Noticed someone has used a jack on my gas tank

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I just noticed that someone has at some point used a jack on my gas tank or at least it sure looks like it. The question is would I be wise to replace my gas tank or should I use some type of repair kit, or should I get a good used one?
12.jpg

Last edited:
Are you having fuel problems? It doesn't look like it is punctured from that photo.

Are you having fuel problems? It doesn't look like it is punctured from that photo.
Having an issue with the fuel tank pressure sensor but other than that no. I have to drop the gas tank to do that repair on the sensor so was wondering I guess should I get a used gas tank to be safe. I guess the only reason it scares me is cause the marks are pretty deep, but it might be hard to tell from the picture.

Be aware there are no new fuel tanks available (that I or my dealer could find). If you want to replace the tank, you'll need to source a used one as you mention.

I wonder if the tank was previously dropped on your car, hence the markings from a jack?

Be aware there are no new fuel tanks available (that I or my dealer could find). If you want to replace the tank, you'll need to source a used one as you mention.

I wonder if the tank was previously dropped on your car, hence the markings from a jack?
It's so hard to say what happened it's something I only noticed when I had to jack up the rear this morning to check out my shock springs.
I was most likely going used anyway I did not really want to drop $400 plus into a new one. I found one about 60 miles away from me for $75 where they pull it for you.

I was most likely going used anyway I did not really want to drop $400 plus into a new one.

Have you actually found a new one for a Gen1? Seriously - my dealer tried to find one last year and there were none available anywhere.

Have you actually found a new one for a Gen1? Seriously - my dealer tried to find one last year and there were none available anywhere.
I have not even looked for a new one I just found a good deal on a used A Grade tank for $75. Being the used price is that good for A Grade I would grab it in a heartbeat if I needed a tank.

I think I am going to go the safe route by going and picking up that gas tank tomorrow. Since these parts are getting harder to find I might as well grab it while I can. To me the tank is questionable to say the very least and just because it's not leaking today don't mean it can't start down the road. Them gash's are a lot deeper than they look in the picture. And since the tank has to be dropped on my car to change the fuel tank pressure sensor then I think I would be smart to swap tanks cause obviously I don't want to have the tank dropped again later because of a leak.

I have not even looked for a new one I just found a good deal on a used A Grade tank for $75. Being the used price is that good for A Grade I would grab it in a heartbeat if I needed a tank.
Sounds like you’re keeping this 1st Gen for the long haul Dale .....soooooooo...lol....what does your gut tell you? I mean ...If... the tank is coming out then you should go for a different one if you think the existing tank it going to give you problems down the road...it would be a no brained for me in the Midwest to drop in a different tank because the salt would eat that thing away ...you however live where no salt is used or not as much as Minnesota so there isn’t always that to consider ...but........and there’s huge....... But!...make sure before you buy the used tank for $75 dollars it’s not going to give you problems ...bring someone who knows what to look for ...experienced person with knowledge ...just saying...because it would really suck to drop the tank and have a problematic tank and then have to drop it again

Sounds like you’re keeping this 1st Gen for the long haul Dale .....soooooooo...lol....what does your gut tell you? I mean I forgot the tank is coming out then you should go for the new one ....but........and there’s huge....... But!...make sure before you buy the used tank for $75 dollars it’s not going to give you problems ...bring someone who knows what to look for ...experienced person with knowledge ...just saying...because it would really suck to drop the tank and have a problematic tank and then have to drop it again
Oh I agree but I can take a flash light and inspect it myself. I don't have anyone that could go with me that knows what they are doing. The boneyard has good reviews though so I trust them. But I will inspect it... the best my eyes will allow. And yeah since I have done so much work I hate to get rid of it at this point unless someone comes with a decent offer.

Oh I agree but I can take a flash light and inspect it myself. I don't have anyone that could go with me that knows what they are doing. The boneyard has good reviews though so I trust them. But I will inspect it... the best my eyes will allow.:D
Sounds good ...I like where your head is at man....

Sounds good ...I like where your head is at man....
Well I do really wish I owned a Gen 2 but I think I am safe of the Gen 1 issues since I did the timing tensioner update I think the motor is safe. But I swear it would be nice if someone could do the valve cover gaskets the right way. I have had 3 sets of gaskets installed and yet it still leaks. This time the leak is very minor but I will have to address it as soon as the rear suspension and tank are fixed.

Well I do really wish I owned a Gen 2 but I think I am safe of the Gen 1 issues since I did the timing tensioner update I think the motor is safe. But I swear it would be nice if someone could do the valve cover gaskets the right way. I have had 3 sets of gaskets installed and yet it still leaks. This time the leak is very minor but I will have to address it as soon as the rear suspension and tank are fixed.
Hmmm strange ...never heard of ppl having so much trouble ....might want to have a professional quality shop do them ....I mean ...yeah it’s going to cost like $290-$300 but they would have to repair them for free if you had anymore issues

Hmmm strange ...never heard of ppl having so much trouble ....might want to have a professional quality shop do them ....I mean ...yeah it’s going to cost like $290-$300 but they would have to repair them for free if you had anymore issues
I have one more guy that I will let do it cause they have owned a LS and that was who I wanted to do it the first time it just never worked out time wise. Also I think the guy that's doing my tank would do it the correct way. I think it's only leaking on the drivers side so hopefully only half the labor of the normal repair.

I always did my own oil changes on my 89 TownCar, but I needed some work done that I couldn't do. So, I brought it into a shop for repair.

On my next oil change, I noticed that my oil pan was dented right around the drain plug. The idiot had tried to raise the car or the engine using a jack under the oil pan.

Luckily, it didn't leak, and I was able to get at the plug for future oil changes. (Car had two oil plugs.)

I always did my own oil changes on my 89 TownCar, but I needed some work done that I couldn't do. So, I brought it into a shop for repair.

On my next oil change, I noticed that my oil pan was dented right around the drain plug. The idiot had tried to raise the car or the engine using a jack under the oil pan.

Luckily, it didn't leak, and I was able to get at the plug for future oil changes. (Car had two oil plugs.)
I hate oil change places with a passion. Jiffy Lube broke my old 06 LS oil mount and tried to claim it was like this before they touched it. Considering the 06 never leaked oil in the driveway I kinda find that one hard to believe. They also told me after the oil change was done! Who in their right mind waits to tell you that the oil mount is broken after the fact! This is something they should have made me aware of before they added the new oil back in. I had to find one from a boneyard cause the part was not made any longer and had to have to modified by a machine guy to work on the 06. I try to avoid shops but on somethings you just can't. But when I do go I always try my best to bear near by when they work on my car if nothing else standing outside the garage while the are working.

I hate oil change places with a passion. Jiffy Lube broke my old 06 LS oil mount and tried to claim it was like this before they touched it. Considering the 06 never leaked oil in the driveway I kinda find that one hard to believe. They also told me after the oil change was done! Who in their right mind waits to tell you that the oil mount is broken after the fact! This is something they should have made me aware of before they added the new oil back in. I had to find one from a boneyard cause the part was not made any longer and had to have to modified by a machine guy to work on the 06. I try to avoid shops but on somethings you just can't. But when I do go I always try my best to bear near by when they work on my car if nothing else standing outside the garage while the are working.
Anyone who can find a good honest and affordable mechanic who knows his shit ...should consider themself blessed beyond all else....like doctors, engineers, veterinarians, and all other professionals in the world ...you could have two persons go to the same school and learn the same studies/skills but that doesn’t mean they are both equally good at what they do by any means ...Just to put it in perspective...my mechanic replaced my alternator and rear left muffler in about an hour and a half for $187 dollars walk out price...Yes I consider myself blessed ...just saddens me that he is a older gentleman because he will be retiring soon he said

Friend of mine brought his Toyota into an independent shop, and received news that the car needed rear linings and a rear brake hose. He asked my opinion.

I told him, from past experience on my Galaxie, that a bad rear hose can cause the rear brakes to drag, but I said not to use me as the final word.

He went to a Ford dealer who checked out the car and said the hose was fine and the brakes did not need replacing.

He then paid a visit to the first shop for a "discussion".

Members online

Back