06 lincoln ls overheating

Benjaminws

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok fellas so my car has been sitting for almost 2 years, got a DUI , but thats over and done with. So I've started it and driven it around the lot here and there for those 2 years. Took it out on the road yesterday and it started overheating after about 20 minutes. Need yalls knowledge on why yall think this is happening. Thanks

It'll be the same issue as everybody else. Search. Replace all plastic cooling system parts.

Yup.

It's either age, (13+ year old parts)... or miles on vehicle that causes the failure. Even if it has been sitting for 2 years. Sometimes thats even harder on the parts.

And as Joe said... everything has to be replaced.

Aftermarket parts won't hold up for much more than a year... so that means bracing yourself for a $1000 expense for dealer parts... and a bunch of labor if you install them yourself.

Here is probably the best and most complete cooling system rebuild thread.

GenII LS8 Cooling System Overhaul

DON'T buy aftermarket parts. They will not hold up, and you will be replacing them again in a year or so.

Brace yourself... you will be spending about $1000 at the dealer for parts... but you will get 6-7 years out of them... maybe more.

If it's overheating, then it is cooling system related. Again... with te age of the parts, you have a leak somwhere. Replacing one part at a time would be fruitless.

The only other think you might check... is when it's overheating, does the cooling fan operate. If the fan is working... back to replacing all the parts. :(

Replace the thermostat housing. See the pics of a failed part with 78K miles off my 2006. You can see the collapsed boss in the red circle that the thermostat pushes against. The thermostat will never fully open and the car will overheat. Get Motorcraft parts and change the thermostat while you're in there.

20180427_193321.jpg

20180427_193412.jpg

Replace the thermostat housing. See the pics of a failed part with 78K miles off my 2006. You can see the collapsed boss in the red circle that the thermostat pushes against. The thermostat will never fully open and the car will overheat. Get Motorcraft parts and change the thermostat while you're in there....

Again, replace it all, not just one or two parts. Once and done!

Yup.

It's either age, (13+ year old parts)... or miles on vehicle that causes the failure. Even if it has been sitting for 2 years. Sometimes thats even harder on the parts.

And as Joe said... everything has to be replaced.

Aftermarket parts won't hold up for much more than a year... so that means bracing yourself for a $1000 expense for dealer parts... and a bunch of labor if you install them yourself.
You can buy the whole schabang at Amazon for $42.61 and DIY in 3 hours.
Robot Check

Screenshot_20191203-154012_Chrome.jpg

20191203_154035.jpg

yep, you got a leak somewhere or the fan does not work. after warming the engine up check to see if the system pressurizes by removing the degas bottle cap slowly, you should hear a sucking sound or hiss. If you got pressure then I would try bleeding the system several times, and of course replace all the hoses with good quality stuff. I also wonder if the thermostat is stuck closed.

You could also look for the tell tale signs of leakage...white powder...then replace those parts BUT you are just delaying the inevitable.

Don't forget the Dual Climate Control Valve... Auxiliary Coolant flow pump... and sometimes needed water pump. Those 3 are close to another $500.

These guys are correct, however I replaced a part or two at a time, and that's not bad if you can do it yourself but if you have to pay someone else then definitely do it all at once or the labor costs will be ridiculous because you'll likely have to take the parts of you just replaced to get to the next one that starts leaking. I also failed to use all motorcraft parts, tried to save money with aftermarket but aftermarket cooling system parts for this car are complete crap apparently and mine still overheats a little so I had to buy the parts twice and get motorcraft ones. Guy I bought the car from had replaced a few too but missed the elbow behind the thermostat housing, cracked down the seam, and the hose under the intake.

Be sure to correctly bleed the cooling system.
it takes time, and often the dealers or a quality repair shop do not spend the time to follow the workshop manual instructions.

Ok fellas so my car has been sitting for almost 2 years, got a DUI , but thats over and done with. So I've started it and driven it around the lot here and there for those 2 years. Took it out on the road yesterday and it started overheating after about 20 minutes. Need yalls knowledge on why yall think this is happening. Thanks
easy the plastic container mounted on the firewall to capture evaporated or over filled coolant most likely is broken or its hose needs to be change. New container $39.00 hoses come with it and make sure the cap is still seable do not switch out pressure cap. If you need instructions on how to bleed it after the container is repaired "3.9 lit" V6 its almost never busts.

You do realize this thread is 3 years old.
I think they made it a sticky or something, I thought it was a new thread, I didn't realize it was in the sticky section last July when I necromanced it cause i hadn't seen it there before and i didn't look at dates, my bad :D

You can't win on forums though, they yell at ya for not using search and they yell at ya for reviving old threads when you do use search, ha!

You didn't necromance it... Marine1 did. Your last post was July 1st, 2021.
Bonus points to him for mistaking the pressurized degas bottle for an overflow bottle. Wonder where and what he found for $39? Should last at least a month...
Also confused about "3.9 lit" V6. It can't be both.

Bonus points to him for mistaking the pressurized degas bottle for an overflow bottle. Wonder where and what he found for $39? Should last at least a month...
Also confused about "3.9 lit" V6. It can't be both.
But I thought he was a knowledgeble Ford Parts Man!

Members online

Back