admit that I'm hesitant to buy used parts on-line. Does anyone have a recommendation for the springs, other than NOS or low-mile salvage? Also, has anyone tried the Eibach lowering springs? I added a lot of other parts to keep the steering geometry while lowering a Mustang 5.0 'vert. and not sure I want to do that again.

As previously mentioned... the NOS springs and shocks have pretty much vaporized years ago... due to other LS owners doing what you want to do now.

The Eibach and H&R springs come with their own issues, as you are aware of... and there is no aftermarket hardware that will allow you to do to the LS, what you did to your Mustang.

The Jag springs are sourced from a Jag dealer... and the Bilstein shocks are for a Jaguar. The shocks can be sourced through internet retailers. The springs and shocks from certain year Jag S-Types are pretty much a direct bolt-on to the LS.

I say pretty much... because the Jag rear shock/spring assembly, (when assembled), will bolt right on.

The front Jag shock/spring assembly is almost a direct bolt on. However... you will need to source used rear spring seats from a junkyard for an LS or S-type to use on the front Bilstein shocks.

Reason being... the diameter of the bottom of the front LS springs is smaller that the diameter of the front Jag S-type spring... so an LS spring will not work on the Bilstein shock. You might think "well I'll just use a rear spring on the front". That won't work either... because the front and rear springs have different spring rates.

It's pretty much all in the link below. However... If I had to do it all over again... I would have gone with the Bilstein B6 shocks. I started out doing a suspension rebuild due to worn parts... and ended up going "all in".

04_Sport_LS's Suspension thread

When I started this... I had some of the typical squeaks from worn bushings. On top of that... the suspension felt kinda like a pogo stick. It was a night and day difference before and after. Not just because of replaced components... but also due to the design of the springs and shocks.

One final thing to note, (and it is mentioned and shown in the above thread). The S-type, (and other Jags), use a "progressive rate" spring... whereas the LS uses a "single rate" spring. The progressive rate spring initially offers a slightly more compliant ride... but when you start pushing the vehicle through turns the Jag setup outperforms the factory LS supension... even the Sport version.

Lastly... if/when you order the Jag springs... they may or may not come with the bottom spring isolator. I only had one spring come with an isolator... so I ended up using the original LS isolators on the rear... and, (repeating myself), sourced 2 more rear isolators off the back of a junkyard LS... to use with the front Jag springs. IIRC... the Jag isolators and the LS isolators are slightly different heights... so you
don't want to "mix and match" isolators.

Note: All the springs and shocks I ordered for my LS... were sourced for a 2002 Jag S-Type. In 2003... Jag redesigned some of the front suspension... and the earlier Jag S-Types used a different front shock that will not work on the LS. So if anyone tries to order Jag/Bilstein parts for other than the 2002 model year... don't blame me if they won't fit.

Last edited:
As previously mentioned... the NOS springs and shocks have pretty much vaporized years ago... due to other LS owners doing what you want to do now.

The Eibach and H&R springs come with their own issues, as you are aware of... and there is no aftermarket hardware that will allow you to do to the LS, what you did to your Mustang.

The Jag springs are sourced from a Jag dealer... and the Bilstein shocks are for a Jaguar. The shocks can be sourced through internet retailers. The springs and shocks from certain year Jag S-Types are pretty much a direct bolt-on to the LS.

I say pretty much... because the Jag rear shock/spring assembly, (when assembled), will bolt right on.

The front Jag shock/spring assembly is almost a direct bolt on. However... you will need to source used rear spring seats from a junkyard for an LS or S-type to use on the front Bilstein shocks.

Reason being... the diameter of the bottom of the front LS springs is smaller that the diameter of the front Jag S-type spring... so an LS spring will not work on the Bilstein shock. You might think "well I'll just use a rear spring on the front". That won't work either... because the front and rear springs have different spring rates.

It's pretty much all in the link below. However... If I had to do it all over again... I would have gone with the Bilstein B6 shocks. I started out doing a suspension rebuild due to worn parts... and ended up going "all in".

04_Sport_LS's Suspension thread

When I started this... I had some of the typical squeaks from worn bushings. On top of that... the suspension felt kinda like a pogo stick. It was a night and day difference before and after. Not just because of replaced components... but also due to the design of the springs and shocks.

One final thing to note, (and it is mentioned and shown in the above thread). The S-type, (and other Jags), use a "progressive rate" spring... whereas the LS uses a "single rate" spring. The progressive rate spring initially offers a slightly more compliant ride... but when you start pushing the vehicle through turns the Jag setup outperforms the factory LS supension... even the Sport version.

Lastly... if/when you order the Jag springs... they may or may not come with the bottom spring isolator. I only had one spring come with an isolator... so I ended up using the original LS isolators on the rear... and, (repeating myself), sourced 2 more rear isolators off the back of a junkyard LS... to use with the front Jag springs. IIRC... the Jag isolators and the LS isolators are slightly different heights... so you
don't want to "mix and match" isolators.

Note: All the springs and shocks I ordered for my LS... were sourced for a 2002 Jag S-Type. In 2003... Jag redesigned some of the front suspension... and the earlier Jag S-Types used a different front shock that will not work on the LS. So if anyone tries to order Jag/Bilstein parts for other than the 2002 model year... don't blame me if they won't fit.

Thanks for all the information and the link. I'm going to have to stew about this for a bit. I've been thinking about getting a newest generation Continental, used, but had planned to get some more miles out of the LS before making the change.

You'll figure it out... in about 2-3 years.
Hey 4 Sport, The beauty of forums like this one is that one gets to learn of many perspectives and paths toward a solution. Our perspectives are indeed quite different. You see, I find absolutely no sense in spending thousands for a collection of Jaguar, Bilstein and overpriced OEM suspension components. The ROI just isn't there for a car that the insurance companies only value at just a few thousand dollars. I know those inexpensive KYB shocks work well as I have a 27 year history using them on my other cars. $55 each and they'll outlast my car. I'll trade the cool factor of Jaguar and Bilstein for greenbacks in my wallet anyday.

You'll figure it out........in about 2-3 years.

Members online

Back