Aluminium Degas Bottle

Hey man if anyone wants anything special done please be sure to let me know in advance. I'll accommodate anything. Im also go na have hoodies made later on with my shop logo on it do if anyone wants one I'll get ya links and whatnot for my fb site. And I just got the bottle in the mail so this weekend I'm making poster board templates and ordering material. It is tricky but few cuts and bends and it'll hold the shape nicely. Does anyone know the thread pitch and size of the cap off hand? Gonna make aluminum threads so everyone can use their stock cap.

Also, once I get the first one installed and tested and verified working properly I'll need deposits before I start making them. I don't wanna build ten of em and then have everyone back out or have to wait. It will take a day or two to make and orders will be filled as they come in for the time being.

Also, forgot to mention, that I had the thermo housing sent to me as well and I'm gonna do my best to replicate that so that will be coming out within the next month or so. That ones gonna be tricky but I think I can make it work nicely.

Which generation of motor? Gen 1 already had the Jag alum housing readily available.

Which generation of motor? Gen 1 already had the Jag alum housing readily available.
Umm, what? Both LS generations have the same degas bottle - 5W4Z-8A080-AA

The Jag S-type has a different degas bottle for their later year models (placed at the front, by the radiator), but both our LS generations match THEIR first gen.

EDIT: oddball was actually asking about the thermostat housing, as can be inferred from the flow of the conversation.

Last edited:
20181007_201115.jpg
20181007_201103.jpg

20181007_201043.jpg

Ok so this is the first one I've come up with. Material for the inlet and outlet hoses will be here Tuesday or wednesday. Just trying to get the overall shape figured out and perfected. The threaded bung will go on the top x. I'm gonna put fittings on the front face with a clear hose so you can see the fluid level. But there ya have it for the most part.

My original degas bottle began to fail at about 165K and I still have all the other original cooling parts in place. There is no suggestion yet of them failing, although they are all very close, I'm sure.

Dam!!!! You done good!!!!!!!! Mine went at 135-140k also. Then the radiator at 150... and the DCCV at 160... and one o-ring/gasket again at 180. I do have the original Jag belt on the vehicle though at almost 210k... and it's been doused in engine coolant 4 times. Amazing what a can of brake clean will do. ;)

150 plus shipping. Right now I'm trying to find a machinist to make an aluminum bung so you can use the factory cap. Factory mounting points and internals and whatnot. 3/32 thick 5052 aluminum material.I'll have em pressure tested to about 30psi just for good measure.

AWESOME!!! Now can you make an aluminum wye for the upper hose... and an aluminum crossover pipe for the heads... and an aluminum thermostat housing... and... and... and??????

What... you can't build transparent aluminum? Pfft! :p

Well done. This is a work of art. Almost should require a hole in the hood to show that thing off.

Well done -

How will you address the inner chambers/dividers to mimic the stock unit?

Hey Aron,

I'm actually not THAT far from you. If interested, PM me your address and I'll come check out your shop some weekend. Might make the majority of interested LSer's feel more comfortable about laying out a deposit if I can verify your legit.

Ok so this is the first one I've come up with. Material for the inlet and outlet hoses will be here Tuesday or wednesday. Just trying to get the overall shape figured out and perfected. The threaded bung will go on the top x. I'm gonna put fittings on the front face with a clear hose so you can see the fluid level. But there ya have it for the most part.
I am interested in buying one as well. I currently am taking my cowling apart to replace the factory degas tank. I would prefer to spend the money on this vs. a stock tank that will just fail again. I will wait to see what happens with these tanks, and if we can order. Many thanks!

Has anyone done research about using an aftermarket aluminum coolant (degas) bottle that may fit into the current location? I had an idea once to try and redo the air intake and filter (using a small cone type filter) and using the reclaimed space for a aluminum degas tank. However, I never could get something that would fit quite right. I did try and aluminum degas tank from a mustang, but, there was not adequate room. Any thoughts / feedback on what people have tried?

I just replaced the degas bottle in my 2003 LS at a very high cost. The original lasted 150k. What on earth causes these things to fail? Why does the Dorman only last 30k? They seem to be made from polyethylene or polypropylene which should last forever.

Members online

Back